Matrix Amp and Matrix Cabs or 2 Laney LFR 212’s?

DQC

Hey People of the Fractal!
I am debating between getting a used Matrix Gt1000 amp and a pair of used Matrix 2x12 Non-powered Cabs or a pair of new LFR Laney 212’s. I currently use a pair of Headrush 108’s, they sound nice at a low volume but looking for something with a little more “fullness”…
Price-wise, they are fairly close, although the Laney setup is new and the Matrix set up would be used… there is definitely advantages to new but more concerned about the sound…
I know sound / tone is an opinion thing but wondering if anyone has compared them yet… and if so, which you picked and why…
Thank you for any input…

Try to get a powered Atomic CLR or a pair of them. I have tried a ton of FRFR solutions and the Atomic CLR's were a game changer for me when it came to using FRFR's and Impulse Responses. Immediately sold off all my real 412 cabinets, power amps, etc. Best tone I have had hands down.

I am debating between getting a used Matrix Gt1000 amp and a pair of used Matrix 2x12 Non-powered Cabs or a pair of new LFR Laney 212’s. I currently use a pair of Headrush 108’s, they sound nice at a low volume but looking for something with a little more “fullness”…
Price-wise, they are fairly close, although the Laney setup is new and the Matrix set up would be used… there is definitely advantages to new but more concerned about the sound…
I know sound / tone is an opinion thing but wondering if anyone has compared them yet… and if so, which you picked and why…
Thank you for any input…
I’ve been using a laney 212 Fr for 3 years or so and they are very good for playing live. I don’t have 2 though. I got a headrush 112 as well and it’s miles better that the 108 in terms of fullness. Just my opinion but depending on what you’re using them for, i think the laneys would do the job

Reactions: DQC
I have a Laney 212. I also have a Matrix GT800FX as well as some other Matrix speakers (FR12's etc).

I think you will be happy with the sound from either setup, but just know that sometimes it takes a little time to dial it in depending on how loud you play/practice.

One thing to think about is that if your matrix gear has any issues, then you might have to wait a bit to get help.... and that's IF you can get any repairs done. Matrix has been dormant for the last year or 2 and it's unclear when they will pull out of it. If you went the Laney route, I would expect it to be more serviceable. I'm pretty the matrix setup will get louder than the laney 212... however, the laney is plenty loud on it's own and should be able to handle most of what you throw at it.

EDIT: oh, you might get a PAIR of laney 212's? That's going to be suuuper loud if you need it to be.

Thank you for the reply. Interesting, I will have to check into these as well.
Try to get a powered Atomic CLR or a pair of them. I have tried a ton of FRFR solutions and the Atomic CLR's were a game changer for me when it came to using FRFR's and Impulse Responses. Immediately sold off all my real 412 cabinets, power amps, etc. Best tone I have had hands down.
Thank you for the reply. Interesting, for some reason the atomics weren’t on my radar, I will have to check into these as well. They look to be in the same price range…

I’ve been using a laney 212 Fr for 3 years or so and they are very good for playing live. I don’t have 2 though. I got a headrush 112 as well and it’s miles better that the 108 in terms of fullness. Just my opinion but depending on what you’re using them for, i think the laneys would do the job
Thank you for the reply. Do you currently use the 112 with the Laney?

I have a Laney 212. I also have a Matrix GT800FX as well as some other Matrix speakers (FR12's etc).

I think you will be happy with the sound from either setup, but just know that sometimes it takes a little time to dial it in depending on how loud you play/practice.

One thing to think about is that if your matrix gear has any issues, then you might have to wait a bit to get help.... and that's IF you can get any repairs done. Matrix has been dormant for the last year or 2 and it's unclear when they will pull out of it. If you went the Laney route, I would expect it to be more serviceable. I'm pretty the matrix setup will get louder than the laney 212... however, the laney is plenty loud on it's own and should be able to handle most of what you throw at it.

EDIT: oh, you might get a PAIR of laney 212's? That's going to be suuuper loud if you need it to be.
Thank you for the reply. I read somewhere that Matrix are now in the States, maybe still adjusting? Which is your preference, the Matrix set up or the Laney 212?

Not sure what your planned use is.
I use a MAtrix GT1000FX and a 1X12 Celestion V30 Cab. I then turn off the AXE FX 3 Cabs.
Plenty loud and punchy and amp in the room thing. I like it, but I am not a gigging musician.
I also have a FR/FR setup with Yamaha HS8 powered monitors. Also good.

Last edited:
Which is your preference, the Matrix set up or the Laney 212?
I use the gt800fx with a matrix NL212 (loaded with 2 Celestion F12-X200) to play live and it sounds great. I think the Laney is a little better for pushing air when playing live. I love the shape of the cab - straight lower and angled upper. The only problem is it's much heavier, so I don't usually take it. I have played a few shows with it though.... just don't let them mic it (or any of your frfr)! The laney also needs to be dialed in and can get a little bassy/boxy if you don't watch it. When it sounds good, it really sounds good though.

TBH I am pretty much sold on getting 2 of the new Fender FRFR powered cabs. I love matrix amps and the company has been great with any issues I've had over the years, but they just aren't around much.

TLDR: prefer the laney, usually use the matrix, probably going fender this year.

Thank you for the reply. I read somewhere that Matrix are now in the States, maybe still adjusting? Which is your preference, the Matrix set up or the Laney 212?

Here is the last update on their site (from a year ago): https://usa.matrixamplification.com/

UPDATE FEB 2023​

We are now out of stock on all amplifier products and amp module (for powered speakers) and also some components for passive crossovers (unpowered speakers). This is due to the continuing siupply chain issues affecting electronic components. We have seen back order times drop from just over a year to just under a year on some critical components but obviously this is still a considerable length of time to wait and plan a production run. These events our out of our control and part of a wider global issue. We're hoping things get better but we're as in the dark on things as are lots of companies out there.

We have been asked if a redesign or change in components is possible but this is not realistic. We use the very best components with high tolerences for a reason and throiughout Andy's career of building amps he's learnt the hard way what works and is reliable and what doesn't. Some of the components that are out of stock were commonplace before the supply chain problems so not rare or hard to get so it is all down to the global supply chain issues and things moving slower than expected.

We're continuing to monitor the situation and obviously at the moment we are in a state of "hibernation" until the situation improves.Andy is continuing with repairs of our products but he is extremely busy with the other operations which are allowing the company to survive. This is leading to delays which Andy apologises for. Of course if you need an update you can speak to Andy on 203 792 1685 (Idaho Pacific Time).

Once we have some news regarding production we'll update you as best we can.

Thank you for the reply. Do you currently use the 112 with the Laney?
I use the 112 for rehearsing and smaller gigs where I don’t have the need for the 212. I use it at home as well. I play in a 4 piece rock covers band and myself and the other guitarist use an Axe fx and a boss katana. Both are plenty loud !

I play in a rock/metal cover band and I have been trying to find the right FRFR cab for a while now. So far I have an Atomic CLR NEO MKII, Headrush 112, and a Line6 Power cab 112. I just received the Laney LFR-212 yesterday and I'm loving it so far. It just sounds so much better than all the others. It has such a full thick sound and plenty of volume. The low end is so much tighter and has more clarity. I used it at rehearsal last night it it was noticeably better sounding than the rest. I can't wait to use it as my backline at our next show. The Atomic CLR will be used as a monitor in front of my pedal board.

Thank you for the reply. Interesting, I will have to check into these as well.

Thank you for the reply. Interesting, for some reason the atomics weren’t on my radar, I will have to check into these as well. They look to be in the same price range…
I did some research on what FR’s to get a few years ago and chose the Atomic CLR’s. I found two on Reverb and spoke to the sellers and wound up buying them. No regrets… they’re very good IMO. But they’re not easy to find. Not sure about now.

Thank you for any input…
Techongame website specializes in providing Apk and games for free and safely, so you can experience it with peace of mind.
Personally for me I would choose the Matrix Gt1000. I don't know, like, I've used many types but still like it

Is the Laney 112 (or 212) a good sounding unit? For some reason ive started seeing used units for sale locally and im slightly intrested.

Last edited:
I should go for this:

GRGuitar ATG210A ST Aerotech FRFR​

• Aerotech Series
  • Carbon fibre cabinet
  • Stereo
  • Bass reflex in the front
  • Speaker configuration: 2 x 10" Custom Dual Cone Jensen/Sica
  • Amplifier power: 2 x 300 W RMS
  • Frequency range: 60 - 16,000 Hz
  • Sensivity: 100 db SPL
  • Inputs: 2 XLR/jack combo
  • Dimensions (H x W x D): 42 x 59 x 37 cm
  • Weight: 8 kg !!!!
  • Power supply 115 - 230 V AC (automatic adjustment)
  • Made in Italy
Bought mine a while back and I'm happy with it.
Had a pair of Laney LFR 112's before that and there's a huge difference.
The GR is way more accurate and more precise to what I hear in my headphones vs live.

Attachments

• AT-G210A-AT-G210P-AT-G210A-ST-Back.png
    AT-G210A-AT-G210P-AT-G210A-ST-Back.png
    232.9 KB · Views: 22
  • AT-G210A-AT-G210P-AT-G210A-ST-Front-1.png
    AT-G210A-AT-G210P-AT-G210A-ST-Front-1.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 22
Thank you for all the replies!
The 4x12 would be insanely cool but was told they would be over $5k in Canada for two…
I emailed Matrix to ask a couple questions but did not receive a reply, so that was surprising…
The Laney LFR 212 ( x2 ) would be awesome but they will probably come out with a v2 with some of the 4x12 features, so that makes buying 2 new Laneys not as attractive now…
Thank you for the other suggestions, I looked into them but still leaning towards the Laneys but will probably keep what I have for now or look for used instead since there will probably be a v2 soon enough…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom