Matrix Amplification FR10

powerslave88

Inspired
Hi guys!

I received my FR10 from Matrix last week - been playing around with it and thought I'd make a little 'demo' video (the first of its kind for me, so apologies for the awkwardness!) Anyways, in short, this thing was worth the wait big time IMO - crystal clear sound at all volumes, huge frequency response that is also as flat as a pancake (50-20 000hz, +/- 2b) and it weighs the same as a pack of wine gums. Insane bit of gear. The DSP functions are awesome too, especially the Equal Loudness mode which is helping me out in drum less rehearsals and home playing etc. I'll probably do a video demonstrating those aswell soon.

ANYWAY. Please feel free to watch - you may have to spare a like for my Facebook page to do so as its uploaded there - but if you can get away with it, no sweat! (Its located under All Videos and is titled: Matrix Amplification FR10 Monitor Demo)

This video was recorded in Flub City, Duffnotesville.

https://www.facebook.com/alexwardguitarist/videos

nice video, thanks for doing it.

I'm gassing for a FR 10 since a while, how's the weight ? i need to bring the cab or speaker from basement to 3rd floor stairs of our rehearsal place, tired of lugging heavy FRFR like EV or DXR12...

Also how it sound compare to other regular speakers ? does it translate your presets well so far ?

nice video, thanks for doing it.

I'm gassing for a FR 10 since a while, how's the weight ? i need to bring the cab or speaker from basement to 3rd floor stairs of our rehearsal place, tired of lugging heavy FRFR like EV or DXR12...

Also how it sound compare to other regular speakers ? does it translate your presets well so far ?

The weight is an absolute dream mate - you can carry it with one hand if you so wished. Officially, it weighs 9.7Kg (according to the manual).

The only other FRFR I've had is the CFR12 from Matrix which was a wedge. The sound from the FR10 seems a lot cleaner and well balanced so far - I've had to do minimal tweaking with my presets, they pretty much just sounded great from the get go!

I'm wondering if the low end is enough, coming out of a 10" speaker as opposed to a 12".

For me so far it is more than enough - but I have yet to gig it or do a full band rehearsal with it. I'll report back as soon as I do - I believe the FR12 has a touch more bottom end (obviously due to the speaker size), but I imagine you could get close with 2 FR10s. For me though, as I say, this is just the ticket for what I need it to do so far.

This is awesome. I've been waiting for a video review of FR10, thanks a million. Please do follow-up with more observations/videos as you play with it. Would love to hear how it does in a gig situation, what type of room (by itself) it'll work with, drummer, etc.

This is awesome. I've been waiting for a video review of FR10, thanks a million. Please do follow-up with more observations/videos as you play with it. Would love to hear how it does in a gig situation, what type of room (by itself) it'll work with, drummer, etc.
I absolutely will mate :) I think I'm going to try and demo all the DSP functions across my clean, crunch, dirty presets next - the difference is noticeable in the room but not sure how it'll come across on camera. Its a great feature though!

Last edited:
Did a short demo of the DSP modes through all my live presets (Clean, Breakup, Crunch, Dirt and Marshall) - I'm really loving this feature, subtle but very noticeable differences. The Equal Loudness fattens things up at low volumes with more lows and highs to compensate for the Fletcher Munson Effect and the Low Shelf Mode audibly gets rid of the lows (below 100hz), and actually seems to add some mids (imo).

All my patches, even before I started playing with this superb speaker, have a low and high cut in the cab block (around 80hz and 7000hz) and that really helps them shine I think. I'd definitely consider doing something like this if you're playing through an FRFR :)

I hope it comes across in the vid (captured with iPhone mic with volume at 10 o'clock to prevent overloading) and that its helpful to you guys! Its on my page under 'All Videos' titled: 'Matrix Amplification FR10 DSP Modes Demo' :)

Did a short demo of the DSP modes through all my live presets (Clean, Breakup, Crunch, Dirt and Marshall) - I'm really loving this feature, subtle but very noticeable differences. The Equal Loudness fattens things up at low volumes with more lows and highs to compensate for the Fletcher Munson Effect and the Low Shelf Mode audibly gets rid of the lows (below 100hz), and actually seems to add some mids (imo).

All my patches, even before I started playing with this superb speaker, have a low and high cut in the cab block (around 80hz and 7000hz) and that really helps them shine I think. I'd definitely consider doing something like this if you're playing through an FRFR :)

I hope it comes across in the vid (captured with iPhone mic with volume at 10 o'clock to prevent overloading) and that its helpful to you guys! Its on my page under 'All Videos' titled: 'Matrix Amplification FR10 DSP Modes Demo' :)

Another great video, I'm seriously considering buying one for myself. Weight is most important for me cause I have to lugging all the stuff from my basement to the car, unload and walk to the 3rd floor or our rehearsal room, and bring in and out at gig etc....

Just couple question, which FRFR you used before this Matrix and how you compare them ?

Cheers

Another great video, I'm seriously considering buying one for myself. Weight is most important for me cause I have to lugging all the stuff from my basement to the car, unload and walk to the 3rd floor or our rehearsal room, and bring in and out at gig etc....

Just couple question, which FRFR you used before this Matrix and how you compare them ?

Cheers
Thanks guys!

Yeah you shouldn't have a problem with weight with this one at under 10kg - you can carry it in one hand with a guitar or pedalboard or 6 pack of beer in your other hand no probs.

My history with cabs for the axe fx is short haha - I used a Marshall 2x12 for a long while, then got a matrix CFR12 wedge and then this FR10. The cab worked well but I had a PEQ before the fx loop and didn't really have a grasp on how my presets actually sounded, just how they sounded through my cab. The CFR12 was fantastic, crystal clear at all volumes. I found it could get a bit toppy mostly because it was pointed directly at my face haha, but it was a fine FRFR. No DSP options however (which I'm finding immensely useful, especially the equal loudness for low volumes), and it was passive so required a power amp. I also believe the frequency response is more accurate in the FR10 (50hz - 20 000 hz within +/- 2b) but I can't be 'officially' sure.

Hope that helps! :) Glad you're enjoying the vids \m/

As I say, I've read the FR12 provides a little more low end at volume due to the speaker size, but can't really comment as of yet as I haven't played a 12.

It certainly isn't like the 10 is tinny or anything - this thing sounds great with my presets I think!

another question for you bro.

Is there anyway I can use Fr10 as monitor and other output directly to the PA for audience etc... ? so I have 2 sounds will sound identical ? not sure if it make any sense lol

You can use Output 1 of your Axe Fx to go to FOH and Output 2 to go to the FR10 or visa versa (which allows you to adjust your onstage volume separately of FOH).

Or you can go Output 1 to FOH with XLR AND to the FR10 with a 1/4" inst cable (or visa versa)

Or I suppose you could go Output 1 or 2 to your FR10 and then link out of the FR10 via XLR to the mixing desk (I think...someone might have to correct me if I'm wrong there).

The first option is the best I'd say...hope that helps! What I do is:

Output 1 XLR to FOH
Output 1 1/4" to my IEM mixer
Output 2 to FR10

Regarding the sounds being identical, that all depends on the FOH PA speakers which can vary quite drastically - but having something like the 10 or 12 is your best chance at knowing what your patch truly sounds like I think due to the vast Frequency Response being super accurate (50-20 000hz flat within +/- 2db)

Last edited:
Hope it works out well! If you're doing the link out let me know how it works out for ya as I've not tried that feature out yet! So much to play with haha!

you can carry it in one hand with a guitar or pedalboard or 6 pack of beer in your other hand no probs.
this is paramount in one's decision process....:p

This wonderful little speaker is giving me gas pains. I wonder if/how the wood cabinet construction enhances the tone. I like that Matrix has chosen to make the FR line specifically for the amp modeling user.

Last edited:
this is paramount in one's decision process....:p

This wonderful little speaker is giving me gas pains. I wonder if/how the wood cabinet construction enhances the tone. I like that Matrix has chosen to make the FR line specifically for the amp modeling user.

I can't really comment on how much the wood contributes to the tone - I'm sure the Matrix guys will be able to offer an answer though as they tested a tonne out before settling on what they used I believe.

I am more or less in love with my FR10 - as you say, specifically designed for modellers so my patches are sounding the best they ever have :)

Back
Top Bottom