Matrix 1U Poweramp VS Electroharmonix Magnum poweramp

Cem

Experienced
Hello guys,

My question is for the ones that tried both of them to pair with the same guitar cabinet.

Is the sound difference huge between those? (Cabinet sim off/Poweramp Sim On)

Not in the same setup or with the same cab, but I've used both. The Matrix absolutely slays and has a more tube-like feel in comparison. I also found the EHX mag to be kinda' noisy.
...but you could buy about half a dozen Magnums for the price of a Matrix on the used market.

I think it's important to consider what each of these products brings to the market. The Magnum is geared toward a super portable rig-in-a-pedal-board setup at a relatively low price point. It succeeds there. The Matrix is designed to be a high quality unit tonally on par with typical rack mounted tube PAs without the required maintenance of tube PAs, and also does a fine job of being cost-competitive in its class.

Apples & oranges bro.

A Matrix GT1000FX is going to keep your signal clean and give you plenty of headroom. If you want to take advantage of the power amp sims ( you mentioned power amp sims on) in the Axe FX and limit color to it, the Matrix is going to make this shine for you.

Wow. Those are super different products... it'd probably make sense to talk about how they contrast rather than compare. ;)

It would be great if someone had two of them, (magnum as a backup maybe) make a same cabinet same settings compare video. I will be very very grateful!

I had both and have tested both. I can't do you a comparison video as I have sold the EHX Magnum.

Basically here is my opinion:

EHX Magnum

Pros

- Cheap
- Small and lightweight
- Loud. It is loudest through an 8 ohm load, and is less loud through a 16 ohm load. For me with an 8 ohm V30 2x12 it was loud enough for rock band rehearsals.
- No fan noise

Cons

- Some people have had reliability issues. I didn't, but there are some reports of people having issues.
- Much less bass at high volume than the Matrix, in comparison the higher volume tone is noticeably thinner, also at high volume it is not as dynamic. It is loud, but it is 'shouty' compared to the Matrix which sounds 'big', if that makes sense!
- Less tidy (I prefer having everything in a rack personally).

Matrix GT1000FX 1u

Pros

- Lots of headroom
- More versatile. It can handle stereo patches properly, it can handle two different cabinets with different ohm ratings, each cab can be set at an independent volume.
- A noticeably bigger tone than the Magnum. More bass, 'wider' sound and more dynamic at higher volume (due to headroom).

Cons

- Much more expensive
- Bigger and requires rack space
- Fan noise. Though in practice this is not an issue IMO, I can live with it at home and at band volume I never ever hear it.

Hope that helps! IMO if you have the money go Matrix, if you just want something cheap the Magnum is good but not as good as the Matrix.

Last edited:
+1

The GT1000FX is way ahead of the Magnum.

But ...

The Magnum is a pretty nice amp-in-a-box in itself.
It can be used all by itself, performing as a pre + power amp. Or as a power amp, with a pedal in front of it.
Provided you're keeping it clean (keep Level under 10 o'clock).

I keep one in my car, together with a Tech 21 Character British pedal. This is my backup rig.
We used used it recently through a 1x12, sounded great.

I've got an EHX Magnum and haven't had any issues with it so far. Very loud for rehearsals however it's a bit of a messy set up. Haven't tried a Matrix however the only factor that would make me buy is for how 'neat' it would look in a rack case.

I've actually used the EHX Magnum for quite awhile now. For the budget and size its very hard to beat. I also currently have the retro channel and carvin dcm 1540 too. Thing is the EHX is always in my pedal board bag so I tend to use it all the time. I run direct and just use a cab on stage for some fill. Honestly with most everyone getting the nice direct tone, I'm not to worried about my cab sound. Plus we use in-ears. Its definitely a great little backup amp option for sure. Never had a matrix myself, only played through a friends once or twice.

I've actually used the EHX Magnum for quite awhile now. For the budget and size its very hard to beat. I also currently have the retro channel and carvin dcm 1540 too. Thing is the EHX is always in my pedal board bag so I tend to use it all the time. I run direct and just use a cab on stage for some fill. Honestly with most everyone getting the nice direct tone, I'm not to worried about my cab sound. Plus we use in-ears. Its definitely a great little backup amp option for sure. Never had a matrix myself, only played through a friends once or twice.

How does the tone on the Magnum 44 compare with the Carvin 1540L?

Back
Top Bottom