Making the wah block sound like a filter block?

gdgross

Experienced
Hi all - I had a thought this morning. Is there a way to make the wah block sound like the filter block set to low pass?

Specifically like the envelope filter in John Mayer's I don't trust myself with loving you?

I've got a filter block setting that gets me pretty close, but I thought I could save myself a bit of CPU if I could get the wah "y" state to get close enough. So far no luck, all the sounds I was able to achieve in the wah block are either too dirty (even with drive=0), or too "spikey"/bright. I've got the modifier curve/damping (envelope follower) just about perfect but the tone isn't really right.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Maybe try rolling your guitar tone knob off combined with the wah. Might get close enough for live use. Filter block is pretty low CPU, so that's probably your the best bet.

I am 90% sure he got that sound with a Mutron.

Just built a killer new early JM patch this week.
TwoStone 35 #2 & swapped the tonestack to Skyline

I use a Mutron for a lot of my sounds.
As soon as I hit that combo, that was one of the first riffs I played!! Spot on!

spent some time w the wah block last night and got close enough for me. Not as good as my filter block but I'd be happy with it if it weren't for this:

Can i use a separate controller for the x and y states of the block? as in x: pedal (external 2 in my case) for controlling wah as normal in the y state: control via the envelope filter?

Seems like when i set one the other state of the block has to use the same controller?

Welp never mind then, this throws out my whole plan hahaha. Back to the filter block it is then.

Anyone ever requested this feature from fractal?

Anyone ever requested this feature from fractal?
Yes. It's very, very hard to implement. What happens when you switch block sides and the controller attachments change and the settings are different? You get step functions in parameter values. Possibly a moment where there's nothing attached. Super hard to solve.

Sorry I just re-read and I think I am missing the question here.

You want to use one block, Wah OR Filter, to achieve 2 separate sounds?? Regular pedal wah + Autowah/Mu-tron

Nothing simultaneous? Just saving CPU by using 1 block?

Yep you got it- one block, but as I just realized, this won't work since I can't use different controllers for the x/y states....

Sorry we can't help you on that one.

I just spent a few minutes setting up a filter block to match my best Mutron wah block.
Never been happy substituting a filter block for a wah until I set this one up...

Just shared a version of this earlier today, but credit where credit is due.
Reading this thread has been making me build some great new sounds this week!!

Attachments

• TwoRock Skyline! +Fltr.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sorry we can't help you on that one.

I just spent a few minutes setting up a filter block to match my best Mutron wah block.
Never been happy substituting a filter block for a wah until I set this one up...

Just shared a version of this earlier today, but credit where credit is due.
Reading this thread has been making me build some great new sounds this week!!
Thanks, I'll
Check out the patch when I get home later today :)

FWIW I usually layout five identical patches where 2/5 of them have a wah block and then the third has a Mu-Tron filter block in it and then 4 and 5 do something else special. That's how I get my my AFII "everything and the kitchen sink" presets to fit in the AX8. Works out because it's pretty rare I want to use both a wah and a Mu-Tron effect in the same song so I just switch presets before the song.

Reactions: ELC
Back
Top Bottom