Maxing out the CPU

I've been working on a patch to re-create the signature sound of Slowdive. The layout went something like this. Compressor-Drive 1{Super OD}-Drive 2{Rat}-Amp{JC-120}-to two cabs both 2x12's. Cab 1- to reverb- output. Cab2 to - Dual Delay-Pitch shift-Reverb. I can hear artifacts and the CPU is pinned. This came as quite a surprise as some of the presets have alot more effect blocks than this. I suspect one of theese effect blocks are heavy on CPU. It seems when I tweak a long Reverb time the CPU meter starts to tell me to F myself.
Are long Reverb times CPU hungry?

So I circumvented the cpu issue by splitting the signal after just one cabinet. Even was able to add a modulated lowpass filter after the amp block that follows tap tempo. Was just what I needed to add a swooshing, wave like effect. I've been chasing the elusive sound of Slowdive for years. Using the Axefx and editor i'm 90 percent of the way there in a day. I really need to get a midi foot controller so i can bypass effect blocks as needed.

Please dont be afraid to share your patches, i love slowdive!. I guess most folks here dont know who they are.

Anyhoo thanks for pioneering this.
mx

This happened to me on my Lady Gaga patch. Pitch Shifting, synths, and Megatap delays eat CPU like candy. That's why they're exclusive to the Ultra ;)

Several of my patches reach 93%+ on my Ultra's CPU, and at anything above that, I start getting glitches. Also when I approach that dreaded 94%, every control on the front panel is slow as molasses. Whenever Cliff introduces new toys in the Axe, or improces this or that, if it needs a bit more cpu it will throw these borderline patches above the sensible limit, and I have to tweak them to get rid of things to get them back to functioning again.

It's not frequent that cliff's changes need more cpu, and it's not that many patches that are running at 93% or more, so I'm living with it. It's a worthwhile compromise to get all the goodies that Cliff comes up with.

You have to learn to eliminate things you don't need, use a single cab block instead of two, or even use a mono low res cab model instead of stereo or high res, etc.

I know I couldnt find another good video showing it though so I just used this one. Does it really matter the name? After all didnt I tell you how to get the people inside it.

Back
Top Bottom