Marshall bright cap poll

Do you use the bright cap on older Marshall’s?

• Yes with default cap value

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Yes with modified cap value

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Rarely

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

skolacki

Fractal Fanatic
Do you use the bright cap on the Plexi’s and older Marshall models? I’m genuinely curious because I almost never do. It’s too much for me. The bright effect is related to the pot setting and I’m a classic rock gain player so the effect is very prominent.

Used to take it out right away. Couldn't ever jell with it for some reason. I've since started using them again, but only sometimes and almost never stock value. A lot of whatever my brain perceives as Marshall character seems to be tied to that bright cap (or at least after a slightly life-altering run-in with a Bogner Helios 100 a few years ago).

On my real Super Lead I had installed a push/pull Vol (Treble), Pull was a 250pf bright cap (I couldn't even stand a 500pf, let alone a 5000pf in there), Push was no bright cap at all and that was almost always my choice regardless if I was playing at 2 or 10 (at 8.5 to 10 it wouldn't matter).

Since plexi amps is what I use 99% of the time, the first thing I always do is to switch off the bright cap.

On my real Super Lead I had installed a push/pull Vol (Treble), Pull was a 250pf bright cap (I couldn't even stand a 500pf, let alone a 5000pf in there), Push was no bright cap at all and that was almost always my choice regardless if I was playing at 2 or 10 (at 8.5 to 10 it wouldn't matter).

Since plexi amps is what I use 99% of the time, the first thing I always do is to switch off the bright cap.

I was playing a bit today and I tried my 6CA7 preset. Turned on the bright cap and tried to adjust in to where I liked it. And failed. I always do. That’s why I posted the poll so I could see if I’m just weird or my ears are screwed or if other people feel the same way.

I have an old Carvin X 100B chassis with transformers. I ripped the guts out and it’s been many things since. It’s a 50 watt 1987ish build right now and sounds nice. It does have a bright cap. Can’t recall the value but I put a trim pot in series with it. Then I was able to dial it in for my usual gain level.

This is my plexi preset, good times. Cant do it with the real one lol

Someone here posted awhile back about setting all knobs to 10 on a Plexi 100 watt. I tried it and was completely surprised because it sounded pretty damn good. I thought it’d be a mess but it wasn’t. And no you couldn’t do that with the real amp without a load box. I saw a video once where some guys tried that for real. Pete Thorn was in it I think.

Someone here posted awhile back about setting all knobs to 10 on a Plexi 100 watt. I tried it and was completely surprised because it sounded pretty damn good. I thought it’d be a mess but it wasn’t. And no you couldn’t do that with the real amp without a load box. I saw a video once where some guys tried that for real. Pete Thorn was in it I think.
I’ll 100% try it with an empty house and no dog inside 😎

Do you use the bright cap on the Plexi’s and older Marshall models? I’m genuinely curious because I almost never do. It’s too much for me. The bright effect is related to the pot setting and I’m a classic rock gain player so the effect is very prominent.
3 way switch, 2 custom selected caps to my taste. Nothing better than having it this way.

Back
Top Bottom