Marshall 9004 w/ Quadraverb preset replacement ideas.

mwd

Power User
Years ago my buddy playing an Ibanez strat style guitar thru a Marshall 9004 and Quadraverb. The sound was nice (at least in our memories) but the rig was a bit noisy. The two sounds I remember were a crunch power chord sound with nice verb and a searing lead sound with a touch of echo. I told him 'I can't see the Axe III not being able to replicate that sound without the noise'. Having said that I have no idea where to start. Any ideas?

Years ago my buddy playing an Ibanez strat style guitar thru a Marshall 9004 and Quadraverb. The sound was nice (at least in our memories) but the rig was a bit noisy. The two sounds I remember were a crunch power chord sound with nice verb and a searing lead sound with a touch of echo. I told him 'I can't see the Axe III not being able to replicate that sound without the noise'. Having said that I have no idea where to start. Any ideas?
Which Quadraverb? I have an old Quadraverb GT in storage, and used the Quadraverb II after that in the '90s.

In any case, I would start with the Marshall JMP pre model or maybe the JCM800 for crunch. There are too many flavors of delay and reverb to mention individually, but anything that the Q did should be able to be done with the Axe III....

Leon has a video comparison of the 9004 and JMP1....

Reactions: mwd
His Quadraverb is in storage too...lol. He's going to check it out. He may have the Marshall stored too. Wanting to see if it's as we remembered it. This was in 2000.

I had watched the Leon Todd vid on the 9004 and he also did one on a Quadraverb. Was hoping he designed a preset that kind of simulated the combo. Realizing the Quadraverb has a bunch of effects. My buddy found his units (not the power supplies yet). He has the Marshall 9004 and the Quadraverb GT.

I got many miles out of the quadraverb gt back in the day. Solid piece of gear for sure. I used it with a rocktron chameleon, and a peavey something or other gain dohickey preamp. It was killer.
I don't miss it one bit.

The 9004 was a genuinely "not that great" budget rack preamp. I had one for a short time in the early 90s, but replaced with a JMP-1 really quickly after that. I'd suggest just going straight to the JMP-1 models in the Axe FX, they can do similar things, but the JMP-1 was streets ahead in tones of much the same vein. I nearly got a 9001 preamp instead of the 9004, because it had 3 channels and some tubes, and many years on I'm left wondering if it would have been a better choice. JMP-1 had midi, and I had a Boss Me-5 that could send the patch changes, so it was a "no-brainer". :tearsofjoy:

Seriously though, I was back with a single 4x12, 50 watt head and a bunch of stomp boxes pretty soon after. Axe FX II was the first time I got lured back to rack amps. Seems to have stuck.

Liam

Back
Top Bottom