Matrix q12 or fr212

okewaja

Hi fractal people. I'm looking for a speaker for my axe fx + matrix gt1000. I'm considering matrix q12 or fr212. I see in specs that they have different drivers, q12 has coaxial and fr212 neodymium. I'm just curious if are there any noticable sonic differences between these two products? I mean except the power, size and number of speakers.

Get in thouch with matrix, great company and they will give you all the info u need. I had q12s, liked them but unless i have to i prefer real guitar cab so i got nl12s....love them. But played last gigs in ny and europe all frfr....kind of getting used to it, but i dont think frfr will ever satisfy me for stage sound as much as real cab.

Get in thouch with matrix, great company and they will give you all the info u need. I had q12s, liked them but unless i have to i prefer real guitar cab so i got nl12s....love them. But played last gigs in ny and europe all frfr....kind of getting used to it, but i dont think frfr will ever satisfy me for stage sound as much as real cab.

Can you put your finger on what it is that keeps you wanting to go back to real cabs instead of frfr? Is there a specific thing you are able to focus on like lack of low end, sterile-sounding, etc. that separates the two? I love the convenience of being able to take advantage of the cab sims but seems like real cabs have s certain thump that sounds better in some situations.

When I'm playing thru my computer via USB, the cab sims sound absolutely awesome. I think most would agree that it gets tougher to find a perfect solution for live use.

Well when i record i love the frfr thing...thats what i do since almost 2 years now. But when i play in a club or rehearse in a room where you hear all instruments also in their natural way, frfr sounds odd to me...again it all changes when i am in a big venue and on a huge stage, than the cab sound isnt that important anymore.

But in other cases, cab is for me the real thing, micing it up, micing drums up, micing saxophone, trumpet, vocals, acoustic guitar etc....its a compromise.
It never sounds to me as good as the natural, acoustic sound....ofcourse there are artistic ways, sounds you can create but we are not talking about this now. So the cab is the way i started listening, playing an electric guitar....means thats the most natural way it sounds to me.....but things can change, years might pass and i might get more used to frfr and i am sure there will be better IRs, speakers and all...thats how i feel by now.

I cant tell you what exactly it is, but cab is for me much more ear friendly, more beautiful sounding than IRs...or better than miced up cab sound through PA...

Can you put your finger on what it is that keeps you wanting to go back to real cabs instead of frfr? Is there a specific thing you are able to focus on like lack of low end, sterile-sounding, etc. that separates the two? I love the convenience of being able to take advantage of the cab sims but seems like real cabs have s certain thump that sounds better in some situations.

When I'm playing thru my computer via USB, the cab sims sound absolutely awesome. I think most would agree that it gets tougher to find a perfect solution for live use.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have experience with the Q12 but I have had the FR212 ( 2 of them now!) for a while now. Amazing cabs. If FRFR is what you like but are afraid of missing that on stage feel the FR212 is what you are lookng for. It has that "air movement" feel of a traditional cab but is still FRFR so you get the most out of your AXE!

I like the idea of simulating cab on frfr but I also understand the point of playing on real cab. Anyway, thx for replies...

Have 3 q12's. 2 passive and 1 active. Love them. Sound, weight, power. Never played fr212.

For the FR212 users.
The FR212 along with the Matrix Amp and Axe FXII … do the FR212's sound good at low volume like the active Atomic CLR?
Not trying to hash-up an argument between the two camps … I simply want to know if 'users' are happy at low volume since most
amps require high levels close to break-up to sound good.
Thanx

I haven't used my FR212s at lower levels much but they sounded great to me. Usually I have headphones or studio monitors going for quieter noodeling

Back
Top Bottom