Matrix FR10 / FR12 users, speak up!

Hhuent

Experienced
From time to time I check this and other forums for reviews on the new active cabs FR10 and FR12. Apart from three or four short first hand impressions I did not find further infos. Google search, Matrix FB site and their website reveal nothing new. And no infos from the European distributor so far.

Anybody out here who cares to share his user experience or any links I might have overlooked? These cabs were announced for quite some time, have been sent out to customers, strange the wires are so quiet...

+ 1 looking for same info. Interested to hear about both FR10 and FR12. I'm very interested in how loud they can go (for live) and how soft (for bedroom)? How do they handle highs and lows? Does it take IRs well? Atomic CLR out of my price range but I'd rather not have a plastic/metal PA, thus hope that Matrix could be the thing.

I have a Matrix FR10 that I'm really digging'.
So far only gigged it once. But it's been my first choice for playing around the house.
I also currently have a CPS SpaceStation that I really like, a QSC K8 (I've also had the K12), a EV ZLX-12P, and I used to own a Yamaha DXR10 & 15 and an Atomic CLR powered wedge. I will only be keeping the Matrix and the CPS.
I really love the light weight - two flights of stairs out of the house and some gigs have even more stairs. After 19 years of steady gigging, light is always better.
The FR10 seems to be the least ear fatiguing speaker I have, which is my biggest complaint with the other ones I've used.
I like that it has a loudness compensation setting.
I would highly recommend it!

Last edited:
+ 1 looking for same info. Interested to hear about both FR10 and FR12. I'm very interested in how loud they can go (for live) and how soft (for bedroom)? How do they handle highs and lows? Does it take IRs well? Atomic CLR out of my price range but I'd rather not have a plastic/metal PA, thus hope that Matrix could be the thing.

I used mine with a medium drummer. There's another drummer I play with that is very loud, but I haven't had the chance to try it with him yet. So far, it seems fine, I use it without PA support in medium clubs.
Low volume? As low as you like.

Lows seem very good to me. I have some nice 'chug' going on. Highs are great too. Acoustic and synth guitar sounds great, all the highs are there.
The Matrix guys claim this thing is very very close to flat response, I can't remember the numbers. But it sounds very good. I had a CLR...and I prefer this. YMMV.

So far only gigged it once. But it's been my first choice for playing around the house.
I also currently have a CPS SpaceStation that I really like, a QSC K8 (I've also had the K12), a EV ZLX-12P, and I used to own a Yamaha DXR10 & 15 and an Atomic CLR powered wedge. I will only be keeping the Matrix and the CPS.
I really love the light weight - two flights of stairs out of the house and some gigs have even more stairs. After 19 years of steady gigging, light is always better.
The FR10 seems to be the least ear fatiguing speaker I have, which is my biggest complaint with the other ones I've used.

I have the CPS too, thinking about getting the FR12.
how do they compare?
thanks
Jeff

I have the CPS too, thinking about getting the FR12.
how do they compare?
thanks
Jeff

Hey Jeff,
I haven't heard the FR12, but I have the 10. The CPS and the Matrix are quite different. The CPS has the 310 degree dispersion and a 3D sound with a stereo source. Compared, the Matrix is more focused/beamy, mono, but still fills a room nicely. The FR10 is almost half the weight, but as you know, the CPS is compact and not too bad to carry. The FR10 is just a little larger and very light, but almost wants to be carried with two hands. I'm thinking of putting a comfortable handle on one end (currently there is a cutout) and some feet on the other to make it even more one-handed portable.
I have a second set of patches to use with CPS. Any stereo effects have a different mix since with the CPS they will affect the volume.
The Matrix and the CPS are my favorite two FR speakers that I've had, and I don't see them going anywhere, anytime soon.

If these cabs response are as flat as they claim, the 10 and 12 cabs should have the same bass response.

But yes, the thing sounds great.

That´s what Matrix support told me:

Quote: The FR12 basically has a little more "punch" and volume, the FR10 is lighter and more compact.

Which in reverse tells me the FR10 has less bass response than the FR12...makes sense.

Great useful info, appreciated. Matrix support also told me:

"The major difference with the FR10/12 is the 12 is capable of going a little louder and carries a little more low end. The midrange and overall tone are otherwise pretty similarly matched. They are pretty much identical in flatness, the FR10 has a slightly less sensitive speaker so will not go quite as loud (by about 2dB) and side-by side, you can hear and feel a little less low end."

I'm on the edge of purchase and cant deicide either the 10 or 12.

It has to cover 2 different scenarios, both home use (low volume) and live rock band (loud but not as hell).
My thoughts are leaning more for the 10 dew to weight / size and less bass as I don’t want to mess with my presets too much but don’t want to fry the 10 with crazy volume and be disappointed due to lake of low-end….

So you played through FRFR-PA (EV, QSC) and FRFR-Guitaramp (Matrix, CLR) did you try using your matrix as PA or Studio monitor for music?
I have a matrix CFR12 wich is OK for guitar but for music my Yamaha S115IV is far better so I ended playing only on the Yamaha PA (2x30kg :sweat:).
Sorry for my English, hope you understand

After refreshing the Matrix Aus website ten times a day for 2 weeks, I finally got the chance to nab an FR12, good thing I did because they were all gone within a couple of hours. It arrived in 5 days which is incredible for something coming from the US to Aus, but before I go on, a little background. Up to now I have been playing my Axe FX2 through an Atomic Reactor FR50 powered cab, the one with the tubes, which was the cabinet of choice back in 2010 when I first bough an Ultra and laetr uopgraded to the Axe FX2. All of my presets have been made and tweaked over the 6 years through that cab. I know the Reactor cabs aren't thought of all that highly these days but it always worked for me and was plenty loud enough to use for outdoor gigs or pretty much any application, yet I always had a suspicion that it was the weak link in my tone chain. I had been wanting a CLR for a long time but the price here in Aus for a CLR is prohibitive, so about a month ago I began looking at alternatives, which is when the Matrix FR's came to my attention.

It seemed too good to be true, a powered FRFR cabinet, half the weight of my Reactor, with a Neodymium speaker, at less than 1,000 AUD ($700 less than the CLR and less than half the price of the CLR Neo). How good could it be? The reviews are few but very, very positive so it gave me the courage to jump in and I am really, really glad that I did.

At first, presets that I had tweaked to what I thought was perfection sounded flat and lifeless through the FR12, which worried me, but I knew the speaker would need a few hours of high volume playing to really loosen up and reflect the full range of frequencies. So I persevered, and now after approx 4 hours of high volume playing, it is sounding amazing! I have had to adjust almost all of my presets, mostly to add low end and reduce the mids, which I think confirms what i always thought about the Reactor, that it was heavy on the bass and just a fraction scooped in the mids.

The FR12 just sounds so even across the tonal spectrum. The low end is very natural sounding and restrained, doesn't get woofy or flubby when cranked, but you can feel it. Just perfect I would say. The highs are smooth, no harshness. Cleans sound very alive and vibrant and my dirty tones have a more natural sound minus the sometimes raspy quality that they had with the Reactor. I'm pretty sure the Reactor did add a bit of it's own distortion/break up to all of my tones which i guess I just adjusted to without thinking about it, so consequently I have needed to up the gain a little on quite a few of my dirty tones. Everything sounds so much better now, I didn't realise what I was missing for the last few years with the Reactor.

I can't believe how light it is, I can carry it with one hand, no problems, and I'm a weakling. The DSP functions are excellent, I particularly love mode 2 that adjusts for low volume playing, what a brilliant innovation.Still can't believe it was less than 1,000 AUD.

Sorry for the long, rambling review, but given the lack of info out there I hope this will be helpful to others.

Sorry for the long, rambling review, but given the lack of info out there I hope this will be helpful to others.[/QUOTE]

No sorrys, a big thanks for this indepth review. I will keep an eye on the FRs but after waiting months and months I ordered an open back cab from Mick at Xitone. Will report here.

Waited for months? Did you send them an email? They shipped mine the same day I ordered it even though the website said it wasn't available.

Back
Top Bottom