Make your FRFR sound like a Combo?

teddis

Fractal Fanatic
Say you wanted to experiment with making your FRFR.....sound like a Combo, or regular head/Cabinet.

How would you do this? My OUT 1 will stay with AMP - CAB , etc to FOH, stereo.

So pick off out 2 before the CAB ?
But how would you deal with the full range frequency response of the FRFR ......to make it sound like a regular rig.
Is this possible without an IR ??

BTW, my FRFR is a Friedman ASC 12.

So pick off out 2 before the CAB ?

Not likely to sound good, much less like a combo.

But how would you deal with the full range frequency response of the FRFR ......to make it sound like a regular rig.
Is this possible without an IR ??

IR's simulate the freq response of cabs (including roll-offs) so you want to use an IR and tweak low and high cuts. Other tricks are using IR smoothing and room parameters. Another option is to use far field (FF) IRs or blend FF with normal near field. Another option is to simulate a cab with a GEQ in the thread yeky83 posted. Sometimes I like a mix of an IR and the GEQ trick above panned L/R. Gives girth, punch, and clarity.

The main limitation is that an FRFR speaker (or even two) can't replicate a dipole response of an open back cab. In my experience, there tends to be an interaction of an open speaker with LF room modes (as well as other spatial effects) that is different from from monitors or a closed-back cab. (see post below)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom