Matrix NL212 tweaks

urowinner

Matrix NL212 EQ?

I'm a new Matrix GT1000FX/NL212 owner. Although I've only put an hour of playing time on the new cab, I notice a high frequency fizz when I use a high gain amp or a drive pedal with gain. Low gain amps and clean patches sound great. Global cab sims are off, gain staging isn't clipping, power amp is in stereo or mono mode (not bridged or parallel), global EQ flat.

I've read that the freq response of this cab extends wider than a typical guitar cab, so I can do some global EQ tweaks to rein the high frequencies in. I've also read accounts on this forum that the high frequencies "warm up" when the speakers get broken in over time. I'd love to know if other NL212 owners experienced this same gain fizz and if so, what (if any) EQ tweaks they made. I just want it to sound great, regardless of the gain of the amp or drive.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm running a similar setup, GT1000FX > 2 x NL212 (L+R).

I've read that the freq response of this cab extends wider than a typical guitar cab

Indeed and it is noticed by far and I'm talking about a comparison I did my self (many and many hours) vs. the following cabs:
Mesa / Boogie Thiele Design EVM12L (old cabs).
ENGL 4x12.
Carvin 2x12 (V30's).
Marshall 4x12 (JVM).
The NL212 are more detailed by far!

I notice a high frequency fizz when I use a high gain amp or a drive pedal with gain.
Global cab sims are off

Problem and reason are above.

I run my XL with cab sim ON all the time, it sound great with the NL's.
Try it.

Hey Jollo,

Your EQ settings are certainly on the right track. We have had many people get great results with the cabs in both "with cab sims" and "without cab sims" use. Some are happy with the EQ settings flat, others need a bit of a tweak ... what it usually comes down to is for use without cab sims, an HF cut along the lines you have done. For use with cab sims, an HF boost. Some people are quite happy without any EQ tweaks .. it all depends on you and your ears really.

As the OP noted, its really on the "high gain" stuff that you may find cab sims OFF is a bit fizzy, a simple drop in the EQ around/above 8K usually solves it, but as ever, use your ears :)

And of course, we have plenty of people using them with traditional valve amps as well, and just getting great tone in the usual way.

I'm not going to confirm or deny the speaker type, company policy is that we do not indicate speaker types, brands or modifications to drivers. I will tell you that by far and away, the vast majority of our drivers are custom built.

Thank you for the info Robin. Do you have any advice on where to set the Low Res Frequency on the speaker page of the amp block for the NL212?

Unless I have this completely wrong, and I am certain someone will tell me if I do, my understanding is that the Low Res emulates the effect speaker loading has on the amplifier when it hits its low tuning point. Basically, there is a certain frequency on any cab that produces a minimum impedance, and this setting emulates that, and applies a similar loading onto the amp model. You'll basically get a little more distortion around that frequency as the amp is having to work a little harder.

So, for example, if you were attempting to reproduce exactly what a JCM 800 sounds like when driving a 1972 Mesa rectifier cab, you would use the JCM 800 amp model, the 1972 Mesa Rectifier cab IR and set the cab low res setting to the same point that the real cab hits its low resonance, and this would correctly "load" the amp, just like the real speaker did, and get you a little closer to the exactly original sound.

Now, as the NL212 is not trying to be anything, or sound "exactly" like anything else, you can put the low freq resonance onto the amp at whatever point sounds best to you. You *could* put it at the point that the NL212 actually is, but, there is nothing to say you HAVE to put it there, or that frequency is where it will sound "best". So, it's really up to you .. just try adjusting it one way or another and see how it sounds to YOU.

The cab is actually tuned to around 70 Hz, so if you have a genuine Fender head that you use with your NL212 and you are trying to get the exact same sound with yur AxeFX, then 70 Hz would be a good place to start. If you only use an axe FX and are just trying to get "great tone" then the best place is most probably someplace else, and will only be found by experiment, there is nothing at all to suggest you have to use the same setting as the speaker is in real life, and indeed on FRFR systems, you would almost never use the same settign as the FRFR is tuned to, you would use the settign that most correctly emulates the thing you are trying to copy .. or whatever sounds "best" to your ear.

Thats my understanding of it anyway :)

I haven't been on the forum in a few days so I missed the helpful conversation. Thanks for the responses and advice! I'll try all your suggestions and see what works on my rig.

Just picked up a brand new NL212 and experienced the same type of fizz. Tried the settings Jollo mentioned, that helped quite a bit. This is my first time using Matrix stuff (amp and cab). So far it sounds great! No cab sims either. The cab is so light for a 2x12, amazing!

I have the same setup as you. I think the speaker in the NL212 is the Celestion G12 Century Vintage. If that is correct, here is the speaker's frequency plot:
View attachment 24605

To me, it leans a little towards the bright side from 2 to 4k, so I'm using the global EQ to tame it a little:
View attachment 24606

-2dB at 2K, -1dB at 4k, -8dB at 8k and 16k all the way down.
Cabinet sims are off.
I'm setting the Low Res Freq. on the Speaker page of the amp block to 85Hz.

This is just an idea to try, it's easy to put back if you don't like it. :)

Hi Jollo, are you able to re-post your attachments? They seem to have disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom