Matrix and 412 cab questions

SmartAxe

I'm considering getting one of the Matrix power amps and one or two cabs. Probably a 412 and maybe a 212 in addition for smaller gigs. For use with a 412 cab with something like 270 watts at 8 ohms (mono) or 135 watts side (stereo...don't know ohms), what is my best option from Matrix? The 2U 1000 or the 1U 800?

Consider that I'll be putting the Matrix in a 6U rack with my AxeII, power conditioner, and wireless rack. That leaves me 2U for the power amp. If I got the 1000 (2U), would there be problems with heat and having the Axe directly above it in the rack? Or am I better off going with the 800 so I can put some space between them?

Sorry, lots of questions, but I'm trying to work this out.

Hmmm...I just saw that the GT1000 is 1U AND it is of sufficient wattage to push just about anything. Maybe that answers both of my questions?

I think the 2U versions just have quieter fans, I don't think there's a power difference. I can tell you from personal experience the GT1000FX (I have the 2U) doesn't break a sweat powering my Mesa 4x12 Stiletto. It's rated at 280/8ohms and I've only been turning the volume knob to about 10% of its range before it's getting into pissing off the neighbor territory. I don't want to know how loud it could get if cranked, but I'm pretty sure it would blow out the Mesa well before that. Although the 800 has slightly less power, it's still plenty for a 4x12.

I have the 1U version of the GT1000FX. Heat is a non-issue so far, the fan is audible but actually less noisy than my Axe-Fx II fan. It sounds awesome and has enough power to blow shit up if I'm not careful (like my 4x12, my hearing, my band's reputation...)

I think the 2U versions just have quieter fans, I don't think there's a power difference. I can tell you from personal experience the GT1000FX (I have the 2U) doesn't break a sweat powering my Mesa 4x12 Stiletto. It's rated at 280/8ohms and I've only been turning the volume knob to about 10% of its range before it's getting into pissing off the neighbor territory. I don't want to know how loud it could get if cranked, but I'm pretty sure it would blow out the Mesa well before that. Although the 800 has slightly less power, it's still plenty for a 4x12.

Yep, the only difference between the 1u and the 2u is the size of the case, the height of the internal heatsink and the use a of single 80mm fan running at a lower rpm which makes it quieter.

Glad your not upsetting the neighbours on a regular basis :)

Best regards
Matt

Matt,
If my 412 cab is 4ohm or 16ohm mono, what's the best way to run the GT1000 with it? I normally balk at 16 ohm because I've always associated that with a "brighter" sound. Can it run 4ohm mono?

Yep, the only difference between the 1u and the 2u is the size of the case, the height of the internal heatsink and the use a of single 80mm fan running at a lower rpm which makes it quieter.

Glad your not upsetting the neighbours on a regular basis :)

Best regards
Matt

Oh, but I could, I could...

Matt,
If my 412 cab is 4ohm or 16ohm mono, what's the best way to run the GT1000 with it? I normally balk at 16 ohm because I've always associated that with a "brighter" sound. Can it run 4ohm mono?

Hi there,
The GT1000 will happily output 500 watts from a single channel into a 4ohm load :) You could use the other channel to drive the other 4x12 cab ( you might end up purchasing ) with another 500 watts

Hope this helps.
My best regards
Matt

It does help, Matt. Thanks for that info! You may want to include that spec in your manual. As soon as I get the cash together, I'm going for a GT1000 and a 412 "uberkab" configuration from Avatar, wired stereo or mono.

Back
Top Bottom