Mark Five vs Mark IIC+ - John Petrucci Mark IIC+ Comparison

Hehe, I watched this minutes ago when someone posted about it at 7string.
I couldn't help but think "not bad but a bit fizzy and buzzy - I can do better on my Axe..." ;)

Reactions: BBN
I'll be completely honest, i didn't like the sound he dialled for both amps, to me, kind of not shows how much more tone full the Mark IIc+ is.

I'll be completely honest, i didn't like the sound he dialled for both amps, to me, kind of not shows how much more tone full the Mark IIc+ is.

To me it's a really good starting point for achieve your own signature sound, because I think so many people didn't know exactly how they should create a good sound from the beginning, on the other hand if first step of creating a sound doesn't good you will be lost in the AXE-FX ll land for the next steps, So I think it's a fascinating sound !!

Last edited:
I think he has the same sound in the studio when he is recording DT stuff

I doubt that he uses that much gain/overdrive when it comes to multitracking. Also, I'm not sure if those sounds cut through a mix without some serious post-EQ and mixing efforts.

I doubt that he uses that much gain/overdrive when it comes to multitracking. Also, I'm not sure if those sounds cut through a mix without some serious post-EQ and mixing efforts.

He's playing with this guitar or JP13,12,11,.. also this Head, Cab, most of the time traditional recto 4x12, same setting, so it's easy to say that he has the same sound in the studio at first, this sound is the real amp sound but after that, they embellish tones with so many things like you mentioned, I think it's a good incipient sound in order to achieve a incredible tone! on the Axe-Fx ll with tone matching block

To me Mark V sound is newer and more modern tight than IIC+, it's for middle 80 ?

The thing is, I have have heard plenty of clips of IIc+'s, clips that were made by just regular guitar players like most of us here, both from a mic'ed cab & from just the camera's audio, that have sounded a whole lot better than what you hear in this video. I don't understand why his tone sounds loose and unfocused here. That is the exact opposite of what a IIc+ is known for.

For lack of a better term, the IIc+ has a tone "to die for", but here it just sounds average. :?

Last edited:
This sounds as my triple Recto tweaked for LP&tele humbuckers ( Awesome ) when I plug my 8 string Carvin DC800 with high output pickups without tweaking first for less amp drive...

Too much incoming signal front of the amp= pure unpleasing sound a.k.a. Shit

Honestly i'm a huge fan of DT but this is one of the worst sound I heard from a Boogie ... Camera / miked / live / in the room and wathever Otero situation comes in my mind

I love Mr. P's playing and have seen him twice. Given that, the sounds that you guys have made with the Axe Fx II and have graciously shared with old farts like me sound exceptionally better!

The thing is, I have have heard plenty of clips of IIc+'s, clips that were made by just regular guitar players like most of us here, both from a mic'ed cab & from just the camera's audio, that have sounded a whole lot better than what you hear in this video. I don't understand why his tone sounds loose and unfocused here. That is the exact opposite of what a IIc+ is known for.

For lack of a better term, the IIc+ has a tone "to die for", but here it just sounds average. :?

John is truly one of the worldwide experts on the Mark IIC+, next to Founder Randall Smith, If he hadn't liked the sound of those amps he wouldn't have let the camera man set about taking film :), on the other hand Someday our ears is our best friend and someday is our biggest enemy, also on the Axe-Fx ll someday you liked a sound that you spend lots of hour to create it and tomorrow may be you didn't like it, Personally I trust in JP and I'm sure he is so much more strict than us ;).

It might be time for a tube change for that IIc+. They normally sound a lot smoother and tighter than this example.

Back
Top Bottom