Matching AXE-FX III to TC Electronic G-Force

km 202257

Inspired
Attached is my take of matching AXE-FX III to TC Electronic G-Force, bundled with the IRs of my G-Force.
I also prepared a video of A/B comparison between my G-Force connected to my AXE-FX and my preset. You are hearing my G-Force when the input meter of G-Force on the left is working. Other than the volume adjustment, all the parameters are set to the equal value between the G-Force and the AXE-FX.

I once had a TC Nova System and really liked how it added colour to the tone. Not flat at all but there’s some very unique tone filtering going on with TC devices, making the FXs sound more pleasant. I missed that badly and was thinking of getting a TC device again.
Recently I was fortunate enough to come across a G-Force that is in good condition so I finally pulled off the trigger. My favourite hero Brian May once being a user was another reason to buy G-Force, too.
IMG_2664.jpg

Here's some more writeups...
  • Just by copy-and-pasting the IR Player block of the attached preset right after the effects block, you can make most of the effects sound closer to G-Force, as far as G-Force also covers the effects.
  • When I shot the IRs, I used my AXE-FX as the audio interface and fed test signal to G-Force from it. Therefore, the IR captures the same frequency response as that of G-Force connected to an AXE-FX via analog I/O.
  • I also did a measurement of this G-Force by feeding white noise via Digital I/O to see if there's any additional filters baked in its software domain. However, I couldn't find any significant tone shaping other than filtering of very low frequencies (below 5Hz).
    • I did find high frequencies attenuated by G-Force's pitch shifter algorithm (above 7.5Khz in Detune mode and 12Khz in Voice Pitcher mode), but I couldn't figure out if it's from low-pass filter or not. AXE-FX's detune sounded closer to G-Force when I didn't engage the low-pass filter of Pitch block.
  • According to the user manual*, G-Force has a latency of 1.5ms (0.9 ms for A to D Delay + 0.6 ms for D to A Delay). If you want to port G-Force's parameters to AXE-FX, you may get better results by adding +1.5 ms to the delay time parameter.
  • There may be more tonal profiles of G-Force that I haven't yet capturing into AXE-FX successfully.
    • According to the user manual*, G-Force has an active transformer on the analog outputs and it may have non-linear characteristics that cannot be captured by IRs.
    • Also, I didn't dig into algorithm that much. If you really want to match an AXE-FX to G-Force's effects, you may need to use your ears and tweak blocks manually.
*G-Force's user manual is available at: https://mediadl.musictribe.com/down...onic/tc_electronic_g-force_manual_english.pdf

Attachments

• TC G-Force IR Sample km.202257.fasBundle
    31.3 KB · Views: 24
Back
Top Bottom