Matrix GM50 vs Dayton Power Amp?

CactusTone

Inspired
Just read on the new XiTone site that the active models are being made with Dayton power amps. Has anyone played through one? Thoughts?

Just read on the new XiTone site that the active models are being made with Dayton power amps. Has anyone played through one? Thoughts?

Yes, sounds excellent.
I have a passive XiTone that I power (in my basement) with a Crown K2.
Mick let me borrow the XiTone with the Dayton power amp and I liked it better than my passive.

Yes the Dayton is fine, and it’s features like Bluetooth are great. The MBritt is excellent for back line and side fill and it’s nice to see @MicFarlow s site
Updated and looking good

I forgot about that Bluetooth option.
No, it's not very useful for use with the Axe, but when Mick let me borrow that wedge with the Dayton, I was about to work out in my basement and thought, hey let me just see if I can quickly pair my phone with the XiTone and listen to some tunes.....5 seconds later, Pantera ripping through the basement. Cool little feature which can be useful if you ever need to get some audio through a quality speaker (with no cables!)

Thanks for the replies. I should've specified that I'm interested in hearing about the sound quality. Good to know about the features though.

Thanks for the replies. I should've specified that I'm interested in hearing about the sound quality. Good to know about the features though.

I'm sure Mick will chime in soon... ;)
If you're really curious, you should send him an email. He will give you the most thorough response ever haha. Awesome customer service.

I asked him about the change, and among the many things he noted in his reply, he said the pros are - more power, more features (2 input, bluetooth), passively cooled (no fan), and same DSP chip as the Matrix so he can do everything he did on the Matrix on the Dayton.

Seems like an upgrade to me, big plus to Xitone. And if anyone was considering the Gemini 1 for its bluetooth, I think Xitone beats it for cheaper :p

They will sound different, the Dayton is a class D amp the Matrix a class AB. The Dayton was designed for PA speakers and has it's own active crossover and is has two amplifier boards, one for the low frequency driver and one for the high frequency driver. The Matrix is mono, you will need a passive crossover for a coax or high and low frequency driver setup.

If you read up on the Matrix, it's designed to sound and feel like a tube amp and you can interpret that however you would like. It does not have any onboard DSP, but I would wonder how useful that is for the Axe-Fx or AX8 where we would want our tones to translate through the amp and speaker and not be altered. With that said, a high and low cut switch is not a bad option to have which the Matrix does not.

I don't know how useful bluetooth would be for most.

I have a GM50 in a FRFR cab that I put together, I will pick up a Dayton and run some frequency sweeps through them in the same cab in our studio to compare. Should be interesting to see how both amps behave through the various frequencies.

The Matrix amp Xitone had been using as of late wasn't the GM 50, but the GM-XT 100.
It has an onboard DSP. I have no idea if it's class AB or D.

nHCFPld.jpg

Still good to know! The folks on the forum that recommended the XiTone to me are using the GM-50. Don't know if they'd be as excited about the Dayton, or the GM-XT 100!! If it's a different beast, it may feel and sound different to play through.

Anybody have experience with the GM-50 vs the GM-XT 100?

BTW, photo says GM-XT 100 is Class AB right on the panel

I wonder about the Bluetooth option. Is it possible to disable. Unintentional loud phone calls could otherwise ensue!

Yes, GM-XT 100 and Dayton both sounded better to me than the GM-50.
Is there something different in the GM-XT 100 tonally, or is there just more headroom? The GM-50 and GM-XT 100 are both class AB. Did the Dayton "feel" any different to play through, or is your comparison based only on the basement bluetooth you mentioned above?

I played my Axe through the Dayton, and it sounded better than my passive XiTone powered by a Crown K2 (which is very similar in tone/response to the Matrix amp....I have compared those two).

GM-XT 100 has DSP settings (so user can select one of the DSP options that sounds best for them).
Dayton has DSP as well. I'm guessing this allowed Mick to tune the cabs a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom