MATRIX GT800FX + ULTRA + CAB?

VITCHPAT1

Hi guys,

I need some advice please. I am about to order a GT800FX but can not make up my mind for the cab.
I have been using my Ultra with a FBT verve 12MA since six months but whilst I am happy with the Verve at home, on reversal or on stage I am really missing the cab feel and need more sound definition.

My first thought was to go for a Mesa 2x12 Three-Quarter Back (180W at 8 Ohm) as I have read good review of this cab and overall I am often using IR of Mesa cabs in my presets.

For those using already the GT800FX or other power amps can you please share your experience on the cab selection.

Thanks for your help and sorry for my poor English.

I use a custom built 2x12 with one G12h and one V30. I do like that mix anyway, but it is only rated at 60W. Many load 2x12s with EV12ls - there pretty neutral and allow you to keep the cab sims on in general - while giving you the "on stage" feel you miss with FRFR. It also handles LOADS of power - basically giving you a 800W cab (though the drivers are heavey) Ultimately, if you like the Mesa cabs - the one your looking at is very nice.

Other "stock" cabs to look at - maybe the Fryette Fatbottom 2x12, or the Bogner oversized 2x12. Both those are excellent cabs.

Thanks Paul. I have tried a Fryette Fatbottom 2x12 and it is indeed a very good cab.

Do you keep your cab sim with your custom cab?

Im going to be running with a set of EV live x passives powered by my Matrix. I was keen on the EVM12L classic after reading peoples experiences but have been unable to source a decent 2x12 cab for them here in Aus. Hopefully the sound through the live x's will be close to the sound through the FOH live.

I also tried a Mesa 4x12 and a Marshall 1960a 4x12 with the Matrix neither of them really buttered me up. The Mesa was way too bottom heavy (alot of tweaking to get rid of this) whereas the Marshall it was hard to impossible to dial out the Mid 'Fizz'. I will report more about the EV's when I get the change to have a proper play.

Thanks for your input guys. The EVM12L seems to very popular.
Any other users using EVM12L or Beyma's or others cabs?

Hi Guys. Just tried the EV Live x ELX112 (passive) with my Matrix and Standard. Best sound I have ha so far, by a long shot. Using ownhammer IR's. I have also tried a Marshall 1960a 4x12, A Mesa 4x12, and a Orange 2x12 with the Matrix. This blows all them out of the water by a considerable margin.

Tomorrow I will be ordering another. FR gave me the results I wanted straight away. Wish Id tried sooner.

(Edit) By the way I will try get a video up as proof

I have a matrix amp and no matter what solidstate poweramp I'm using it wouldnt have much influence on the cab I choose. I mean that from a tone perspective. For me all the solidstate poweramps are sort of in the same ballpark. Some sound better then others but they are all kind of close in flavor. I love the Voodoo Amps 4x12 cabs with mixed speakers I have one with (2)V30s and (2)T75s in an X pattern and it sounds amazing. It also gives you the flexibility of getting 2 totally different mic-ed speaker tones. I'd checkout their line of stuff. And Trace the owner is a great guy he will answer all your questions.

I use the AXE with a GT800FX into a Genz-Benz G-flex 212 Cab ... awesome combination and portable ;-)

Many thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated.

I think that I will try the EVM12l.
@Yek, your TT cabs have a nice look, I suppose that TT cabs have advise on the cabs specs matching the EVM12l?

Many thanks for your feedback guys, much appreciated.

I think that I will try the EVM12l.
@Yek, your TT cabs have a nice look, I suppose that TT cabs have advise on the cabs specs matching the EVM12l?

TT Cabs also make a Thiele cab for the EVM, but they advised against choosing that one, because I preferred the signal to be as flat as possible. They did add a bass port to get a more linear respons. I just followed their advice. I have no specs or knowledge in this area.

Note that probably any good guitar speaker will work to get the "balls" back into the tone. It's just that the EVMs are more neutral than others, and therefore lend themselves better to the additional use of cab sims (if desired).

Last edited:
It's just that the EVMs are more neutral than others, and therefore lend themselves better to the additional use of cab sims (if desired).

Well I have created a few synth sounds that are used in our set and I presume that they sound will better in a EVM rather than in the C90 of the the Mesa cab...

@Maxwell I am curious if you are still using and liking the ELX112 passives? I am currently using an atomic passive and I like it, but my band just bought the powered ELX112P for FOH. I figure the passives will get me a good indication of my tone going to FOH.

I'm using my Ultra with a GT800FX going into a a 4x12 marshall annivesary cab (75's) and a zilla 2x12 cab with 2 EVM 12L 80's both a 4 ohms (so around 400 watts each cab). Cab sims turned OFF.

Every time I switch it all on I'm loving it even more.. things become more logical and the learnign curve drops...

I love the power and sound of the 2x12 cab.. natural sounding and clear.. where as the marshall brings an element of "guitar" cab to the sound.. duller but in a good way.

Love it!

What do you folks think: are EV'S better on open or closed back 2x12 cab? I kind of like to move to 1/3 open back, because i use pretty much blackface patches. Also i dont like a way that closed back directs sound too much. I now have matrix with 2x12 Koch closed back cab (V30 and G12H heritage inside).

Back
Top Bottom