Marketplace.org interview with Gibson CEO

Being the owner of a 1980 Les Paul Standard, a 2007 Les Paul Custom and a 1982 Flying V. Listening to that interview jus F***ing killed me.
The above guitars are my babies, they simply have more personality and are just better tone machines in general, than any Fender Ibanez and Music Man guitar I have ever owned, not taking away from these companies because they are also fantastic guitars also. I guess I am a Gibson guy!
Saying that: I am aware of their bad quality control and so on and always had hopes and at times had seen some hope of it getting better.
I have tried some of the new Les Paul Standards, the one I tried sounded great played well and looked nice. (I may have gotten lucky)Because like allot of you guys I have tried allot of clunkers in the past. When you get that “one “ its magic!! But you have to hunt and peck, and the problem is--. You should not have too!!! Especially at those prices. Not a big fan of the robo-tuners but they did work well. Sorry much as I love Gibson I can’t justify that cost.
Henry is just poison to this company. Like Gibson, hate Gibson, I think most will agree this will probably be the year that the company is getting flushed at warp speed.
Nice way to kill a legacy, thanks Henry!

John

Because like allot of you guys I have tried allot of clunkers in the past. When you get that “one “ its magic!! But you have to hunt and peck, and the problem is--. You should not have too!!! Especially at those prices.

In defense of this interview all I can say is that seemed more like a fluff piece targeted for the Marketplace.org audience, but not aimed necessarily at musicians.

It has been my experience over many years that Gibson quality control has been all over the map. Paul Reed Smith makes guitars that are consistently high quality that are priced about the same as Gibsons, and PRS has shown that at the high end there's zero excuse for poor quality.

Ernie Ball Musicman instruments are a great example of guitars that are reasonably priced and very high quality. I've played many over the years and never felt like I was surprised to find a special EBMM, because they were all excellent.

Exactly. He stands in the way of any new business from me... pretty much the opposite of why I'm a FAS customer, Hank exhibits no real interest in the tools he's made. Its like he's describing himself as their customer base, bunch of weekend warrior account execs who keep Harleys tucked away in their garage.

Totally. "Blues Lawyers". The total antitheses to what made Gibson a top name. Rather, it was Page, Lifeson, Slash, Bloomfield, Young, Carlton....those guys and other players who made music their lives, paid their dues, practiced until their fingers ached, made music from the heart. What about the next generation of those guys?

Back
Top Bottom