Matrix 1000 vs Palmer 402 vs BAM200 vs SD PStage 170

bharjhol

Needed a poweramp in my Axe FX through a Matchless cab rig . I initially bought the SD and the BAM200. BAM200 sounded much better; returned the SD. BAM200 worked great but but I needed a 1u to put into a rack. Couldn't find a Matrix so I bought a new Palmer 402 Macht. Sounded pretty decent (not as tweakable as the BAM 200 though). Volume is no issue, usually 11 o clock for gig volume. Just a couple of days ago, I lucked into a used Matrix GT1000FX in great condition for under 500 bucks. Compared the Matrix and Palmer. Same cab and patches. The patches through the Matrix sound sooooo sweet compared to the Palmer. One thing that puzzles me though is the I have to turn the Matrix up to 1:30 o clock to get anywhere close to gig volume, the Palmer I get to gig volume at 11 o clock. Why would that be?
The Matrix manual says "0.775v / 0 dBu Inputs. Input level optimised for guitar amplifier use
How do I check this?

When I had a Matrix, I remember setting the volume on the Matrix at 3:00 and adjusting my volume at the Fractal output knobs.

Needed a poweramp in my Axe FX through a Matchless cab rig . I initially bought the SD and the BAM200. BAM200 sounded much better; returned the SD. BAM200 worked great but but I needed a 1u to put into a rack. Couldn't find a Matrix so I bought a new Palmer 402 Macht. Sounded pretty decent (not as tweakable as the BAM 200 though). Volume is no issue, usually 11 o clock for gig volume. Just a couple of days ago, I lucked into a used Matrix GT1000FX in great condition for under 500 bucks. Compared the Matrix and Palmer. Same cab and patches. The patches through the Matrix sound sooooo sweet compared to the Palmer. One thing that puzzles me though is the I have to turn the Matrix up to 1:30 o clock to get anywhere close to gig volume, the Palmer I get to gig volume at 11 o clock. Why would that be?
The Matrix manual says "0.775v / 0 dBu Inputs. Input level optimised for guitar amplifier use
How do I check this?
How does the BAM hold up against the Matrix?

I recall The God expressing some reservations about the SD Pstage; the feedback didn't seem positive at all. In contrast, it appears that The God leans towards Matrix. Perhaps, as they say, you get what you pay for, with different price points.

Personally, I own and endorse Matrix. I'm quite content, but I'm also intrigued by the idea of getting my hands on a Fryette LXII to personally assess how it compares to my GT1000fx.

I'm particularly curious about the authenticity and feel of the Fryette, especially considering how it handles the speaker impedance curve as a tube amp. I wonder if this might yield better results than my Matrix setup, where I have to choose a 'close/good sounding' curve from Axe SIC presets matching my 2 1x12 open back cabinets loaded with Pre Rola Greenbacks.

Last edited:
Yes, you are. The question was which one ;)

You have a choice of those 2 options... +4dB provides a higher level than -10dB (14dB, to be precise).
It is -10db. But this is the level for Outputs 1 and 2 right? Output 1 goes to my studio monitors and Output 2 is currently unused. I am using Output 3 for the Matrix/Guitar cabinet. Should I switch this to use Output 2?

It is -10db. But this is the level for Outputs 1 and 2 right? Output 1 goes to my studio monitors and Output 2 is currently unused. I am using Output 3 for the Matrix/Guitar cabinet. Should I switch this to use Output 2?
Yes, that's only for Outputs 1 and 2.

Output 3 is designed for unity gain and the front panel knob should typically be set all the way up.

Yes, that's only for Outputs 1 and 2.

Output 3 is designed for unity gain and the front panel knob should typically be set all the way up.
Wow if I set the front panel knob for Output 3 to full then I guess my Matrix level would have to be pretty low because right now the front panel knob for Output 3 is set to Noon. I will try to see what difference if any it makes. Thanks

Or I guess I could use Output 2 too right?

Wow if I set the front panel knob for Output 3 to full then I guess my Matrix level would have to be pretty low because right now the front panel knob for Output 3 is set to Noon. I will try to see what difference if any it makes. Thanks

Or I guess I could use Output 2 too right?
Yes, either way should work.

Love the BAM200! Sound-wise it's pretty much unbeatable for the price. I've heard reliability issues are a little more common, though.

I recall The God expressing some reservations about the SD Pstage; the feedback didn't seem positive at all. In contrast, it appears that The God leans towards Matrix. Perhaps, as they say, you get what you pay for, with different price points.

Personally, I own and endorse Matrix. I'm quite content, but I'm also intrigued by the idea of getting my hands on a Fryette LXII to personally assess how it compares to my GT1000fx.

I'm particularly curious about the authenticity and feel of the Fryette, especially considering how it handles the speaker impedance curve as a tube amp. I wonder if this might yield better results than my Matrix setup, where I have to choose a 'close/good sounding' curve from Axe SIC presets matching my 2 1x12 open back cabinets loaded with Pre Rola Greenbacks.
I’ve owned and used a Matrix GT1000FX for years, but recently purchased a Fryette LXII as an alternative power amp. after alternating between the two for several months, I have to say, there’s very little to choose between them Sound wise. They both simply do an awesome job. For me it’s only coming down to portability and gig/venue size. The weight of the Fryette is an issue so I tend to only take it to larger gigs, and the Matrix takes care of the others.

Back
Top Bottom