Matrix CFR12 passive FR monitor: pricing and availability

Ultimately - speaking modularly - why do people balk at $800 for the speaker, but not at the price of an MFC101 as a controller, or a GT1000fx/Fryette 2:50:2 (for valve) for an amplifyer- or $2500+ for the AFX itself. Its a complete system and all componants should be of the same quality.

For me, it is because there are similar items at a fraction of this cost. I don't have a problem buying quality (just ordered an RCF) but for a non-powered speaker cab with a mid-level speaker in it, that's a lot of money. Of course, if it's worth it to another player, I don't have a problem with that.

Interesting to hear that the JBL SRX712's sounded that good. I have the SRX722's as my PA Tops...so I've sometimes debated getting the SR712's for wedges, because whatever I dial in on the 712's, should translate pretty well on the 722's.

I'm sure they would. I read here that Cliff dialed in the II presets using the SRX712s, so they should get pretty much the same sound Cliff intended.

For my part, I was hoping for something close to the quality of the RCF at a little lower cost. IMO, it appears there are instead going to be three flavors of the same thing instead of multiple levels of choice/cost. Nothing to say anyone is/was obligated to meet my hopes! But given all that, I decided to go with a known quantity in the RCF. I truly hope the Matrix and CLR options are every bit as good, once they make it to market.

Reactions: Ole
Ok, so if they're the powered Matrix wedges, I think they're a different speaker.

Interesting to hear that the JBL SRX712's sounded that good. I have the SRX722's as my PA Tops...so I've sometimes debated getting the SR712's for wedges, because whatever I dial in on the 712's, should translate pretty well on the 722's.

Yeah
I really found them outstanding and am leaning in that direction like I said. Even if the Matrix solution was say in the $600 range or so I still feel it would be worth going for the JBL's. BTW both were compared with stock presets in case anyone is interested.

There were allot of other people there that were also very impressed with the JBL's, It was far from being just me.
John

For me, it is because there are similar items at a fraction of this cost. I don't have a problem buying quality (just ordered an RCF) but for a non-powered speaker cab with a mid-level speaker in it, that's a lot of money. QUOTE]

Fair enough - though in the UK Im struggling to find anything similar or better for the price. Id appreciate any suggestions there I guess.

The JBL is twice the price of the Matrix over here :( and the same price as the RCF active. Its also a big sucker (relatively)

Hi there,
The active wedges that we sent to the NY show for people to see are pre-production. We shall be tweaking the crossover, with the feedback from the show and Beta testers, before they are launched.
The passive CFR12 have now finished their development cycle which is why we have released the pricing information for them. By packaging two together the pair price shipped to the US drops a fair bit.
We shall have the tweaked active and the passive CFR at the demo rooms on 12th July which we are inviting people to come and try out. I shall put a seperate post up with the details shortly.

I thankyou for your feedback and shall have more information for you soon.
My best regards
Matt

Oh well..... Man, that is a steap price for the US, Should be around 599-699.00....

Congrats to the UK buyers, looks like you have a cool FRFR offering. Back to searching for other options and waiting for the CLR's....

Fair enough - though in the UK Im struggling to find anything similar or better for the price. Id appreciate any suggestions there I guess.

One that comes immediately to mind is the Carvin TRx12N, currently on sale for $379 from Carvin. It is also a neodymium coaxial 12" non-powered wedge monitor. I do not know what shipping and VAT would add to that, but it is about 45% base cost.

Listen, I am certain the Matrix speakers, active and passive, will be great. They make quality gear, and they're nice folks to boot. For you folks in the UK, there's also the supporting the local economy thing, which I respect. I was just surprised at the price point. My opinion only, don't put too much into it! :)

One that comes immediately to mind is the Carvin TRx12N, currently on sale for $379 from Carvin. It is also a neodymium coaxial 12" non-powered wedge monitor. I do not know what shipping and VAT would add to that, but it is about 45% base cost.

Listen, I am certain the Matrix speakers, active and passive, will be great. They make quality gear, and they're nice folks to boot. For you folks in the UK, there's also the supporting the local economy thing, which I respect. I was just surprised at the price point. My opinion only, don't put too much into it! :)

What's interesting is that, from what I understand, that Carvin uses the same Celestion driver as the unpowered Matrix. From what I've found, it's only OK as an FRFR solution. It's more designed to be a vocal monitor. It's less than half the cost of the Matrix though, with the same core component. Now, I know that crossover and cabinet design is a huge part of how a speaker will sound and how flat it is. So on the one hand, if Matrix took the same speaker and made it a knockout with a better enclosure and crossover, maybe that justifies the cost. But $420 (add $30 to Carvin for shipping) is still a huge difference for something built on the same driver.

Reactions: Ole
What's interesting is that, from what I understand, that Carvin uses the same Celestion driver as the unpowered Matrix. From what I've found, it's only OK as an FRFR solution. It's more designed to be a vocal monitor. It's less than half the cost of the Matrix though, with the same core component. Now, I know that crossover and cabinet design is a huge part of how a speaker will sound and how flat it is. So on the one hand, if Matrix took the same speaker and made it a knockout with a better enclosure and crossover, maybe that justifies the cost. But $420 (add $30 to Carvin for shipping) is still a huge difference for something built on the same driver.

I came to a similar conclusion doing price comparisons to Carvin. Interestingly enough, both companies sell direct to the end user. Interested to see how the Atomic CLRs will be priced, especially considering they claim to have wider, even dispersion.

It's obvious that some of the additional cost aside from the Exchange rate, shipping and VAT is related to the R&D that went into making the driver work. I'm sure if Carvin did the same R&D to make the speaker work with the same response that Matrix has found the cost would go up on the TRx12N.

Back
Top Bottom