Matrix GT1000FX v Fryette Power Station

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK. I A/Bd these in a shop initially. Id used the Fryette Power station when trying a Friedman Buxom Betty, and was so impressed by the tonal match between fryette and Friedman when the volume was equal that I returned with my AFX rig.

Initial impressions on a clean tone were the the two were very similar. They were so close I thought "not worth swapping". however I kept going, and slowly added gain. With some bluesy stuff the differences started to show. The Power Stations bass response isnt as low (in Freq) but that meant there was more a a clunk to the attack rather than a thump from the Matrix (sound is so hard to describe). The low mids on the Fryette were more transparent and the separation was better.

The more gain I added, the more the difference showed, and with some high gain stuff the Fryette just shone. So much more separation, more low end wallop in the ribs. The Matrix by comparison had more bottom end but it was more woofy. The low mids were more congested so made for a less dynamic tone.

As I say - Sooo hard to describe tone. Upper frequencies didnt show much - if any - difference. It is literally in the bass and low mids that the differences showed. Upshot is my Matrix is now a backup (and for sale for the right cash) while I bought the Power Station for use with the AFX rig.

Once recorded, the low mid/bass thing does come across more on the cleans than when listening in the flesh. Probably a volume thing.

Ive done 2 vids (I used an A/B switcher in the shop but dont have one). One for the MAtrix and one for the Fryette. I used the same guitars and patches. A strat on neck PU, and pos 4 for clean into a DR patch, a PRS CU22 (with BK Mules) into a Cameron patch - two levels of gain, bridge PU, and a Suhr Modern into a Custom Audio patch. I dint play the exact same thing as I just cant remember what I play when jamming - BUT they are similar riffs/lines etc. Camera wasnt moved - though it is only a Samsung camera in video mode so not great. Volume wasnt fantastic loud or the mic would clip. Hopefully it will show the differences though - and with two clips you can run both together and find similar tones/lines to a/B fairly quickly.

So - Matrix:

Fryette:

Let me know thoughts. Normal caveats about YouTube compression, and how you listen to the clips apply. Id also add the Fryette has Presence and Depth controls. They are both set to noon, which from my time using it with the Fryette seemed the most neutral HOWEVER, you could probably use them to better match the Matrix - and of course gives some you some room to match a room live as well.

Last edited:
Hey Paul - I've always yearned for a tube power amp and have never snagged one. Using a carvin dcm 1540 which has done well. Did you notice any coloring going on when switching between amps? I've always loved how clear of a tone change the amp models are when using a ss amp like matrix or carvin.

Its pretty similar to the Matrix to be honest, except that more transparent low mid/bottom. Kind of has be be for the Fryette to work as in its main function - as an attenuation.

It works by being a reactive load taking the input from the amp down to line level, then re-amping it with its 50w PA to whatever volume you need. Consequently the re-amp side HAS to be as neutral sounding as possible, or the output would differ from the amp feeding it. Its the fact it did this so well that made me try it with the AFX.

Wouldnt the reactive load be similar to what part of the power amp sim is doing? Do you run power amps off with the fryete?

No. The reactive load bit is acting like a real speaker would - hence it reacts to frequency etc as a real speaker does. That part is the same as the Suhr reactive load. The line level signal that is produced from the load is then re-amped by the neutral power stage - BUT this is only one way the Fryette works - and its not the way it works with an AFX.

In our case, were using the PS as a mono power amp - so you go into a line level input which bypasses the reactive load part - and puts the (already line level) signal directly to the neutral power stage. Effectively its like running the AFX into a SS Power amp (ie more linear) BUT it uses a valve power stage.

Interesting. I have the Matrix (still in the trial period) but I've been curious about the Fryette. One thing I don't really understand about the Fryette is that even though it has two 6L6s (so presumably it can be considered a tube power amp), people are tending to run the power amp sims in the Axe-FX on. I understand that the Fryette is supposed to be neutral, but the whole setup has me a bit confused. I'm wondering how it sounds with amp models that really rely on running the power amp hard.

I'm also not sure whether it can be used as a dummy load for silent recording with a real amp, I've read some conflicting things on the web. Can it run without a cabinet attached? This would make for a very cool extra feature compared with the Matrix. I suppose I'm looking for some compelling reason to try it, because at the moment I'm put off by having to deal with the tubes at some point and, as I said, I'm unsure how it reacts to models that require the power section to be run hard.

Interesting. I have the Matrix (still in the trial period) but I've been curious about the Fryette. One thing I don't really understand about the Fryette is that even though it has two 6L6s (so presumably it can be considered a tube power amp), people are tending to run the power amp sims in the Axe-FX on. I understand that the Fryette is supposed to be neutral, but the whole setup has me a bit confused. I'm wondering how it sounds with amp models that really rely on running the power amp hard.

I'm also not sure whether it can be used as a dummy load for silent recording with a real amp, I've read some conflicting things on the web. Can it run without a cabinet attached? This would make for a very cool extra feature compared with the Matrix. I suppose I'm looking for some compelling reason to try it, because at the moment I'm put off by having to deal with the tubes at some point and, as I said, I'm unsure how it reacts to models that require the power section to be run hard.

It can be run as a dummy load without cab. the first ones couldn't. But the design has been changed to provide it as it was asked for.

It works fine with amp Sims on. It's perfectly possible to build a valve power amp that's neutral and doesnt compress/break up. It's what hifi valve power amps do. Of course any valve amp withh start to do this if the input signal is high and he amp is ran hot. But keep the Fryette in its linear region of around 50w and it's effectively running like a hifi amp.

Just treat it as you would a ss amp like the matrix.

There are EQ differences between the two amps. I'm away from home, listening on earphone via an iPad, so not the best environment. It sound as if the Fryette peaks around 650 Hz and is scooped around 1,250 Hz. Hopefully someone with better ears and better equipment can chime in. I'm willing to bet that it's not just static EQ either.

Back
Top Bottom