"Mainstreet" guitar solo preset

drh11

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a preset for the guitar solo for Bob Seger's song "Mainstreet." It has a great, tasteful guitar solo with a singing tone. I haven't been able to recreate it with the Axe-Fx II XL+ yet and haven't found anything with a search of this forum. I was wondering if anyone knows of any presets that come close to it.

Last edited:
I spent some more time today working on a preset to try and capture the sound of session player Pete Carr's solo on the intro of Bob Seger's tune "Mainstreet" and am pleased with how it came out. I am guessing that Pete double tracked his part but this patch approximates the tone. I used dual amps and cabs, with Esoteric ACB Drive, Ambient Stereo Delay, & Rich Hall Reverb. It works quite well with my guitar (Gibson Les Paul) using the neck pickup (490R) into a FRFR setup (RME UFX audio interface & Event 20/20 BAS studio monitors). I have posted it on the Axe-Change and is titled "My Mainstreet Lead." I'm sure others can get closer to the original sound depending on their gear, but hopefully this preset will be useful for some. Here is the link to it: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=5536

Legend has it that all Pete used was an MXR+ into some type of random amp that just happened to be on hand at the studio ....

I tried switching out the Boost block in drh11's preset and playing with the mix ..., I'm just not able to get even close to the main solo sound .... It doesn't sound like a distortion or overdrive unit .... The overtones that are created almost sound like a Fuzz of some type. But I tried those too ..., and didn't really have any success either ! To me ..., it's more important to get the combination of the Delay & Reverb correct .... Then if you've got the correct licks down, it almost doesn't matter ....

In fact ..., when that was in the set list of one of the bands I used to play in ..., I did the intro and the little parts between the chorus/verse and the outro, but we had a sax player that did the main solo ....

Last edited:
I'm just not able to get even close to the main solo sound .... It doesn't sound like a distortion or overdrive unit ....

I am finding that my preset is working pretty well for the repeating lick from the intro with a lot of vibrato. If it's any help I have the Les Paul volume at 8 and tone at 10. The patch is in stereo which makes the sound more expansive, but it's not as good if you are using a mono setup. Also, this preset does not work that well on the lead guitar parts around the two and three minute marks of the tune. That seems to be more of a fuzz tone.

It often seems to be hit or miss in terms of using presets. I've heard posted examples of presets on the forum created by others that sounded fabulous, but when I downloaded them and used them it was often quite disappointing. There are so many variables with different guitars, pickups, amplifiers, monitoring systems - and of course the firmware that the person was using. I would be interested in trying other patches for this tune that anyone comes up with.

Back
Top Bottom