Making the switch From Friedman BE-100 to Axe-Fx III

Hey mate. Curious to see what you're using.

I'm using a matrix GT1000fx Power amp. Occasionally I'll run through the FX loop of an amp, or use a tube power amp if theres one available. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, they all sound different. Weightwise the matrix is the easiest on the back

Expensive in comparison to buying an Axe FX 2, FX8 or AX8.
Axe 3 + FC, that's like ~3000 dollars in the US...
And an AX8 is ~1300 dollars.

But an Axe8 is one ok processor with limits on cpu, fx, amps and routing (no usb, no headphones), whereas the 3 has 2 smoking “hot chainsaw thru a nun”tm cpus with channels, scenes, better amp modeling, better and more fx, far better routing with lots more to come.

Again, Chevy corvettes vs. F1 Scudaria Ferrari. Sure, both are “cars with 4 wheels”. Of course the the prices are different, as is the capabilities/performance.

Seems obvious to most folks; no? :confused:

Now I'm starting to feel like the AxeFX III might be overkill for what I'm doing. The main thing that was appealing to me about it was the faster preset switching, but I think 9 times out of 10, I'd just be using scenes anyways.

Now I'm starting to feel like the AxeFX III might be overkill for what I'm doing. The main thing that was appealing to me about it was the faster preset switching, but I think 9 times out of 10, I'd just be using scenes anyways.
I felt the same way, had the AX8 for over a year but recently bought the Axe-Fx III just to see if it was worth it.
The Axe III is definitely worth it, and I would never call it overkill, even if it only gets used exactly how my AX8 is currently used.
No replacement for having the best product available, no matter how much or little of its capability you use.

I am happy owner of both setups. Friedman BE100 with 11 pedals + wah. Get yourself good pedal/amp switcher and no more tap dance at all. GigRig G2 in my scenario.

I am happy owner of both setups. Friedman BE100 with 11 pedals + wah. Get yourself good pedal/amp switcher and no more tap dance at all. GigRig G2 in my scenario.
I've considered going that route and it looks awesome, but to me, it feels pricey on top of the expensive amp. Also, just so many patch cables. I'm sure good custom cables will be super reliable but prices/weight just add up. I feel like the switcher thing is perfect for folks that are in love with their particular pedals, which I am not. Looking to get more complex tonally, but simplify the actual rig. I care a lot about good tone, but I'm not married to any of my particular pedals so I feel like Fractal's effects would be just fine for what I'm after. The main effects I use are:

Delay (short, medium, long, and washy sound)
Reverb (normal, and super wet washy sound)
Octave Down
Octave Up

So switching between all that stuff while trying to nail the downbeat of a chorus can be a pain. My board at the moment is:

In front of the amp: Polytune > Diamond Compressor > Micro POG > BB Preamp > Phase 90 > Boss NS-2 Gate
In the loop: Boss CH-1 > Boss DD-500 > Hall of Fame Reverb

90% of the time it's the drive channel of the BE-100 and some light delay. Anyways, just sort of thinking out loud here.

I can almost get all that squeezed into an AX8 patch although it won't be completely gapless when switching amps. Axe 2 and 3 no problem.

If you think about all the different tones you want to use, you can set up scenes to do what you need. Such as:

Scene 1 (rhythm) = Friedman BE + short delay
Scene 2 (clean) = Clean Amp + compressor + reverb
Scene 3 (wet clean) = Clean Amp + comp + chorus + delay + reverb
Etc

Those scenes you can switch to with one switch. It will do all the switching and routing. One cable in, one cable (or two for stereo) out. Really slick.

Only thing I would caution is don't sell everything before trying the modeling route. If you hate the modeler, that's a lot of time and money to unwind.

I've considered going that route and it looks awesome, but to me, it feels pricey on top of the expensive amp. Also, just so many patch cables. I'm sure good custom cables will be super reliable but prices/weight just add up. I feel like the switcher thing is perfect for folks that are in love with their particular pedals, which I am not. Looking to get more complex tonally, but simplify the actual rig. I care a lot about good tone, but I'm not married to any of my particular pedals so I feel like Fractal's effects would be just fine for what I'm after. The main effects I use are:

Delay (short, medium, long, and washy sound)
Reverb (normal, and super wet washy sound)
Octave Down
Octave Up

So switching between all that stuff while trying to nail the downbeat of a chorus can be a pain. My board at the moment is:

In front of the amp: Polytune > Diamond Compressor > Micro POG > BB Preamp > Phase 90 > Boss NS-2 Gate
In the loop: Boss CH-1 > Boss DD-500 > Hall of Fame Reverb

90% of the time it's the drive channel of the BE-100 and some light delay. Anyways, just sort of thinking out loud here.
If you have some money to burn, send all your pedals to best-tronics. They’ll make you a killer board and custom wire the whole thing. They’ve built me 2 boards already. Not cheap but well worth it.

Thanks so much for all the input folks! I agree about not selling my current rig before going digital. I just bought my first house so I'm feeling the squeeze a bit more financially at the moment. I'm thinking an AxeFX II rig might be the answer for what I'm after, or honestly an FX8 with my BE100 would probably be the most practical.

Thanks so much for all the input folks! I agree about not selling my current rig before going digital. I just bought my first house so I'm feeling the squeeze a bit more financially at the moment. I'm thinking an AxeFX II rig might be the answer for what I'm after, or honestly an FX8 with my BE100 would probably be the most practical.
Why not an ax8? You’d get 90% of the effects plus amp models for only a couple bucks difference. You can still run it 4cm with your Friedman or run it stand alone.

Looking to get more complex tonally, but simplify the actual rig. I care a lot about good tone, but I'm not married to any of my particular pedals so I feel like Fractal's effects would be just fine for what I'm after.

Get an FX8, it would be my choice if I had your setup and your needs.

Does the Ax8 have amp channel switching capabilities?

No, you have to use an amp gizmo or similar controlled by MIDI. I used a voodoo lab control switcher when I did this. The MIDI is limited on the AX8; it only sends PCs when changing scenes if I remember correctly.

No, you have to use an amp gizmo or similar controlled by MIDI. I used a voodoo lab control switcher when I did this. The MIDI is limited on the AX8; it only sends PCs when changing scenes if I remember correctly.

So the FX8 still looks like the best choice in hybrid setups, IMHO.

Are PC´s in AX8 enough for switching channels on non midi amp ? I have ax8+ friedman JJ and I would like to be able switch things all at once stomp (channels on amp + FX from my ax8 using scenes).

thanks,
Tomas

You would need an interface such as the Voodoo Labs Control switcher to pull that off. That particular unit can be configured to respond to CCs or PCs. I used it with a BE100 and it worked great.

Not only could you mic up the cab, but you could use the Axe to shoot an IR using your optimal mic position and then use that to go direct and not worry about changes in stage volume affecting your miked signal.

I think if you're considering the possibility of going straight to the board at some point, it's best to go with the Axe FX 3. Even if you star out using it with a power amp into a cab, if and when you decide you want to make the jump to direct to board you already have the best modeller. I can tell you it becomes pretty appealing showing up to gigs without lugging amps and cabs. There are lots of monitoring options. Just saying you may end up there sooner than you think. If not and you stick with the cabs, you still have a killer flexible unit that will serve you well live and in the studio. The effects in my opinion are half the battle, I found when I was using Helix I couldn't find a drive model that I liked, on Axe FX I can't find one I don't like. And let's not even start with how great the reverbs are.

if you just need a few solid rock tones the BE100 is a better playing experience. Axe is super versatile but the BE is pretty much the perfect amp.
Get the best of both worlds and go four cable.

Back
Top Bottom