Matchbox D30 questions

I generally associate this amp with Praise and Worship tones and wonder how they get these fantastic tones. Then again, I’m using a tele with PAF’s so that’s could be a good portion of it.

Aren’t the P&W guys often running them clean though? For me the magic of the C-30 is cranking the channel volume on or near full and using the guitar volume to back off if necessary (ie, when using my actual real HC-30), and those are two very different sounds.

But the tone controls are very interactive, and the amp can go from dark to very bright, and I find it very sensitive to different guitars (I.e., unlike some amps that kinda make everything sound the same). So if you’re finding it too dark, experiment with the cabs and don’t be afraid of extreme settings on the tone controls.

I play a guitar with two humbuckers, but I also love chimey tones. Though experimentation I found that the best way for me to get an amp to reveal its high end and remove the mud was to simulate using single coil pickups with a PEQ block placed right after the input block. I set a mild bass boost, mild dip around 800Hz, a huge boost around 5kHz, and a low pass around 4-something kHz. Then I drop the output by 20dB. That really does the trick, and I'm getting the intended results from Fender, Vox, and other low gain amps. Every guitar is different, so these settings are just jumping off points, so you'd just want to use your ears, but to me it's a good method for making an amp like this really shine. Best of luck!

thanks for the replies! @JoKeR III @unFILTERed

How are your settings on these? I don’t generally mess with the ideal settings as much; I just use the authentic tab (perhaps I shoot myself in the foot because I take the simple/purist approach haha). I use the York Audio IR’s as well; mostly from the mixes folder.

I generally associate this amp with Praise and Worship tones and wonder how they get these fantastic tones. Then again, I’m using a tele with PAF’s so that’s could be a good portion of it.
Here's the base preset I'm using for most of the P&W presets lately. Take a peek at the Input and Output EQs, Speaker and Dynamics pages, there are some parameters I like to use in most presets. I'll typically use the volume on the guitar if it needs to be cleaner but the amp is pretty dynamic so picking lighter can yield some pretty clean tones as well.

Another thing you can do to add chimeyness to practically any amp, which is done in this preset, is reduce the High Freq, increase the HF Reso and play around with the HF Slope in the Speaker page.

The Volume block is attached to 'FC 1 Pedal 1'. Either reassign it or turn the Volume block off if it doesn't work with your setup.
If you mess around with any of the other blocks, the Pitch Shift 'Mix' in Reverb 2 is attached to 'FC 1 Pedal 2'.

Attachments

• Matchbox D30 EF86 2023.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 16
as i wrote already it’s my go to amp but i just remembered that i posted exactly the same question a while ago about this amp.

find my ways to come around it being dark, cause i like the dynamics, response,break up characteristics etc more than any other amp.

Back
Top Bottom