Martrix 800 or 1000? Why?

• GT800FX

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • GT1000FX

Votes: 20 74.1%

• Total voters

JT2

Inspired
Which one do you like the best for your CLR or FRFR power? GT800FX or GT1000FX Why?

Last edited by a moderator:
GT1000FX, just in case I need the extra power.

Pete Thorn did a great side by side review of both of them on his YouTube channel

Which one do you like the best for your CLR or FRFR power? GT800FX or GT1000FX Why?

But your missing 2 other choices...

3. Other
4. N/A

To be fair there are so many other options.

Why? The Matrix (GT1000FX) just wasn't for me. I went with a Crown XLS 2500.

Reactions: BRC
100FX comes in a QUIET 2U model. That's what I had. And loved it... until I tried a CLR Nano Wedge... But if I were going Matrix again, I'd definitely choose the 2U 1000. Was Def. quieter than my 800 was.

In my personal experience... Both power amps are badass regardless of which you decide on purchasing. Only difference between them is just the output bridge mode feature in the GT1000FX which most of the time isn't really needed (not for me at least). I personally have the GT1000FX because i need the extra power since in my current rig my guitarist connects to it via channel B while i'm on Channel A. They both have a noisy fan but who cares, you won't be able to hear it when you're playing anyways. I currently use FRFR while he uses a traditional cab live.

Whichever your wallet can afford, get either one. They are just amazing light weight units overall. You won't be disappointed :D :D :D

I contacted Matrix and asked which of these 2 units is the flattest and most transparent for accurate IR capture. They told me that the 800 was better for this. Plus, in every A/B comparison clip I've heard, the 800 sounds better IMO. The 1000 sounds a tiny bit scooped, comparatively.

OK, I read somewhere that the 800 was specifically designed for guitar players. That's why I'm asking. Apparently that's not reflected in the poll so far.

OK, I read somewhere that the 800 was specifically designed for guitar players. That's why I'm asking. Apparently that's not reflected in the poll so far.

I believe they share the same design with the exception of a few hundred more watts for the 1000.

They're all designed for guitar players. The 1000 is actually an upgraded or "progressed" design, though. It's supposed to sound a little better, and in my experience it does, sort of. They are both top notch and almost the same. The extra headroom of the 1000 is worthwhile, though, and in my opinion, that's why it might be slightly better for FRFR. Depending on how loud you play, especially live, the 800 non-bridged (at 400 watts) is kind of borderline. I remember feeling like I was pushing it a little hard to get it loud enough. The 1000 in mono (500w) is perfect and never feels strained. The 1000w model is also what they choose to use in their powered FRFR cabs and wedges (well, they use a GM50 module, which is just one side of a GT1000FX).

You can't go wrong with either, but I think the extra little power on the 1000 is actually noticeable and worthwhile. They're both (the entire Matrix guitar specific line, actually) designed for guitarists, and mostly with the Axe FX in mind, and the GT800FX was their first amp, whereas the GT1000FX was the product of more experience and perfection to make it sound even a little better, though they're both almost the same, IMO, headroom aside.

Not to piss in anybody's wheaties, in my experience, (1000)sounds great with cleans, but classic rock tones,could never bond with it . Had low mids I couldn't dial out ,I was tweaking all the time like ,tried with celestion green backs, 75's v-30's .no luck

This is why I chose the GT1000FX...this quote is directly from the Matrix website...

"While still delivering the same flat response as the GT800FX, the GT1000FX has been modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier, giving a "looser" feel and a more open sound that we genuinely believe to be the closest a solid state amp has come to valves!"

http://uk.matrixamplification.com/rack-amplifers/gt-1000-fx-2u.html

GT1000FX. Although I will be using a GT1500 FXBD three channel in a wet/dry/wet setup with as of now three Mission Engineering Passive Gemini 1-P's. Before I decided to go w/d/w though I was going for the GT 1000 FX in a stereo spread.

Question: I am using the GT 1000FX and love it but I am curious how people like to set the relative volume of the Axe FX versus the GT 1000FX. I seem to be getting good results at gigs (mainly bars) setting the A and B channel of the GT 1000 to about 1 o'clock and setting output level 1 of the axe fx to about 12 o'clock. Love to hear any suggestions, etc.

This is why I chose the GT1000FX...this quote is directly from the Matrix website...

"While still delivering the same flat response as the GT800FX, the GT1000FX has been modified to respond even more like a valve power amplifier, giving a "looser" feel and a more open sound that we genuinely believe to be the closest a solid state amp has come to valves!"

http://uk.matrixamplification.com/rack-amplifers/gt-1000-fx-2u.html

gt800fx for me. The 1000 has the guitar amp thing going on which is great if your running into a real cab. If your going FRFR then the 800 would be the obvious choice. Its still more power than almost anyone would need.

When I auditioned the 800 and 1000 Robin explained the difference between the amps that is referenced above . The difference is subtle and more noticeable when comparing side by side, would you notice if you just bought one I don't know but I went for the 800 coz I like it tight lol love my 800 and frfr212 rig awesome powerhouse
G \../

Back
Top Bottom