Matrix or VHT?

svanangen

Hi all!

First post here from a new Axe-FX II owner! I find the forum very helpful and I thought I'd throw out a first question. I'm thinking of going the "power amp in to guitar cabs"-route and I have my eye on the Matrix 1000 (or possibly the Retro-channel..). My cabs are 2 old EV-loaded Boogie Thieles. However, an opportunity arose to buy a used VHT 2/50/2 for a little less money than a new Matrix so now I can't really decide. I don't have a chance to listen to the Matrix before ordering, so what say you all?

Is the VHT worth the extra weight or am I better off with a Matrix?

or you can wait another week or so and check out the new VHT/Fyette power amp targeted spefically for Modelers.

Given the better algos of the Axe ll I would be in the Matrix camp, less weight and no maintenance to deal with.

I am selling a matrix gt1000fx.
Hands down matrix mate, after i got mine i sold my vht and mesa!!!
I am only selling as i am gonna be a dad soon and need cash otherwise the matrix would be going nowhere!

I was told by a dealer who called Fryette and they said it was at least 10 weeks out. MAP is $1,299
10 weeks really? Damn that's thanksgiving time.
I knew the MAP pricing already but I was under the impression these were on their way.
well that kind of sucks

I was pretty much sold on the matrix but Im thinking the retro channel poweramp might be a better fit for me since i want a power amp that is really good at running my axefx into a 412 and having the same punch as a 100 watt tube AMP. We should prolly wait for scott petersons review of this fine unit!

Well, since trying a couple of different applications I must say that this seems most appealing. I'm gonna give FRFR a go!
RCF is expensive but way worth it. I had a cheap frfr set up at first and it sucked. These monitors have replaced my marshall 4x12 cabs. What ever cab you like, with a power amp thats the only tone you get. The whole idea of having an Axe II is getting many tones and amps and cabs/IR's, you simply do not have that luxury with traditional cabs a n power amps.

Sold my 10 year old Mesa 2:90......Matrix all the way.....5 months later....still awesome. This is from a guy who could NEVER find a solid state amp that sounded as good as my Mesa......my Matrix sounds better.

RCF is expensive but way worth it. I had a cheap frfr set up at first and it sucked. These monitors have replaced my marshall 4x12 cabs. What ever cab you like, with a power amp thats the only tone you get. The whole idea of having an Axe II is getting many tones and amps and cabs/IR's, you simply do not have that luxury with traditional cabs a n power amps.
I'm torn on which way to go here as I've tried a couple of mid priced FRFR solutions and wnet back to my Mesa 50/50 and my recto cab.
Will one RCf at house volumes (noit gigging but paractice volumes) feel like a real cab? I've found that the FRFR cabs I've tried so far were missing that "girth" that "thickness" a real cab gives you.
down side of it is everything sounds like it's coming thru a V30 cab , welll because it is.

I'm torn on which way to go here as I've tried a couple of mid priced FRFR solutions and wnet back to my Mesa 50/50 and my recto cab.
Will one RCf at house volumes (noit gigging but paractice volumes) feel like a real cab? I've found that the FRFR cabs I've tried so far were missing that "girth" that "thickness" a real cab gives you.
down side of it is everything sounds like it's coming thru a V30 cab , welll because it is.
- Thats Exactly the point. YES they sound Huge. I do not play death metal, but plenty of Metal as it was known prior to death, dark or whatever. Next to a 4x12 they are ginormous sounding and hands down retired my 4x12 v30 cabs. They also have a 3d quality to them that is better to my ears than a traditional cab too.
Having said that I owned the matrix and it was slightly better than the Art, but if i ever got a back up rig it would be the mesa 20/20 for rock and metal due the cab I have

Thanks, everybody for chiming in! As I stated afterbhaving tried the afxII in a few different configurations I realized that the power amp-guitar cab was not for me. So, after reading up thoroughly I ordered the RCF NX10-SMA today! I don't play with very high gain all that often and I don't tune down so I think the 10 will do just fine. Found a store that sells it 200 euros cheaper than most and 500 euros cheaper than what most places charge for the 12! Excited!

- Thats Exactly the point. YES they sound Huge. I do not play death metal, but plenty of Metal as it was known prior to death, dark or whatever. Next to a 4x12 they are ginormous sounding and hands down retired my 4x12 v30 cabs. They also have a 3d quality to them that is better to my ears than a traditional cab too.
Having said that I owned the matrix and it was slightly better than the Art, but if i ever got a back up rig it would be the mesa 20/20 for rock and metal due the cab I have

I don't play death metal either , I am more of a 'shred" Satch.Greg Howe, Vinnie Moore type of player, but I like to write on my 7 strings and I do play stuff like DT and Nevermore.
I too am leaning towards an RCF (My Mesa 50/50 may be sold this afternoon :) )
Is there a return policy with these things?

Well everyone has different tastes, but I would go matrix. No tubes to maintain, it ways a ton less and it's awesome. Lol. I play in a grindy metalcore band and a post-Black metal/post-metal band and the matrix is awesome. The guitarist from pig destroyer uses them and they have no bassist, so you know it has to be good. I've seen YouTube clips comparing both and the differences are so small I wouldn't think twice. Good hunting!

Back
Top Bottom