Matrix NL212

Jan Geerts

Experienced
This 212 is loaded with Celestion Neo Creambacks.
I have two excellent sounding Zilla cabs, a 112 with a M Creamback, and one with Scumback M and H speakers. I wasn't missing out on tone. But, with a bad back, I can't lift the 212 and the 112 barely. Next to the synths, stands etc, I lug to gigs, my back is usually hurting before the gig starts.

So, unpacking the NL212 was a wow moment, I can hold it with one hand without putting a strain on my back.
I hooked it up to the AIII and two Pedalbaby's, and yes, it does sound big, defintely more lowend than the larger 212 Zilla.
Second wow, but the last.
It does sound quieter, I had to turn up the volume considerably compared with the Zilla's. It also seem to be less immediate.
In terms of character, I wouldn't have guessed it was related to the M Creamback. It is pretty flat, and a bump in the mids and taming above 8k seems advisable. For squeaky cleans with lots of fx, it's very good. For plexi sounds, less so. A lot of that mid growl is in the Greenbacks apparently. So my idea for ir lights to go with that kind of speakers still lives on. With cab modelling on, it doesn't work for me either.

Would I have a good back, I'd probably return the cab. But I don't, so I won't. I'll tweak some more, maybe the speakers need playing in, and look forward to using it with the band, when rehearsing is possible again.

I've found two Scumback M75s. I'll put them in, that makes the cab 16kg, which is still managable. That'll be the best comparison with the 212 Zilla, loaded with a M75 and H55
Today, I've been playing and tweaking it and, I am getting used to it. Putting it on the same height as my other cabs helped.

Ok, so a couple of weeks later. I'm not replacing the speakers. Maybe they're broken in now, anyway, it more than holds its own next to the Zilla 212.
And since my back went out again, I'm getting a second one by the time gigs are possible once more.

I love the weight of the the NL212s. I did have to make global adjustments to Output 2 to get the NL212 output with cab sims off to sound similar to my studio monitors Output 1 that obviously was using cab sims. Basically took out all the lows at and below 63k and most of the highs above 8k. I think I pulled out most of 8k and all of 16k. Maybe a slight mid hump and I was in the ball park.

Back
Top Bottom