Maybe a dumb question but...

King Tone

Inspired
Will using Flat Response monitors live sound like my power amp and regular speaker cab? The Pete Thorn video with the atomic cabs seem pretty realistic in the video but maybe I just won't know until I play them myself. I don't think I can afford $1000 to test the theory out! I have read a bit on it but it seems like the idea I am getting is it will sound like bigger/ louder studio monitors.

This topic may have been done to death but I need to hear it again…

Btw I have never once heard guitar through a normal wedge and liked it. I assume with a horn and probably an eq curve to keep the vocal mics from feeding back it never could sound right but maybe it was worth mentioning. I also have not heard a good tone through IEM so there's that.

"Will using Flat Response monitors live sound like my power amp and regular speaker cab?...."

Sort of. Heres the thing, together with a mate of mine we've been through a few grands worth of FRFR speakers and only finally settled on something that sounds and feels like a real cab to us.
As a general rule the whole point of FRFR is supposed to give you the tone the audience hears out in front of your PA system (and thats what you hear with IEM's). The problem with that is that's not the sound we're used to hearing when we stand infront of our real cabs. My biggest challenge was getting that cab in a room feel and getting away from the Flat Response that I was told I was supposed to have. If this means my patches arent going to translate to a full range PA then so be it............but they FEEL awesome to stand infront of.
I dont gig, I play for pleasure in a rehersal space and at home so I could care less if my tones sound like a PA. My criteria for my playback system was to sound like a real amp and cab but be able to use Impulse Responses to change up the tones.

I just find it really uninspiring to play when my guitar tone sounds like Im listening to a CD. Regarding the Pete Thorn clip, it does sound great. But it sounds like a great recording, not an amp in the room. To me anyway.

There are plenty of people that will disagree ......ironically they will be the ones who own a CLR, and thats human nature to defend what we've spent our hard earned money on. And if Im totally honest I would assume the people who love them are gigging and need that seemless transition to what their audience hears. Thats where true FRFR shines for them.

There really is no right or wrong answer you HAVE to play a variety of speaker to see what you like. CLRs wouldnt be so popular if people didnt like them, they just were'nt for me and the purpose for which I play.

One other thing to take into account is the IR's you are using make a massive difference to the tones you get. Ive recently bought a few of the ML Sound Lab IR packs and they are head and shoulders above anything in the preset cabs.
FRFR is a really deep rabbit hole to go down but for me I'm glad I did.
Hope this doesnt confuse you even more, lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom