Matrix GT1000FX First Impression

I received my GT1000FX today. Matrix was a pleasure to deal with and it only took 4 days for it to get to me from the UK. The unit is solidly built very road worthy. I've only got a chance to use it for an hour but I'm very impressed with it. It doesn't feel like I'm playing through a solid state amp at all, it is very dynamic. For over a year I've been using the axe the 4cm with my Bogner XTC and I've been very happy with that set up. I originally wanted the Matrix as a back-up system. I had a tube failure once and it wasn't fun. But the Axe/Matrix combo feels and sounds so good I might just leave the Bogner home, and make this my main rig, one less thing to carry, right :D.

It was really easy to dial in my tones using the Bogner sims. I was originally thinking I would need a fare amount of time to get it dialed in. I just turned off the cab sims in my direct sounds that I use for recording and just did some minor tweaking and it is close. The real test will be this weekend during rehearsal when I get a chance to crank it up and use both rigs side by side. I'll do a more in depth review after that, it should be fun!

I received my GT1000FX today. Matrix was a pleasure to deal with and it only took 4 days for it to get to me from the UK. The unit is solidly built very road worthy. I've only got a chance to use it for an hour but I'm very impressed with it. It doesn't feel like I'm playing through a solid state amp at all, it is very dynamic. For over a year I've been using the axe the 4cm with my Bogner XTC and I've been very happy with that set up. I originally wanted the Matrix as a back-up system. I had a tube failure once and it wasn't fun. But the Axe/Matrix combo feels and sounds so good I might just leave the Bogner home, and make this my main rig, one less thing to carry, right :D.

It was really easy to dial in my tones using the Bogner sims. I was originally thinking I would need a fare amount of time to get it dialed in. I just turned off the cab sims in my direct sounds that I use for recording and just did some minor tweaking and it is close. The real test will be this weekend during rehearsal when I get a chance to crank it up and use both rigs side by side. I'll do a more in depth review after that, it should be fun!

Hey, what kind of speakers/cabs you using with the Matrix? I have two Marshall 4x12 cabs and thinking I might like something FRFR.

Hey, what kind of speakers/cabs you using with the Matrix? I have two Marshall 4x12 cabs and thinking I might like something FRFR.

At rehearsal I usually use 1 to 2 Bogner cubes loaded scumback M75 65 watts. Cause it is much easier to move around. Mainly at home I use an old 70's 4x12 Marshall cab also loaded with Scumback M75 65 watt speakers. I think i will be changing the cube speakers to 100 watt versions in the near future don't want to blow them up

Well, I had my rehearsal today. Its kinda late so I'll do a quick review. I didn't have enough time to get my whole rig together like I wanted. I just took the Axe and Matrix only. The more and more I used it the more I liked it. It is clear and punchy very easy to hear in the mix. I only used my XTC and AC30 patches and the Matrix sounds very neutral. It didn't sound like it was imparting its own tone on the patches. I really didn't miss using my real amps. It feels that close I'm really happy with this setup.

If your in the Boston area and want to check it out for yourself, I'm playing at the Cantab Lounge in Cambridge on Sat the 15th. The band name is Mistrence. You can check us out at Mistrence.com

At rehearsal I usually use 1 to 2 Bogner cubes loaded scumback M75 65 watts. Cause it is much easier to move around. Mainly at home I use an old 70's 4x12 Marshall cab also loaded with Scumback M75 65 watt speakers. I think i will be changing the cube speakers to 100 watt versions in the near future don't want to blow them up

Thanks man. What would I notice if I went to Scumbacks? Is there more of a focus on lower mids?

I have praised the Matrix amp in many threads because it's that good. After Using a Mesa 2:90 for years it is the only thing that sounded good enough to sell the Mesa.

Best way to describe it is it was the only solid state amp I ever just plugged in and my patches made for my tube poweramp worked great with no tweaking. At the same time all the amp models had more unique sound and sounded more like the amp it was modeling. The Mesa always made it sound like all amp models were similar.

So it takes the good from my Mesa and adds model separation/uniquness.

Every other solid state amp sounded thin and shrill and couldnt get that tube girth, 3D, swirl going on. It's here in spades!

I have the T-75 speakers in one cab and V30s in the other.

I find the 75 scooped so the M75s will add mids and roll some highs, I can't remember the last time I played through V30s I remember them being kinda spiky in the highs with some amps and fare amount of mids. I guess the M75s would be less spiky and mids would be a little lower in the spectrum. I've only used the M75's for a few years. I find them to be the ideal green back style speaker. I really wanna try their Blackback speakers though. They sound like a Greenback with a kick.

I have praised the Matrix amp in many threads because it's that good. After Using a Mesa 2:90 for years it is the only thing that sounded good enough to sell the Mesa.

Best way to describe it is it was the only solid state amp I ever just plugged in and my patches made for my tube poweramp worked great with no tweaking. At the same time all the amp models had more unique sound and sounded more like the amp it was modeling. The Mesa always made it sound like all amp models were similar.

So it takes the good from my Mesa and adds model separation/uniquness.

Every other solid state amp sounded thin and shrill and couldnt get that tube girth, 3D, swirl going on. It's here in spades!

After almost a week with the amp I'm very happy with my purchase and if you are thinking of getting a power amp you can't go wrong with Matrix.

I love the amp so much I ordered a 2nd one today:) GT1000FX 2U

Yes....these are awsome because they are very flat response. This route is almost like going FRFR, but still using a poweramp and cabinet. I use power amp sims on and cab sims off. The price on them is fantastic too. They will take whatever you throw at them!

Hey Tremonti,

Just to confirm...are these the ones you are talking about "Eminence Delta Pro-12A 400". Eminence Delta Pro-12A 400 Watt 12" Speaker 8 Ohm New! | eBay

I might try these out... :)

Thanks,
Derek

In the business for over 30 years...never heard anything that weights, sounds, and have such a small size for a guitar power amp. They for sure they have a winner. JMO

In the business for over 30 years...never heard anything that weights, sounds, and have such a small size for a guitar power amp. They for sure they have a winner. JMO

+1

My experience with the GM50 has been amazing! It's an awesome amp!

Back
Top Bottom