Managing presets and using the Axe Live.

Carlos Mario

Hey, everyone!

I just got my hands on the mfc-101, meaning i am officially ready to take the axe to the stage. Only one problem, though...

...I find managing presets on the axe a bit difficult. Allow me to explain:

Lets say you have a set of songs you will be playing, and you want to arange them chronologicaly for a live performance. On other units, you usually have several banks with an average og 1-4 presets in each bank. As everyone know, on the Ultra you have three banks A, B, C, with a strange number of presets in each bank. This is where my head starts to hurt... why does the axe operate with three banks when you dont even have the opportunity to change between them? Or maybe you do?

Being able to manage presets in folders rather than banks would make a lot more sense to me, as it would make the axe much easier to use when managing presets for a live stage. One set - one folder.

Hope this made some sense to you guys.

Makes no sense so far...sorry.
384 presets that you can organize by banks at 5, 10 or 15 presets, that's pretty much.

Not sure I understand either, however, you can certainly use all of the presets (and select them via MIDI). I believe this is made much easier with the MFC than with a standard foot controller. Selecting a preset simply requires the appropriate preset number to be assigned to a foot switch. If you want to assign them chronologically for a live show, I would be looking to program the foot controller as opposed to moving presets around.

Use Song Mode and put your Axe presets in the MFC by chrono order by bank / preset. For instance, your first song is preset 1, bank 1, Axe preset 54, second song preset 2, bank 1, Axe preset 73, etc.,

I also find the 'Song Mode' the way to go. You can just program and organize everything with the MFC-101 to deliver your presets in the order you want.

I run the MFC using the 'banks of 5' method, leaving the remaining IA switches primarily for effects blocks. So 'Song 1' is set so the first 5 switches point to 5 different presets. 'Song 2' points to another 5 presets, and so on. I try to think of 'Songs' on the MFC as 'banks', but not to be confused with the banks on the Axe FX. They're two different animals. With each bank on the MFC, I tend to focus on a particular amp. For instance, I use Song 1 for my Friedmans, Song 2 for JCM 800's, Song 4 for Mesa, etc. It's easy and fast to do on the MFC. I created table in a Word doc to keep track of my settings and for quick reference until I get them memorized. Here's a screen shot below.

You can achieve the same results by programing your set list in to your MFC in any order your want. And you can also set your bank size on the MFC to 5, 10, or even 15. Your call.

Sort them, name them, copy them........organize them any way you want. That's the beauty of the Axe FX and the MFC.

MFC-101%2520Template.jpg

Thanks guys! And sorry for the bad explanation! In my case, Song mode definitely seems to be the way to go.

Again, thanks a lot! :)

Back
Top Bottom