Making the Most of the FC-6?

Rane

Experienced
The FC-12 is too long to fit on my current pedal board and is more expensive that I'd prefer to pay, so I'm likely going to be purchasing an FC-6 when the opportunity arises.

6 buttons isn't very many. My Liquid Foot has 12 and I still use an external pedal with 4 extra buttons.

Here's my thinking as to how the FC-6 should ideally be configured for my workflow:
  • Layout 1: 6 scenes
  • Layout 2: Pedal AI switches (I'd probably have delay, drive, reverb, modulation, pitch, compressor).
  • 2 external switches for preset up and preset down
  • 1 external switch for tap-tempo
  • 1 external switch for tuner
  • 1 external switch for toggling between layouts 1 and 2
The very last point is the one I have questions about. My LF can be configured to set an expression pedal input as 2 switches. I just have to wire some resistors into the buttons. I wonder if the FC's can do this as well? I'm aware they seem to have two dedicated dual button switch inputs. I'm wondering if the expression pedals can be configured that way in addition to these.

I also wonder if FC switches can be set for such specific behaviors as toggling two layouts?

My thinking is that a single button to quickly toggle between two different layouts would be an ideal live situation. On presets where scenes have been configured to specific songs, use layout 1. On general presets, layout two. Even in an "emergency" where a song's preset scenes aren't working out, a quick tap of the toggle could give you more direct control.

Any other ideas on how to make the most of the FC-6?

Last edited:
Don't forget about press and hold switch settings.

You could use those to do things like change layouts, etc, without an external switch.

For me scenes do everything I need. Scene toggle would be nice. I really don't like the tap dance of a pedal board. I understand the option to turn on an effect here or there but now you have to keep track of all that info. I do understand what you are saying about the layout toggle though. I have been in situations where a reverb or delay or even a GEQ is not working and I have wanted to turn it off.

The FC-12 is too long to fit on my current pedal board and is more expensive that I'd prefer to pay, so I'm likely going to be purchasing an FC-6 when the opportunity arises.

6 buttons isn't very many. My Liquid Foot has 12 and I still use an external pedal with 4 extra buttons.

Here's my thinking as to how the FC-6 should ideally be configured for my workflow:
  • Layout 1: 6 scenes
  • Layout 2: Pedal AI switches (I'd probably have delay, drive, reverb, modulation, pitch, compressor).
  • 2 external switches for preset up and preset down
  • 1 external switch for tap-tempo
  • 1 external switch for tuner
  • 1 external switch for toggling between layouts 1 and 2
The very last point is the one I have questions about. My LF can be configured to set an expression pedal input as 2 switches. I just have to wire some resistors into the buttons. I wonder if the FC's can do this as well? I'm aware they seem to have two dedicated dual button switch inputs. I'm wondering if the expression pedals can be configured that way in addition to these.

I also wonder if FC switches can be set for such specific behaviors as toggling two layouts?

My thinking is that a single button to quickly toggle between two different layouts would be an ideal live situation. On presets where scenes have been configured to specific songs, use layout 1. On general presets, layout two. Even in an "emergency" where a song's preset scenes aren't working out, a quick tap of the toggle could give you more direct control.

Any other ideas on how to make the most of the FC-6?

You’d rather have 5 external switches than pay a little extra for the 12?

The width is a valid concern that Rane mentioned. I've got the LF 12 as well and it fits great on a PT-2 with a mission and a fractal expression pedal. I'd even have room to add some external switches on the board, but I haven't needed to. I'm considering switching to the FC-12, but if I want to keep both pedals I probably need a wider board. Right now all my gear fits in my car just perfectly without much to spare, and I'll need to see if I can do a wider pedal board.

The FC-6 plus external switches might let me stick with the same board. No, it wouldn't be as nice as having the FC-12 (with which I could still add more switches if I wanted), but the 12 might just be too long. I do get the advantage of 2 rows with not having to reach your foot as far, but the 4 x 3 layout of the Liquid Foot has worked really well for me.

You’re going to need a bigger boat.

Get the 12 and a larger pedal board.

A larger pedal board is just too much. Aesthetically, as well as practically.

Don't forget about press and hold switch settings.

You could use those to do things like change layouts, etc, without an external switch.

Yeah, there’s a few functions that could work on the press and hold settings. It’s just not ideal for anything that needs to be changed on the fly.

You’d rather have 5 external switches than pay a little extra for the 12?

It won’t fit on my board. I like my expression pedal layout. I don’t want my board any wider than it already is. I also already have a 4 button external switch. None of the functions I mentioned require feedback from the scribble strips, so it makes sense to put them on external switches (even with a 12).

What’s wrong with exploring the outer limits of what these units can do? All the functions I mentioned could be valuable on the 12. I currently use all but one of them on my Liquid Foot 12.

If the FC units can toggle layouts quickly with an external pedal, it dramatically affects how far the unit’s buttons can go. Plus, why waste a scribble strip on a static button?

A larger pedal board is just too much. Aesthetically, as well as practically.

Yeah, there’s a few functions that could work on the press and hold settings. It’s just not ideal for anything that needs to be changed on the fly.

It won’t fit on my board. I like my expression pedal layout. I don’t want my board any wider than it already is. I also already have a 4 button external switch. None of the functions I mentioned require feedback from the scribble strips, so it makes sense to put them on external switches (even with a 12).

What’s wrong with exploring the outer limits of what these units can do? All the functions I mentioned could be valuable on the 12. I currently use all but one of them on my Liquid Foot 12.

If the FC units can toggle layouts quickly with an external pedal, it dramatically affects how far the unit’s buttons can go. Plus, why waste a scribble strip on a static button?

It sounds like you got it figured out brotha. Everybody’s gig is different, and what works well for one dude might be a terrible fit for another. I get where you’re coming from on your pedalboard size, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and stick to it, or else we’d all be using massive monstrosities. After years of using gigantic craziness, I decided my limit is that has to be able to be within the physical requirements of being carry on luggage. The MFC101 plus an expression pedal both fit in a small Pelican case with wheels and a handle that is the largest size compatible with TSA standards. The pedalboard I have the MFC101 mounted to is 19” wide, the MFC101 is 16” wide, but the FC12 is 20” wide so I’m wondering if I’m totally boned. In short, I feel your pain, man.

It sounds like you got it figured out brotha.

Hopefully the FC's are configureable enough to work as I think they should.

Everybody’s gig is different, and what works well for one dude might be a terrible fit for another.

Agreed, everyone's workflow is different. I'm a little surprised to see that no one else is scheming about how they're going to configure these things when they're released.

I get where you’re coming from on your pedalboard size, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand and stick to it, or else we’d all be using massive monstrosities. After years of using gigantic craziness, I decided my limit is that has to be able to be within the physical requirements of being carry on luggage. The MFC101 plus an expression pedal both fit in a small Pelican case with wheels and a handle that is the largest size compatible with TSA standards. The pedalboard I have the MFC101 mounted to is 19” wide, the MFC101 is 16” wide, but the FC12 is 20” wide so I’m wondering if I’m totally boned. In short, I feel your pain, man.

I do wish the the FC-12 was 3 rows like my LF 12. Seems like a more efficient use of space, especially consider that an expression pedal is usually about that deep anyway. But, like you said, what works for one person is terrible for someone else.

It is rather silly to be on a waiting list for a product we know almost nothing about! Yet here I am! I've owned enough Fractal products to know one thing, it won't suck. It may not be the perfect solution for me or you but it will probably be pretty dang good. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm going with the FC-6 as well. I have a specific board with a couple of the smaller EV-2 pedals on it and that one will fit perfectly for my needs.

Back
Top Bottom