Matrix FR12 - Not coaxial, but does it matter?

I've been researching FRFR, & the Matrix FR12 ticks many boxes for me.
-DSP for function at bedroom volume
-lightweight
-dimensions allow for stacking the III on top in a case (so it looks cool)

HOWEVER, it's not a coaxial configuration. Can anyone who owns one attest to whether or not this is a problem re: sweet spot/dispersion?

IMHO, coaxial is the bees knees when it comes to monitors. The dispersion is much better at short distances.
I believe it. I was reading about how neodymium magnets make a coaxial configuration less important, can anyone speak to this if not to their own experience with the FR12?

The Matrix FR12 ist the best box I've ever heard, and the clear winner of Axe-Fest Germany 2017 where several boxes habe been examined and compared by about 20 Axe Experts. It sounds terrific for all kind of styles. I play a lot of U2 as well as indie or progressive rock.

And yes, the Axe III fits right on top of it and looks awesome. I'll send a pic when I find the time to it.

And yes, dispersion is not a problem at all. I play the box in the bandroom.

So do I. There's so much info/misinfo out there to sift through. The best thing is to just try the equipment myself which is an expensive process, I'm trying to inform myself to avoid that. My assumption is like you say, that they would have little bearing on one another if any, but I'm not a speaker designer and I couldn't tell you why I hold that assumption.
I fail to see how the magnet material and coaxial design are connected?

Everyone has different thresholds for what is acceptable regarding FRFR solutions. I have an FR12 and love it. But that’s me. If there are things (like coaxial configurations) that are super important to you then the forums might not provide an answer.

IMO the only way to truly find out is to demo the unit.

The Matrix FR12 ist the best box I've ever heard, and the clear winner of Axe-Fest Germany 2017 where several boxes habe been examined and compared by about 20 Axe Experts. It sounds terrific for all kind of styles. I play a lot of U2 as well as indie or progressive rock.

And yes, the Axe III fits right on top of it and looks awesome. I'll send a pic when I find the time to it.

And yes, dispersion is not a problem at all. I play the box in the bandroom.
Thank you!

Everyone has different thresholds for what is acceptable regarding FRFR solutions. I have an FR12 and love it. But that’s me. If there are things (like coaxial configurations) that are super important to you then the forums might not provide an answer.

IMO the only way to truly find out is to demo the unit.
I owned a Gemini in 2015. I knew far less about, well, everything at that time, so I enjoyed it but had no clue that it was a coaxial design. What I regretted was how heavy the unit was compared to how light solutions sold in 2021 can be. I agree that trying it is the only way to determine what I like. However, you and macky7tyseven vouching for it is super helpful in determining which piece of gear to try first (the FR12). Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom