Matrix GT800fx v GT1000fx - review + vids

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK, so ive been using the GT800fx for a year now, and today got the new GT1000fx. I have compared the two amps and taken some short videos. Nothing special, and no time for more as the 800 is already sold and needs shipping later today.

So - immediate thoughts. the 1000 is definitely more open than the 800, kind of hard to explain but i home the vids get it across. Theres also some top end presence on the 1000 thats missing on the 800 and these two things combined do make it seem more "valve like". Despite these changes the freq response is still flat - not quite sure how that is possible but it is. These changes also alter how things like pinched harmonics react - much better. The notes seem to jump out more than on the 800. Controlled feedback is easier too - though not a lot, however I have only played at home volumes so far so thats not really an issue. The 800 manages it at higher volumes (gig levels0 but struggles a little at lower levels - the 1000 seems a little better there.

not a lot more I can say, as its not really a review but a comparison and there pretty close actually. id be happy with either amp but the 1000 is certainly a notch better. its evolutionary not revolutionary and kind of similar to the AFX ultra and the AFX2 in the early FW iterations of the 2.

so - where do the amps fit. The 1000 is IMO worth the extra £100 over the 800 IF you have the money and IF your buying new. If you cant stretch to the 1000, the 800 is still a very good amp and worth the asking price but id suggest if you can stretch you do. Whether its worth replacing an existing 800 with a 1000 is a different question. if you want the best, or are picky - then yes, if your tight on cash and a home/amateur player then no maybe not. What it will mean is some 800s available on the used market and if thats where you looking at buying then the 800 and probably half the price of a new 1000 is still really good valve, and it will put that used amp in the same kind of as a new Art SLA2 - that choice is a no brainer.

Anyway - some vid links. ive not actually played them back yet so they wont be great, but hoping you get the differences. There are 3, but the last is still uploading. ill link it when its done.

This one is the 800:

GT800FX v GT1000 pt 1 800 - YouTube

This one is the 1000:

GT800FXvGT1000 pt 21000 - YouTube

This one is both in the same vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgCJ...DvjVQa1PpcFP448rrmMzK1lzFXyYoMflxzNTwU2LKGaA=

Last edited:
I have been playing the GT1000FX for a couple of weeks now. I used to own the 800 but didn't have them at the same time. I concur with your views on the 1000. It does feel more open. I really like it.
It's like going from the 800=EL34's to 1000=6L6's. You get more bottom and top end from the 1000 and more open feel.

I think the 1000FX is slightly louder in the clips and thus it can be easy for the viewer to prefer that one. I prefer the 1000FX clips, but I'm not sure if it's due to the volume or if I'm hearing it right. The 1000 seems to have more treble response.

Paul do you have any passive FR cabs that you can run through the paces? I know your more of a guitar cab guy but for the FR crowd it would be nice to hear the differences.

Sorry, dont have any FRFR cabs :( want to get some though. im waiting for Matrix to release their powered FRFR so they can concentrate on a passive version (hopefully).

The volumes were close in the room, but not identical. the 1000 is a little bit more powerful (obviously) and on the "both together" clip the 1000 was fed with a jack while the 800 had an XLR feed.

The 1000 does seem to have a little more presence though yes. Its even nicer with a Strat :)

Thanks for posting these up, 1000 sounds great .......did they fix the "turn on/off plops" ?

Still pops a little, but nowhere near as loud as the 800. i always had to turn the AFX off first with the 800 - not so with the 1000.

Im at work so i havent listened to the videos yet, but im just curious cause it isnt mentioned. I am assuming the same patch on the axe was used and no tweeking was done between the 800 and 1000?

yep - same patch no tweeking.

the first 2 vids were done via the same OP on the AFX which is EQd for quieter volumes (anti FM curve), while the 3rd vid with them both playing was from the other OP EQd flat for gig volumes. It was the only way I could feed both amps at the same time, as the GT1000 is wired in the rack (I have a real panel so its enclosed). That may make the guitar tone better or worse dependant on your views - BUT both amps got the same EQ curve when being directly compared (vid 1 to vid 2 OR in vid 3).

Right Paul .... gimme a run down on safe volume knob output settings for this thing

I have a 2x12 loaded with 8 ohm 200W rms EVM12s - if I use both inputs on the cab input plate it's stereo/dual mono so 2 x 200 @ 8 Ohm - if I use one input on the back it switches to a 400W @ 4Ohm mono cab

I want to just use the Output 2 level knob from the Axe to adjust playing volume to the cab

I don't think I'll be going bridged if I can help it - so I think using just one side of the Matrix for mono I'd set it's volume knob to 4 o'clock (speaker rating 400W @ 4 ohm) and if I use 2 channels (speaker rating = 2 x 200W @ 8 ohm) then I'd set the volumes on the Matrix at around 2 or 3 o'clock?

So - to keep it simple - best safe position to cover both options is probably 2 o'clock? Or should I just whack them full up (5 o'clock) and just take care to not ever turn the Axe output 2 up full?

I can't see me ever needing to turn the Axe output up to actually clip the inputs at those settings without being deafening - but want to make sure any transients have a bit of headroom to work with.

Thanks Paul. There does seem to be a little more high end or bite or something, but it's subtle (at least on youtube video). It reminds me of when I turn up the Dynamics control in the amp sims.

To me the 1000 doesn't sound any different to the 800 in those vids, of course crappy youtube compression leaving it difficult to judge properly. Nevertheless thanks for the demo, my interest has been piqued once again.

I think I heard more bass for sure and an 'airiness' in the highs - it sounds like it would do nice things with speakers at a higher volume - which I intend to find out for myself tomorrow!

Right Paul .... gimme a run down on safe volume knob output settings for this thing

I have a 2x12 loaded with 8 ohm 200W rms EVM12s - if I use both inputs on the cab input plate it's stereo/dual mono so 2 x 200 @ 8 Ohm - if I use one input on the back it switches to a 400W @ 4Ohm mono cab

I want to just use the Output 2 level knob from the Axe to adjust playing volume to the cab

I don't think I'll be going bridged if I can help it - so I think using just one side of the Matrix for mono I'd set it's volume knob to 4 o'clock (speaker rating 400W @ 4 ohm) and if I use 2 channels (speaker rating = 2 x 200W @ 8 ohm) then I'd set the volumes on the Matrix at around 2 or 3 o'clock?

So - to keep it simple - best safe position to cover both options is probably 2 o'clock? Or should I just whack them full up (5 o'clock) and just take care to not ever turn the Axe output 2 up full?

I can't see me ever needing to turn the Axe output up to actually clip the inputs at those settings without being deafening - but want to make sure any transients have a bit of headroom to work with.

OK. Personally Id use mono for a guitar cab anyway. That way your pushing 500w into a 400w cab when the matrix is flat out. Personally I think thats fine - dime the AFX OPs and the Matrix OPs, leaving your cab unplugged. Set the gain level in the global OP so that the "protect" light on the Matrix lights up on your loudest patch and any vol/lead boosts engaged - that means your clipping. Back the gain off by 3db or so, which will leave you some headroom, and mean your MAx power into the cab (providing you dont use that headroom is around 250w. If thats not loud enough your deaf :) but you CAN raise that gain slider another 2db and your speakers will still be safe.

if you want to use stereo - then do the same thing but back off your gain slider by 5db rather than 3. That will put a max of around 150w from each channel into your 200w speakers while giving you 5db of clean headroom.

To me the 1000 doesn't sound any different to the 800 in those vids, of course crappy youtube compression leaving it difficult to judge properly. Nevertheless thanks for the demo, my interest has been piqued once again.

There is a difference - but yeh its subtle. The 800 is thicker in the mids with a little less bottom and presence. The 1000 is more open with a bigger freq response - or so it appears. kind of in the same way a Mesa Mk amp is thick (8000 while a Marshall is more open (1000). not a great analogy but im trying to give examples you can relate to. Its not as big a difference as those two amps/makes.

I think the 1000 sounds WAY better! :)

I kid.. just excited because my 1000 is on the way. Actually they both sound great and almost identical. Can you detect any difference in 'feel'? More sag?

Back
Top Bottom