Make A Tone

I have been racking my mind and just cant get it there. Can any of you tone experts make this effect? The song is Vow By Garbage. I have the tone of the guitar but cant get that effect in the intro right. Its just the panning gated effect in the intro riff.

I cant post a link to the song on this thread.
Band: Garbage
Song: Vow

Using an Axe FX II running Quantum 2.

Thanks,
Chris

maybe some sort off reverse delay, or a lfo that ramps the volume up on the signal and the delay repeats?

Sounds like a volume auto-swell into an 8th note ping pong delay. Use the envelope controller with the attack time turned up to get that auto-swell effect with a Volume block. Play short staccato chord stabs and the envelope controller will shave off the initial pick attack giving you that reverse-gated sound and then reset between chord stabs. The panning delay fills in the rest.

Upon closer listening, it sounds like a quad-tap delay with no feedback (each 8th note apart) filling in all the panned parts since the repeats have a consistent level with no overlapping between chords. Taps 1 and 3 are panned a bit left and taps 2 and 4 are panned a bit right. Sounds like each chord is hit only twice per measure, on the one and right between the two and three beats.

After a bit of online digging, it seems that the intro was done with studio magic. It's a programmed pattern of recorded chord strums from a sampler. The repeating samples makes it sound like ping pong or auto panning delay repeats, but the samples are individually panned either left, right, or center and the pattern played makes it sound like panning. It's also gated and run into the console really hot to make it sound even more gritty and distorted. Found a couple of different videos of them playing it live and it seems that they use panning and gating to recreate it live. Duke Erikson is actually strumming the chord pattern like on a Tele. In one of the live videos you can hear samples or keyboard playing along with him as well.

Based on how they play it live, I'd say using the sequencer in the Axe to program a panning pattern would be the way to go. I'll do some tinkering and see if I can come up with a patch or some blocks.

Last edited:
Try these on for size. Included csv file in case you can't import my XL preset. 3 blocks Vox AC30, Factory Cab 122 (Class-A Mix), and a Vol/Pan block. The rest is the square wave LFO on the volume and a sequencer on the Balance. 8th note tempo on both. About 128bpm. I used a bit of dampening on the Volume modifier to soften the hard edges of the square wave. If you hit an big open chord and listen to the decay you can pick out the panning pattern and can match it to the chords for the 1 beat.

Check out the live vid here to see how he strums the pattern. He's accentuating the up strokes.

Attachments

• Vow Intro.csv
    16.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Vow Intro.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
  • VowPanTrem_20160310_211943.blk
    251 bytes · Views: 14
Figured that might be the case. I'm on Q2.01.

It's pretty easy to recreate. Put a Vol/Pan block after the amp and cab. Assign a modifier to the Volume parameter and set source to LFO1A and turn dampening up to around 20 to 30ms. Then assign another modifier to the balance parameter and set the source to Sequencer. At the Control menu, set LFO1 type to square wave, set tempo to 8th note, and turn duty up to about 80%. For the Sequencer, set it to 8 steps, set tempo to 8th notes, and turn the run switch on. For the sliders, 1=50%, 2=10%, 3=90%, 4=50%, 5=10%, 6=90%, 7=10%, and 8=90%. Set the preset tempo to about 128bpm. If the panning and trem get out of sync while you are adjusting things, cycle the run switch on the Sequencer and it should reset back in sync.

Check out the live vid here to see how he strums the pattern. He's accentuating the up strokes.

I'm convinced that the intro in that live video is a sample. Something just doesn't look right about the timing of the strumming timing? Also, you can hear that same part beginning again at 3:51 and nobody is playing it? Also the headphones on the drummer was another possible clue??.....

Having said that. I think the attempts so far are really pretty good. With a bit more effort, the studio version could be 'nailed' in my opinion.

Yeah the more I watch it, it looks like he's playing along with samples. Sounds like his part is panned to the right and samples to the left. Hard to tell for sure. With a bit more tweaking you could get close enough that most people would recognize it. You can get decently close with ping pong delay too. Good enough for rock n roll anyway. ;)

Mr. Fender version is amazing. I'm trying to recreate it and damn near have it but don't have that almost beating sound. Can anyone make this in a sysx for an FX II?

I upgraded to Q2.1 so I was able to import the pan/vol block. What settings are you using for the delay?

Last edited:
I didn't use any delay in that preset. Just the Pan/Vol. The square wave LFO on the volume parameter gives the "beating" tremolo sound. Vox AC-30 is called Class-A 30W TB in the Axe.

It was genius what you did to create the sound. If you have axe edit you have to right click or double click(can't rememeber)on the center of the volume knobs and balance knobs. Then I had to change the balance settings for the sequencer on the axe fx, because I couldn't figure that out in the axe edit. So it's awesome, because it does this volume swell and then pings back in forth from the speaker. I think i'm correct on this. Anyways, Mr Fender is the man for this sound... Really really cool!!!!

I didn't use any delay in that preset. Just the Pan/Vol. The square wave LFO on the volume parameter gives the "beating" tremolo sound. Vox AC-30 is called Class-A 30W TB in the Axe.

Mr Fender THANK YOU so much firs I upgraded to Q 2.1 and that helped out! I was able to import your tone block. The tone is damn close SOOOOO damn close I cant thank you enough for your help on this. Sorry for so many questions. Any suggestions on the sharpness of the sound. I did all your steps but somewhere I don't have the sharpness of the sound. Can you upload your amp block. I was able to get the AC 30 installed.

Back
Top Bottom