Marshall/G System user now torn after hearing AXE

Many years ago I started out on a tonequest. I went through a lot of gear both tube and non tube. Some of the rigs I was happy with consisted of Mesa 50/50, Mesa 2:100 and VHT 2:50:2 power amps, Triaxis and Randall RM4 preamps, and Lexicon MPX-1, TC G-Force and Boss GT-6 for effects. For cabs I was using G-Flex 2x12's with V30's. I liked the sound I was getting, but was always eager to try out new stuff... so I got an Ultra.

When I compared apples to apples by mic'ing up my favorite rig with my mic of choice (Sennheiser 906's) and sent that to FOH vs. the Axe-FX direct to FOH, I preferred the Axe-FX. The Axe just seemed to have more of everything I wanted in a FOH sound.

The only drawback was my stage sound. Since I no longer had an amp behind me, I was missing that amp in the room sound. It took a good 6 months to get used to hearing myself in the monitors only... and to give up that feeling of being kicked in the back by a 4x12 when playing staccato chords.

When other guitar players come to see me they comment that it sounds great when they're about 10' back from the stage, but when they get closer they want to hear my amp... but it's not there.

So... if you're playing venues where your amp is off stage and already rely heavily on the monitors to hear yourself then the Axe will be a great improvement.

If you're playing smaller venues and count on hearing your sound as it comes from a 4x12, then there will be an adjustment period... And if you think you're torn now between staying with your TSL or going with an Axe-FX... just wait until you get the Axe and start exploring the possibilities within that box.

I say give it a try! You have two weeks to try it out. I've had my AxeFx for less than a week and I'm already preparing the eBay auctions for my tube gear and pedals. The Axe sounds and feels as good as or better than any tube amp I've owned. No more cables running every where, no more cranking the amp up the sweet spot and hoping I don't piss the neighbors off, no more GAS-ing for more amps because mine only has one or two tones...

Ok...did a bit of dancing, cajoling, and whatnot and have called in a marker or two.
I am going to get an Ultra.
I sent them an email asking if they have a promo code I can use...who knows...perhaps they'll send me one...there's a spot on the checkout sheet for it...they gotta come from somewhere ya know...

grumpops said:
Thank you...all of you.

I'm just now trying to come up with the money.
Went to the friend's house and plugged into his system with mine sitting right next to it.

He uses two basic settings and then assigns fx as stomp boxes.
Clean, clean with a bit of rasp, dirty clean

Lead, heavier lead, really heavy lead.

I was playing through a patch called BRITISH 900 with a chrous and delay.
OMG...it sounded like the screaming hair glam guitars of the 80's...I cannot get that from my Marshall and here I thought they were playing through tube Marshalls....go figure.

But the fullness of the tones was what really got me.
We spent hours tweaking the EQ in the G System trying to get the same sound and it just wasn't happening.

So, I'm sold..it's just a matter of the cash now.

I say make the jump. I used a G-Force with a JMP-1 and a variety of of other tube amp/preamps. The effects alone in the Axe easily surpass the TC unit and I am able to get amp tones I was always searchng for but couldn't find before. Even more important to me is the elusive "it feels right" aspect of the Axe. :shock: :D

I purchased my Ultra and was able to sell my old rig off on ebay and CL before my CC bill even came in. I do still have my old beat to crap Superlead head and a couple of 4x12's. One of which is now empty because I sold the speakers to help pay for a verve 12ma...it'll make a nice lightweight stage prop now when I need one... :lol: I'll probably hang onto the Superlead because it needs caps, tubes and probably could use a retolexing but I don't feel like putting the cash into it to get it into saleable shape.

Bottom line I am happy as a clam and I've only scratched the surface of the Axe.

Rich G. said:
Many years ago I started out on a tonequest. I went through a lot of gear both tube and non tube. Some of the rigs I was happy with consisted of Mesa 50/50, Mesa 2:100 and VHT 2:50:2 power amps, Triaxis and Randall RM4 preamps, and Lexicon MPX-1, TC G-Force and Boss GT-6 for effects. For cabs I was using G-Flex 2x12's with V30's. I liked the sound I was getting, but was always eager to try out new stuff... so I got an Ultra.

When I compared apples to apples by mic'ing up my favorite rig with my mic of choice (Sennheiser 906's) and sent that to FOH vs. the Axe-FX direct to FOH, I preferred the Axe-FX. The Axe just seemed to have more of everything I wanted in a FOH sound.

The only drawback was my stage sound. Since I no longer had an amp behind me, I was missing that amp in the room sound. It took a good 6 months to get used to hearing myself in the monitors only... and to give up that feeling of being kicked in the back by a 4x12 when playing staccato chords.

When other guitar players come to see me they comment that it sounds great when they're about 10' back from the stage, but when they get closer they want to hear my amp... but it's not there.

So... if you're playing venues where your amp is off stage and already rely heavily on the monitors to hear yourself then the Axe will be a great improvement.

If you're playing smaller venues and count on hearing your sound as it comes from a 4x12, then there will be an adjustment period... And if you think you're torn now between staying with your TSL or going with an Axe-FX... just wait until you get the Axe and start exploring the possibilities within that box.

Even in this case you could run the Axe to power amp(s) / Cabs without a Cab sim, or run to both power amp(s) / Cabs without a cab sim and to monitors with a cab sim since the Axe has two outputs that can be active simultaniously and even EQ'd separately or with different effects engaged.

Rich G. said:

There are many quality powered monitors that will do the 'stage volume' job if you want that.

I say make the jump. I used a G-Force with a JMP-1 and a variety of of other tube amp/preamps. The effects alone in the Axe easily surpass the TC unit and I am able to get amp tones I was always searchng for but couldn't find before. Even more important to me is the elusive "it feels right" aspect of the Axe. :shock: :D

DONE...I should have my Ultra by Saturday...

Since purchasing my Ultra, i haven't looked at getting new gear other than guitars LOL. I finally can focus on purchasing the best guitars for the different style of music i play, now if thats not freedom i don't know what is.

+1 on the "guitars instead of rigs" freedom!

Since curing my amp GAS I've re-ignited my guitar GAS. After selling a few, I'm in re-acquisition mode. Double-stained black cherry PRS SC 250 w/10-top and birds just landed on my porch sez mama (dumped my Fly for it, got it for 1600 in "gigged" condition). But better yet, I was watching a Brian Setzer video last night and my wife said "what kind of guitar is that? That looks cool". Just to clarify: MY WIFE SAID A GUITAR WAS COOL. Gretsch 6120, baby!!!! Orange!!!! I can almost taste it. I never would have considered a Gretsch in the past, since I didn't have the "right" amp, .... but that's not a problem now. :lol: Never mind that I can't play rockabilly to save my life. :?: I'll learn a few Eddie Cochran chords in no time. :mrgreen:

If mama sez you can buy it, do it before she comes to her senses!

+1 on the "guitars instead of rigs" freedom!

Since curing my amp GAS I've re-ignited my guitar GAS. After selling a few, I'm in re-acquisition mode. Double-stained black cherry PRS SC 250 w/10-top and birds just landed on my porch sez mama (dumped my Fly for it, got it for 1600 in "gigged" condition). But better yet, I was watching a Brian Setzer video last night and my wife said "what kind of guitar is that? That looks cool". Just to clarify: MY WIFE SAID A GUITAR WAS COOL. Such a remark, as those of us of a certain level of maturity and experience can attest, signals an opening of profound proportions that must be recognized and exploited at all costs. Gretsch 6120, baby!!!! Orange!!!! I can almost taste it. I never would have considered a Gretsch in the past, since I didn't have the "right" amp, .... but that's not a problem now. :lol: Never mind that I can't play rockabilly to save my life. :?: I'll learn a few Eddie Cochran chords in no time. :mrgreen:

If mama sez you can buy it, do it before she comes to her senses!

Back
Top Bottom