Presets MASTER THREAD - AustinBuddy 1000+ LIVEGOLD TonePack Updated for Cygnus X3 - JULY 2024 Update!

Third party presets and packs for Fractal Audio products
I must be doing something wrong here, either with my setup or my expectations.

As you may have seen in the Amps and Cabs forum, I've got an issue whereby my AFX3 sounds pretty rubbish at high volumes (had first band rehearsal last week). This was including these Live Gold presets. Now, I'm certainly not saying they're rubbish (at all), but I'm trying to use them as a benchmark to get some advice, as many people use them.

What I found is that the sound was very harsh and 'barked' at band volumes through my speakers (this was via 2 RedSound LG12s, then a pair of Headrush 108s and finally our Mackie 15" PA speakers). Is this how everyone hears these at loud volumes? I applied a cut at 120Hz and 5000Hz (after 6500Hz didn't seem to work).

This was using the plexi presets.

Just trying to understand if that's what everyone hears, and my expectations need to be reset, or if there's something else happening.

Ok, so this may be a question for Buddy, but anyone else chime in as I’m such a newbie here. Presets sound great, and this is defintely the best of the best.

Question though, I did this last night and it seemed to work, but I made a Mesa preset from scratch and just manually copied Buddy’s settings one by one to all the different areas. Time consuming, but seemed to sound amazing once it was done.

Is this giving me the full effect of Cygnus since I started from scratch, or is the amp block still a thing. Im still so new to this and want to make sure I’m getting the full effect of Cygnus, plus I love Austin Buddy’s sound and feel they are the closest to the actual amps.

@Orlando Flores Sure - If you are already on firmware 4.x Cygnus, and you start an amp block fresh/from scratch and you can write in all the settings from any firmware 3 AustinBuddy presets, it will now be Cygnus amp and be fine and "close" to what it was under firmware 3 in most cases. You would not need to do any kind of soft or hard reset, because the initial default amp you would pull up is already a Cygnus one.

The power amp modeling is different than in firmware 4/Cygnus than firmware 3, and I have to adjust for that when I do update presets. Meaning I may need to move the Master Volume up a little (usually 0.50 does the trick), or if there is no master volume, then the gain up a little (also 0.50 usually), and (important) re-level the preset -- it may be a few duds less, or the same, or a few abs more than under firmware 4 -- at least the Marshall-style amps were all like that.

I also have to check bottom end and adjust Bass or Low Cut or Depth, because that bottom end got thicker with Cygnus. Last, there are a few amps that have been updated by Cliff anew, and so those may sound off using prior preset settings. But 85% of them shoulder fine under your suggested approach -- but you have to copy everything over, not just the main amp page settings.

Remember, I make tweaks/changes in lots of pages on the amp block - not just the main one. I set Speaker Comp to zero, not 1 or default. In about 25% of the amps I change the default speaker impedance curve to something I like that sounds better with the Cab IT I picked. I use Low Cut on Input EQ a lot and it varies by the amp gain level too, because can go up and get mushy as gain increases... (so for channels for one amp may have settings - example would be a low cut of 88HZ for cleans, 100Hz for low, 112HZ for Rhythm, and 133HZ for leads).

I will usually add 0.25 of output compression for clean sounds. I may add a hair/touch of input dynamics, usually 0.10 is enough. I may use the Graphic EQ to drop lows if too bass, or enhance upper mids/highs. I usually change the default saturation drive away from 4.0 or another default if that is too loud under the Ideal setting, and dial that in, so it boosts but does not blow out speakers. I set the Amp Boost db to something other than 12 db most of the time, so it doesn't produce flabby bass. On EVH stuff I may set the Variac to be around 86% or so. Etc.

I was thinking of offering to customers a temporary Cygnus-converted bank, using FracTool to preserve all my prior tweaks, to everyone, for all TonePacks as a stop gap -- knowing it would not be 100% perfect since i haven;'t gone through them, but could be used by you guys until I go through everything with a final and release.

BUT - I discovered somehow, between Cygnus updating presets and maybe FracTool conversion from old firmware 3 bank into Cygnus, the amp block Input EQ Low Cut was being reset back to default values (I use that parameter a LOT). It's not a FracTool amp re-setter problem. Why is this happening/ I don't know for sure yet...

My educated guess is Cliff Chase re-did some amp models and updated their low cut values, because I noticed he did change the default Low Cut for some amps .... and so in Cygnus it may be forcing a reset of Low Cut values to his new default values (at least it did when I converted the bank using FracTool). The maker of FracTool is aware of this and looking in it.

If this can't be fixed to preserve the original firmware 15 low cut values on conversion of presets from firmware 15 to Cygnus, then I have to manually put 1200+ (with 400+ already done, bank 1) for Live Gold alone -- manual entries by eyeballing from one screen editor (old firmware 15 preset) to another (Cygnus preset). And THAT my friends is what contributes to making this process take so long. If that can be fixed so converting to Cygnus keeps the old Low Cut values from firmware 15, then updates will go much faster and get out to you faster. If not, then the tight low end on all the amps is messed up and your presets will be too bass-heavy. That's really what I am waiting on now. Hell I could probably get both Live Gold Banks 2 and 3 out by the week of June 4th, not July 4th, if it were not for this one sticky issue.

If we are lucky, it will turn out to be a FracTool conversion issue and fixable. If we're not and it's some thing the Cygnus firmware is coded to do, then I'm stuck and 1200+ manual amp low cut entries await me....well technically, 800+ because eBank 1 is done.

If sound like I'm whining, I'm really not -- am just laying out the process and "why."
If I buy this and roll back from cygnus to the last Ares release, will the old bank 1 marshall presets be still available on the download?

yes - the firmware 15 version downloads remain available in your account.

Just had something happen I thought I would mention just in case anyone else has the same problem. I accidentally put it on the AxeIII preset exchange forum first, but it occurred on the FM3.

The Hook 2A preset from Live Gold had a static sound in the background on all channels. More noticeable around the 7th to 9th fret on the middle strings. CPU is only around 60%, so that wasn't the issue. I finally shunted the amp block, then put a new one in and that seems to have solved it. Not sure if it was just my unit or if anyone else hears it too.

Just had something happen I thought I would mention just in case anyone else has the same problem. I accidentally put it on the AxeIII preset exchange forum first, but it occurred on the FM3.

The Hook 2A preset from Live Gold had a static sound in the background on all channels. More noticeable around the 7th to 9th fret on the middle strings. CPU is only around 60%, so that wasn't the issue. I finally shunted the amp block, then put a new one in and that seems to have solved it. Not sure if it was just my unit or if anyone else hears it too.
Try this: Disconnect the CS controllers and I bet the crackle goes away? Leave CS2 amp boost in, if you can - key part of making great tone. (Or watch my video and leanr how to use the CS by Scene settings on Controller page in editor).

But you don’t need the others like Bright or Saturation for the Hook amp.

This problem came up before on prior firmware... what people don’t always get is that the CPU% on the unit is the sum of BOTH the amp/cab block chip AND the effects chips. So the Amp chip could be near max CPU - but total of both CPUs could only be at 70%.

Controllers/CS attached to amp block add CPU load. All this was fixed for firmware 3.x. But Cygnus is new code and may take up more amp CPU, hence “the crackle can return.”

solution - Just disconnect a CS controller, save, and repeat, until the crackle goes away.

Ya’ll post here any amps where this major issues on FM3.

Hope this helps!

Any tips for making the bogner Xtasy rig come alive a bit more? I’ve heard such great things about the amp and maybe just using the wrong guitar. Not a knock against your work Abuddy and I dont expect every preset to be top notch but just wondering since I’ve heard such awesome things about the versatility of the ecstasy amp

Any tips for making the bogner Xtasy rig come alive a bit more? I’ve heard such great things about the amp and maybe just using the wrong guitar. Not a knock against your work Abuddy and I dont expect every preset to be top notch but just wondering since I’ve heard such awesome things about the versatility of the ecstasy amp
First, use CS2 amp db Boost, just like the real amp’s boost switch. That wakes it up nicely.

You can also raise the input trim to 1.3 to 1.5 and see if you like that.

Second try overdrive pedals like FET/Klon. My

Third, play with the presence control - it needs to be pretty high (over 7). Over 8 is fine if you need to.

You can always raise the Dynamics from 0 to 0.10 and will touch respond more.

Also, I prefer the vintage with EL34 tines to the Modern with 6L6s.

I have a real one, a Ecstasy 101b, and I dialed the new Bank C Factory preset submitted to Fractal as well as the LiveGold version to the sounds I mostly use on it for the Blue and Red channel. But it is a very versatile amp.

Don’t be afraid to twist the Bass/Middle/Treble knobs away from noon. Lukather puts his Ecstasy’s mids on 9 I think.

Last - turn up the amp Level a db or 2. You’d be surprised how this can “wake an amp up.”

Hope that helps some?

edit: PS Cooper Carter emailed me a few days ago to rave about the XTC preset I made, he was digging it!

First, use CS2 amp db Boost, just like the real amp’s boost switch. That wakes it up nicely.

You can also raise the input trim to 1.3 to 1.5 and see if you like that.

Second try overdrive pedals like FET/Klon. My

Third, play with the presence control - it needs to be pretty high (over 7). Over 8 is fine if you need to.

You can always raise the Dynamics from 0 to 0.10 and will touch respond more.

Also, I prefer the vintage with EL34 tines to the Modern with 6L6s.

I have a real one, a Ecstasy 101b, and I dialed the new Bank C Factory preset submitted to Fractal as well as the LiveGold version to the sounds I mostly use on it for the Blue and Red channel. But it is a very versatile amp.

Don’t be afraid to twist the Bass/Middle/Treble knobs away from noon. Lukather puts his Ecstasy’s mids on 9 I think.

Last - turn up the amp Level a db or 2. You’d be surprised how this can “wake an amp up.”

Hope that helps some?

edit: PS Cooper Carter emailed me a few days ago to rave about the XTC preset I made, he was digging it!
Thanks I will try these suggestions. The XTC preset is the exact one I’m talking about!

Thanks I will try these suggestions. The XTC preset is the exact one I’m talking about!
In the new Factory Bank C, or the one in the LiveGold updated to Cygnus in Bank 1?

I think good Fractal folks may have adjusted the levels of what I sent them to better fit with the others. You can take the compressor that is placed after the can off that one if you like, but I like it...

In the new Factory Bank C, or the one in the LiveGold updated to Cygnus in Bank 1?

I think good Fractal folks may have adjusted the levels of what I sent them to better fit with the others. You can take the compressor that is placed after the can off that one if you like, but I like it...
Def not Cygnus one because my fm3 is still on 3.01 release so whatever that version is

How should I configure the CS2 in Axe edit? I've loaded your layouts but I can't find CS2 boost on the footswitches of my FM3.

I must be doing something wrong here, either with my setup or my expectations.

As you may have seen in the Amps and Cabs forum, I've got an issue whereby my AFX3 sounds pretty rubbish at high volumes (had first band rehearsal last week). This was including these Live Gold presets. Now, I'm certainly not saying they're rubbish (at all), but I'm trying to use them as a benchmark to get some advice, as many people use them.

What I found is that the sound was very harsh and 'barked' at band volumes through my speakers (this was via 2 RedSound LG12s, then a pair of Headrush 108s and finally our Mackie 15" PA speakers). Is this how everyone hears these at loud volumes? I applied a cut at 120Hz and 5000Hz (after 6500Hz didn't seem to work).

This was using the plexi presets.

Just trying to understand if that's what everyone hears, and my expectations need to be reset, or if there's something else happening.

Hey @FarleyUK - you can email me and I can try to help. Let me put this info out to all here, to see if it helps others struggling with FRFRs to get them sounding good.

In general, all "FRFR" speakers are not the same. I have my system tied to 1) an expensive pair of ATC25s (studio mixer quality), 2) Atomic Neo CLRs, and a 3) JBL PR812x PA speakers - and while the DNA of a preset is present on each when I play it and switch around, they do NOT sound the same.

I dial everything in on Atomic NEO CLRs because they have a very well defined upper mids which is a key part of guitar sound that needs to "be right." They also cut everything below 70Hz. Those are also coaxial speakers.

But when I play LiveGold presets on stage, loud as f*** through my Mission 2X12 Gemini II for gigs, which is an FRFR as well, it has a tweeter (and crossover) in it, and unfiltered it has too many lows and too many highs that are not present when I play through the Atomic Neo CLRs.

So, as solution, what I do is put a PEQ block in each gig preset, placed right before the appropriate Output Block going to the FRFR (Gemini II in this case, Output2). In that PEQ block, I cut a bunch of lows and highs with a strong shelf/cut, and boost some mids and upper mids but not heavily, nothing above +1db for me. Doing that "tunes" my FRFR to my preset similar to how I hear them on my Atomic CLRs, but even better, that helps makes the Mission Gemini II sound more like an amp/stack in the room. Know many others do the same approach.

I'm going to paste an example of this PEQ block settings below for you (and any others) to try out, if you are struggling with FRFRs to sound like an amp on stage with your presets or LiveGold presets. Using this solution may help solve your issue.

If you think about it, this kind of EQ filtering is of what your FOH/sound person would do at a Board to get your amp/sound to fit in a total band mix and not have clashing frequencies with other instruments.

Don't look at the below screen shot as "Gospel" settings, but as a guide or starting point. You will need to tweak some to "tune them" to your own FRFRs to get to the sound you like -- but this is the overall concept.

Generally speaking, the "meat" of a guitar sound is between 200Hz and 500Hz. If you are putting out frequencies below 100Hz in your guitar signal, it's going to be muddy and conflict with bass in mix (granted, 7 string metal may be an exception). The guitar and note definition is in the 800 to 2.2KHz range.

Guitar speakers really don't put much out over 6.5kHz frequency wise. An FRFR (or Cab IR!) that is letting those high frequencies through instead of shelving them (if not cut in cab block, say) is going to sound harsh on upper end.

Screen Shot 2021-06-04 at 2.25.57 PM.png

So when you look at the above, looking at the Frequency SLOPE, not the numbers, you will see a gentle (not heavy slope) low cut starts about 110 Hz, a gentle hi cut starts about 4.5kHz, and a gentle mid boost happens from about 150Hz to about 2.5kHz. Note I then I cut the LEVEL by -1db to compensate for the PEQ (boosted mids mainly) making the sound louder than the signal entering the Output block.

Note that I am using the Shelving 2 and Peaking 2 types for each PEQ band, NOT the default ones. These are smoother curves. On Frequency 4, I will alter the affected frequency range from 1.2kHz to 2.2KHz depending on how bright I want it and what pickups (single coil/humbuckers) am using. You could also do four variations of this using the ABCD channels and switch it up that way. I usually don't need to touch the Q value (defaults to 0.707) but can if need be.

I've also found that doing this PEQ block placement before the Output block on a per preset basis in our band's set list (Aerosmith stuff) instead of globally gives me a little more control to adjust the sound by preset -- since I'm switching guitars, pickup types, and preset sounds, rather than than trying to "fit" one overall PEQ in the Global output to work across everything, but you can also try that too.

Hope this is helpful! I think @yek's Wiki on the Axe- Fx III covers some of this material as well.

Hey @FarleyUK - you can email me and I can try to help. Let me put this info out to all here, to see if it helps others struggling with FRFRs to get them sounding good.

In general, all "FRFR" speakers are not the same. I have my system tied to 1) an expensive pair of ATC25s (studio mixer quality), 2) Atomic Neo CLRs, and a 3) JBL PR812x PA speakers - and while the DNA of a preset is present on each when I play it and switch around, they do NOT sound the same.

I dial everything in on Atomic NEO CLRs because they have a very well defined upper mids which is a key part of guitar sound that needs to "be right." They also cut everything below 70Hz. Those are also coaxial speakers.

But when I play LiveGold presets on stage, loud as f*** through my Mission 2X12 Gemini II for gigs, which is an FRFR as well, it has a tweeter (and crossover) in it, and unfiltered it has too many lows and too many highs that are not present when I play through the Atomic Neo CLRs.

So, as solution, what I do is put a PEQ block in each gig preset, placed right before the appropriate Output Block going to the FRFR (Gemini II in this case, Output2). In that PEQ block, I cut a bunch of lows and highs with a strong shelf/cut, and boost some mids and upper mids but not heavily, nothing above +1db for me. Doing that "tunes" my FRFR to my preset similar to how I hear them on my Atomic CLRs, but even better, that helps makes the Mission Gemini II sound more like an amp/stack in the room. Know many others do the same approach.

I'm going to paste an example of this PEQ block settings below for you (and any others) to try out, if you are struggling with FRFRs to sound like an amp on stage with your presets or LiveGold presets. Using this solution may help solve your issue.

If you think about it, this kind of EQ filtering is of what your FOH/sound person would do at a Board to get your amp/sound to fit in a total band mix and not have clashing frequencies with other instruments.

Don't look at the below screen shot as "Gospel" settings, but as a guide or starting point. You will need to tweak some to "tune them" to your own FRFRs to get to the sound you like -- but this is the overall concept.

Generally speaking, the "meat" of a guitar sound is between 200Hz and 500Hz. If you are putting out frequencies below 100Hz in your guitar signal, it's going to be muddy and conflict with bass in mix (granted, 7 string metal may be an exception). The guitar and note definition is in the 800 to 2.2KHz range.

Guitar speakers really don't put much out over 6.5kHz frequency wise. An FRFR (or Cab IR!) that is letting those high frequencies through instead of shelving them (if not cut in cab block, say) is going to sound harsh on upper end.

View attachment 84380

So when you look at the above, looking at the Frequency SLOPE, not the numbers, you will see a gentle (not heavy slope) low cut starts about 110 Hz, a gentle hi cut starts about 4.5kHz, and a gentle mid boost happens from about 150Hz to about 2.5kHz. Note I then I cut the LEVEL by -1db to compensate for the PEQ (boosted mids mainly) making the sound louder than the signal entering the Output block.

Note that I am using the Shelving 2 and Peaking 2 types for each PEQ band, NOT the default ones. These are smoother curves. On Frequency 4, I will alter the affected frequency range from 1.2kHz to 2.2KHz depending on how bright I want it and what pickups (single coil/humbuckers) am using. You could also do four variations of this using the ABCD channels and switch it up that way. I usually don't need to touch the Q value (defaults to 0.707) but can if need be.

I've also found that doing this PEQ block placement before the Output block on a per preset basis in our band's set list (Aerosmith stuff) instead of globally gives me a little more control to adjust the sound by preset -- since I'm switching guitars, pickup types, and preset sounds, rather than than trying to "fit" one overall PEQ in the Global output to work across everything, but you can also try that too.

Hope this is helpful! I think @yek's Wiki on the Axe- Fx III covers some of this material as well.
Once again, you prove why you’re “the man” 😊 thanks Buddy!

I actually think I’ve kind of fixed it; still not as smooth as I’d like, but I have a cut of around -15dB at 2200hz in the output EQ, and have raised them off the ground on some stands. Also have a lift of about 2dB at around 5500Hz.

I normally add a PEQ before the output as well, with cuts at 110 and 6500. Also a sharp cut of -4 at 3300hz.

Thanks again!

Once again, you prove why you’re “the man” 😊 thanks Buddy!

I actually think I’ve kind of fixed it; still not as smooth as I’d like, but I have a cut of around -15dB at 2200hz in the output EQ, and have raised them off the ground on some stands. Also have a lift of about 2dB at around 5500Hz.

I normally add a PEQ before the output as well, with cuts at 110 and 6500. Also a sharp cut of -4 at 3300hz.

Thanks again!
You got the recipe! Now it is all about how you decide to spice it for your own taste! Glad you hear the improvement, and sorry for delay in responding.

Back
Top Bottom