Wish Manual Override of Modifier Assignments

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Pretty straightforward wish, mainly relevant if you use MIDI to control one or more External Controllers as modifiers or if you don't always connect your external controller to your FM3 (say, you leave your EV-1 at the rehearsal space or whatever).

The wish: If a parameter is assigned to an modifier (External Controller in my specific example below) and I adjust the parameter on the unit or FM3 Edit, it should override the modifier assignment UNTIL the modifier controller makes another adjustment. If I manually adjust the parameter, but then move the expression pedal controlling the modifier, then it is once again controlled by the modifier. Essentially, the knob would be a stand-in for that modifier until such time as the parameter received more/new instructions from the modifier.

This could be a passive feature and would not require manually enabling/disabling the feature. It would work intuitively and would cut out some steps and ease frustration.

Example: I have a preset where the pitch block > Virtual Capo's "Shift" parameter is controlled by a modifier attached to an External Controller, which is assigned to a MIDI CC#. The problem is that if I'm on this preset without all my MIDI stuff hooked up, in order to use this preset and adjust the pitch, I have to delete the modifier assignment so I can make any changes. If I were in the middle of a gig and my MIDI gear s*** the bed, it would be best to be able to reach down and twist the knob on my Performance Page to adjust the pitch as needed (or perhaps hit a footswitch that goes to a different channel with a different pitch, etc.).

This concept can apply to ANY parameter attached to a modifier. Without that modifier's assigned controller being connected, the parameter is more or less 'stuck.'

I assume this wouldn't work for EVERY modifier/controller assignment, t like the LFO or whatever, but for the ones like this that send a signal only when something is actively being changed, this would be a life-saver.

To me Axe-Edit and front panel should always be able to override modifier values unless it is an automated one like LFO etc. This would be a very useful improvement for using external MIDI knob controllers.

There is no technical reason why this can’t work as the last thing that changes the value just changes it.

I’m not following how that relates to this wish; can you explain? I understand how that function works, just not how it helps override modifiers. Thanks!
If your controller fails at a gig (the part I replied to) then the Initial Value settings could be used to set "sane" values for those modifiers.

If your controller fails at a gig (the part I replied to) then the Initial Value settings could be used to set "sane" values for those modifiers.
That’s a useful feature but still a workaround and doesn’t solve the problem where you cannot adjust the modifier without un/reassigning it.

That’s a useful feature but still a workaround and doesn’t solve the problem where you cannot adjust the modifier without un/reassigning it.
Precisely. And UG, a specific example is that my downtuned preset has a modifier on the pitch shift parameter in the VC because I use different settings for different songs, called up automatically via MIDI. The initial value is good and set to be 1/2 step down, but if I’m switching to a song where I need it to be a full-step down, then that initial value isn’t helpful; I would still need to go in and unassign the modifier in order to be able to manually change the parameter to what I needed. I also have these MIDI controlled external controllers on the gain parameters of the drive block, etc. Overall, though, yes; it’s a very nice feature that I use for all of my external controllers ☺️

Back
Top Bottom