Making an "FX Loop" toggle preset.

Romo82

Experienced
I know this can be done using scene changes but I'm trying to do something within one scene. I just want to be able to turn on/off or pan-to a diverted signal path so I can treat it like an FX loop on an amp and be able to "cue up" different pedals within the loop path and then simply engage the loop at will.

I've tried it with a Vol/Pan and Mixer block but had no luck, I would either end up with all effects on, no matter the panning, or losing signal depending on the block. To be honest I dont spend enough time in the utility side of things within Fractal and I'm sure this should be straight forward but I'm not getting it. Added a SS to show what I'm trying to do. Basically have the signal either go out from the Cab into the Pan and then either straight through to Out or down through the "loop" and then to Out.

Attachments

• FX Loop preset.jpg
    FX Loop preset.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 34
Not sure how?, since he wants to select between two output rows after Cab - multiplexer or mixer selects from input rows only.

Within the same scene, I tend to do this type of thing with two volume blocks, with bypass mode set to mute on both, and switching both blocks' bypass on and off in opposition to one another. See attached preset which uses a switch or pedal on External1 to switch from: cab output path=row3 to cab output path=row4. There's probably other ways also.

Lower your monitoring volume as this patch uses pink noise as a test tone.

1682272763929.png1682272819872.png
1682272788862.png1682272850564.png

Attachments

• output switch.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not sure how?, since he wants to select between two output rows after Cab - multiplexer or mixer selects from input rows only.

Within the same scene, I tend to do this with two volume blocks, with bypass mode set to mute on both, and switching on and off opposite to one another. See attached preset which uses switch or pedal on External1 to switch from: cab output path=row3 to cab output path=row4.

Lower your monitoring volume as this patch uses pink noise as a test tone.
Bypass state was what popped into my mind first. If you broke off to the virtual loop, and made the first block bypass state as mute, engaging/bypassing that one block should turn the “loop” on and off. I’m not home so I can’t test it, but I can’t see why that wouldn’t work as a simple on/off for the items in the loop only.

Bypass state was what popped into my mind first. If you broke off to the virtual loop, and made the first block bypass state as mute, engaging/bypassing that one block should turn the “loop” on and off. I’m not home so I can’t test it, but I can’t see why that wouldn’t work as a simple on/off for the items in the loop only.
This issue I see with using one on/off block at the beginning of the virtual loop only (row4), is that when that on/off block is set to "on", dry signal will still be passing through row 3 affecting overall tone and level - that's why I have 2 opposing on/off blocks in the example above - when row4 is On, row3 is Off and vv.

Edit: I guess the one off/on block only solution could work if the Chorus/Delay/Reverb were all set up for parallel routing, but I think it "in series" in this case.

Last edited:
Since the screenshot the op shows doesn't have room for a muxblock, I would just use the mixer in the output block, set to mute the
appropriate row on one channel, and then vice versa on another channel, and toggle between the two channels with one of the switches on the FM9.

Since the screenshot the op shows doesn't have room for a muxblock, I would just use the mixer in the output block, set to mute the
appropriate row on one channel, and then vice versa on another channel, and toggle between the two channels with one of the switches on the FM9.
this^^, if you are going to combine them - the example I posted assumes you don't want to combine them downstream for whatever reason.

Thanks a lot guys, I'm working through these suggestions. The Multiplexer seems to have worked except for trail cut off's and proceeding signal input so I'll see how the other methods work too but I'm thinking I need something tied to bypass/mute input signal somewhere in the chain to possibly get that flowing but for now I'm good to go!

Season 9 Thank You GIF by The Office

If dry level staying constant is ideal/acceptable you could do this. Aside from fixed dry level, this does the same thing soundwise as the example from @sprint in post #4 without using a control switch (if you want an onboard switch as the master "loop" toggle).

seriesloop.png

Or since all those blocks have an input gain control, you could make this a 1-row preset, use Mute FX In bypass mode and have a control switch toggle all their input gains from 0-100.

In the preset posted in the first post:

Add a "transparent" block like a null filter or flat EQ on the main path that's parallel to the "FX loop" path. Set the bypass mode to mute.

Use a Control Switch to turn that block on while turning the delay block off and vice versa (delay block should be set to Mute FX in).

Edit: oh. That won't quiiiite work because if you turn the juat delay off, the others won't work either. But I think as a concept that can work...

I have been wanting to do something similar to emulate an Adam Jones pedalboard. I managed it with a multiplexer block. Scene 1 goes through the path with effects. Scene 2 is the dry path. The amp blocks on either path are identical. I used per preset overrides to set the layout so one button toggles between scenes. The other buttons are for individual effects (all effects are set to scene ignore).

So I can select a few effects and turn them all on at once by swapping scenes.

8ACBBE5F-8306-4FBD-B908-AA981A4363F8.jpeg

I have been wanting to do something similar to emulate an Adam Jones pedalboard. I managed it with a multiplexer block. Scene 1 goes through the path with effects. Scene 2 is the dry path. The amp blocks on either path are identical. I used per preset overrides to set the layout so one button toggles between scenes. The other buttons are for individual effects (all effects are set to scene ignore).

So I can select a few effects and turn them all on at once by swapping scenes.

View attachment 120573

I’m going to give that a go, we’re you able to retain trails going this way?

I’m going to give that a go, we’re you able to retain trails going this way?
I didn't check but I doubt it. I am using just like 1-2 repeats there so it's not an issue.

So you want the repeats from the delay to continue after going to the dry path? Now you're just getting greedy lol.

I bet there's a way. Lemme see if I can figure it out. Fun puzzle game 😂

Yeah this works.

In this one, the dry path has Send 1 and Return 1.
The effects path has Send 2 and Return 2.
Scene 1 has Return 2 set to Mute FX Out.
Scene 2 has Return 1 set to Mute FX Out.

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 8.44.54 AM.png

Oh I forgot you want to do it within one scene.

Instead of using a scene change, you can set the bypass states of the return blocks to use the same CS. Invert the Parameter Range on the CS for one of them so that the CS works as a toggle. Done. :)Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 9.00.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 9.01.28 AM.png

Ok @Romo82 here it is using your preset. Only uses one send/return. Just use a switch to turn on/off the return 1 block. Also, make sure to set the effects bypass states to thru instead of the normal Mute FX in for parallel stuff. That assumes you'll never have the "loop" on without any of those effects engaged.

Screenshot 2023-05-07 at 9.14.03 AM.png

Yeah this works.

In this one, the dry path has Send 1 and Return 1.
The effects path has Send 2 and Return 2.
Scene 1 has Return 2 set to Mute FX Out.
Scene 2 has Return 1 set to Mute FX Out.
You don't really need two identical amp blocks there. Route the two rows into a multiplexer just before one amp block. Assign a control switch to multiplexer input and delay input gain parameters. (This will allow separate Mute FX In bypass of delay, otherwise you could just assign CS to delay bypass.)

Back
Top Bottom