Marshall Plexi SLP 1959 + Jose Arredondo mod

Clive

Experienced
Hi,

There's a lot of plexis in the Axe and I'd like to know what is your best solution to achive the sound of the Marshall Plexi SLP 1959 + Jose Arredondo mod.

Would you advise me to use :
-a plexi in the Axe with some particular settings,
-a Friedman BE with some particular settings?

Was the Hairy Brown Eye from the Brown Eye 100 (real) amp a setting created especially for the this amp or was it available in previous plexis.

Thanks.

Thanks Johan.

Jose Arredondo mod = Saturation switch in the Advanced section.

The wiki says : 9. Use the Saturation parameter to emulate the famous "Jose Arredondo mod" on the JCM800. Cliff: "The saturation switch switches in a zener diode clipping stage right before the tone stack. This is the Arrendondo Mod".

This is for the JCM 800 but you say this also works for the 1959SLP amp blocks, that's it ?

Thanks Johan.

The wiki says : 9. Use the Saturation parameter to emulate the famous "Jose Arredondo mod" on the JCM800. Cliff: "The saturation switch switches in a zener diode clipping stage right before the tone stack. This is the Arrendondo Mod".

This is for the JCM 800 but you say this also works for the 1959SLP amp blocks, that's it ?

Yes, it's is the same regardless of amp type.

How would you set the saturation switch and the saturation drive to get the Jose Arredondo mod in SLP 1959 100W Treble now that the paramaters have changed since my first post.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I'm a Jose Arrdeondo fan. I also own a mike fortin Cali mod and waiting for my 1981 Marshall Jcm 800 which is getting the authentic high gain Jose mod done to it by friedman.

That said there is a lot more to the Jose mod then just the sat switch on. He added an extra gain stage so the stock Marshalls in the axe will not get that amount of gain.

Here is Jose authentic mod notes that Fortin/Gower and Friedman can do

Saturated high gain tones with that killer 80's style midrange
Bright and Normal channels in parallel (like a Plexi with jumped inputs) can be blended together or used individuallyDual Gain controls for each channelAdded 12AX7 preamp tube for an extra gain stage on each channel, switchable via push/pull Gain potsMaster Volume Control with Push/Pull switch (adds more gain/sustain and gives a more aggressive tone when pulled. Sounds killer even at lower volumes)Elevated Heaters for low noise floor

The browneye is the first input on the Friedman BE-100 the hairy browneye is input two on the amp.

Browneye=3 gain stages
Hairy browneye=4 gain stages

The BE-100 is a bit more modern and refined then the Jose type sound.

One more question : BE100 and Atomica are MV amps whereas the 1959 SLP with Jose Arredondo mod was a non MV amp.

How would you set the MV on the BE100 and on the Atomica to approach the sound of the 1959 SLP with Arredondo mod ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
One more question : BE100 and Atomica are MV amps whereas the 1959 SLP with Jose Arredondo mod was a non MV amp.

How would you set the MV on the BE100 and on the Atomica to approch the sound of the 1959 SLP with Arredondo mod ?

Thanks.

Easy, you have to use your ears. You would have to with real amps too.

For me the main influence of the power amp is power amp distortion followed by the character of the bass. Listen to reference tone you like and try to set the master to get the right balance of power amp distortion and tight / loose bass.

Also, once you dial in the power amp distortion that you want with the master, you can influence the bass by adjusting negative feedback.

Back
Top Bottom