Matrix GT1600FX

I find it really hard to believe you could clip a 1600watt power amp.... how loud would that have to be?!

Keep in mind that the 1600W rating is bridged mono at 8 Ohms. It is 240W per channel at 16 Ohms stereo.

Still, that is likely to be very loud when it reaches the clipping point unless the speakers in use are really inefficient.

I find it really hard to believe you could clip a 1600watt power amp.... how loud would that have to be?! my seven string and two 4x12 8 ohm cabinets it was not that hard to do on a palm mute.
In an instrumental band with a 7 string going into two 4x12 8 ohm cabinets, it was not hard to do on a palm mute.

It’s also important to remember that as guitar players, we are used to our tube guitar amps clipping and we like the sound of it. I don’t think most guitar players realize how often they clip they output section of their tube amps, which is basically every time you palm mute, or in the case of some older fender amps, any time you play even moderately loud. Tube power amps have a slower, softer onset of clipping that produces a pleasant sounding distortion which may not even sound like distortion, but that we recognize as that “tube” sound.

In this sense it is very important to understand the difference between a transformer-less switch mode power supply power amp and the power amp section of a tube amp. Two very very different types of clipping, one happens all the time and is desirable, the other is very ugly and should be avoided at all costs…

Last edited:
Ok. The older amps did not have the clip lights on them and just had signal lights. Those were basically pink coloured. Newer models have signal and clip. Signal is now green and clip is red. It is unusual to get one of the amps to clip especially with that much power available. Sometimes you see a "bleed" from the signal lights illuminating and pseudo lighting the clip LED with reflection giving a soft light. Obviously if the red clip is lighting up hard then that is not the case. It is the number one reason our amps have that much power in them to avoid clipping at all costs. I remember in the early days someone asked us for a custom "2000" from one of the PA amps as all they ran was backline no micing up from the PA and basically ran a wall of amps to the audience direct. Different circumstance and playing styles and genres so different horses for different courses as they say. That's why we have the bigger amps just in case people do need the extra. For 99% of players though the 800 and 1000 are more than enough.

ok! so we were both right. Thank you so much for clearing that up.

also, any plans for the FR212A to be back in stock?

At home, I can either go stereo from fxiii to matrix to my Yamaha studio monitors or headrush frfr’s.

On stage I usually go mono into a Marshall cab.

Any thoughts on which might sound better @home?

Do I need a power amp with my home setup?

If yes, do I need to enable or disable the power amp in the fxiii?

At home, I can either go stereo from fxiii to matrix to my Yamaha studio monitors or headrush frfr’s.

On stage I usually go mono into a Marshall cab.

Any thoughts on which might sound better @home?

Do I need a power amp with my home setup?

If yes, do I need to enable or disable the power amp in the fxiii?
You wont need a power amp with studio monitors, unless they are not powered, same with the headrush, since that is powered you wont need it. You also dont need to disable power amp modeling either, regardless of what way you go. The matrix is really neutral and benefits from having it on. I leave power amp modeling on, and cab sims on when i play live with my ENGL power amp and my Marshall 4x12's. I just prefer the sound i get

I'm trying to decide on a Matrix power amp too...

As I mentioned in another thread, I want to run active monitors like HS8's or CLR's (e.g. Atomic) on either side of a Boogie 4x12 (just experimenting at home). I assume since the cab is 240w that the GT1600FX would be overkill. The GT800FX might be more appropriate.

I'm trying to decide on a Matrix power amp too...

As I mentioned in another thread, I want to run active monitors like HS8's or CLR's (e.g. Atomic) on either side of a Boogie 4x12 (just experimenting at home). I assume since the cab is 240w that the GT1600FX would be overkill. The GT800FX might be more appropriate.
I have HS8's with the matching sub. Have used them for a few years and they are very good for studio mixing and sound very good with the AxeFx 3.

Just got a Matrix GT1000fx 2U used unit out of curiosity and pulled out an old 1 x12 cab with a V30 in it I had laying around.

Might be the cheapest and best upgrade I have made in a long time. The Axe FX 3 has never sounded better.
Wish I would have done this years ago.

Been using the Matrix XT 800 - which is the "pro P.A" version - as far as I can tell its exactly the same and spec'd exactly the same as the GT 800.

I run it through a Celestion F12-X200 in a custom spec'd Celestion Cab. It is STONKINGLY ABSURDLY RIDUCULOULSY OBSCENLY LOUD ..... I play with a 2nd guitarist and the loudest drummer and bass player in the known universe :) and I NEVER run it past 3.00 on the dial and my FM3 / Helix / GT 1000 are running at no more than %60 of the full 0db limit ..... and there is still a mountain of volume / headroom left :)

You will NEVER need anything louder ..... if you do you WILL start going deaf or developing tinnitus.

Just get the GT 800 ..... its astonishingly good and the Fan noise is a total %1000 non-issue for rehearsal / live use.

Ben
Best reply ever!

This is a great video on how Metallica's guitar tech sets up the Matrix Amp. The guitar tech says "If you set it up at the right level they really jump" . The volume of the amp is at around 1 or 2 o'clock. This is just one perspective but this guitar tech really knows what he is talking about so I borrowed a few ideas he talked about. I can't remember if this forum likes YouTube links so Look up the YouTube video :

Metallica: A Look at James & Kirk's Guitar Rigs​

Back
Top Bottom