March 19 1982 (what a sad day)

6L6C

Power User
Sad day today: March 19 1982 the day Randy Rhoads died, 35 years ago. Dam!

Anytime I think of Randy I can still remember the first time I heard him, a friend had just bought a cassette of the “Blizzard of Oz” from Loony Tunes over in West Babylon (a record store that is still there today BTW). We were hanging out on a dead end street drinking a few beers and so on (maybe about 6 of us): BS-ing listening to Iron Maiden, Jim pulls up in his car “you have to check this out”. We ended up listening to the whole album. Being a 17 year old guitar player it was a HOLY **** moment.

It’s funny how certain things will stick with you. For I am somebody who spends about ½ hour a week looking for my wallet and keys.

But when listening to Randy I often wonder what could have been.

John

Sad day today: March 19 1982 the day Randy Rhoads died, 35 years ago. Dam!

Anytime I think of Randy I can still remember the first time I heard him, a friend had just bought a cassette of the “Blizzard of Oz” from Loony Tunes over in West Babylon (a record store that is still there today BTW). We were hanging out on a dead end street drinking a few beers and so on (maybe about 6 of us): BS-ing listening to Iron Maiden, Jim pulls up in his car “you have to check this out”. We ended up listening to the whole album. Being a 17 year old guitar player it was a HOLY **** moment.

It’s funny how certain things will stick with you. For I am somebody who spends about ½ hour a week looking for my wallet and keys.

But when listening to Randy I often wonder what could have been.

John

Awesome guitarist for sure..gone too soon. RIP Randy.:(

Randy was a huge influence of mine. I'll never forget the moment I heard of his passing. I was young guitar player at the time. I had been rearranging the posters on my bedroom wall for the nth time. Nearly every inch of my walls were covered with my heros. The announcement on the radio happened at the exact moment I was putting up a pic of Ozzy. It kinda freaked me out.

I'd refer to Randy Rhoads as RR but that would be inadvisable given some of the darker history on this forum...

Anyway, in common with others on here my first experience of hearing his playing was from the Blizzard of Ozz... I ran out the same day and bought the album. To this day I'm still not sure if I particularly like his tone, but it works in the context of the songs, it obviously worked for him and ultimately the technique and emotional playing is what really matters.

Back
Top Bottom