MainStage not seeing Axe Midi In- SOLVED

Theurge

Live, I used to use ableton to run loops and tracks, send midi clock etc, but it also changed patches and scenes via midi over usb into the axe. Worked great.

For a number of workflow reasons, I've moved to using MainStage, and, while I realise I can't use it to change scenes at different points in a song (maybe one day MainStage will have a simple midi sequencer) it should be able to send program changes on patch-change. Trouble is, when selecting where to send the P.C. from the drop down menu,it sees the Axe's midi out, but not the midi in.

I've tried re-installing the drivers, and tried a different usb cable. Even checked the axe is on USB adapter midi mode. Like I said,worked fine on ableton. Is it a MainStage issue?

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Oh yes, forgot to say, as it doesn't see the axe's midi in, it also won't send midi clock, which is a bummer for me too.

Did you try selecting the MIDI out port?

FYI, USB adapter mode isn't required for this to work, but it won't prevent it from working either.

Yeah, didn't work. Have even tested different usb ports on my mac. Just ran old ableton rig, Works as always.

Last edited:
The Axe-FX II MIDI Out port is the correct one to use. Something else must be the problem. Did you see the MIDI in LED light up when trying to send any commands w/ MIDI Out selected?

Working now.

You know when you click on the patch list in edit mode, the patch attributes pops up. Because it included 'change tempo to' in my head I assumed it was a 'midi out' parameter, and the rest of those options were midi out ones. Probably because I am a hardware instrument guy, and changing tempo to me is primarily 'send a changing midi clock message out' kind of idea.

And because of that.. I assumed 'program change' you see there was also a midi out message. I'm guessing it is actually the program change in message that loads the patch, then? Would be clearer if they labelled it with an 'in' or 'change with'.

Have now adjusted the midi out PC change settings on the external instrument channel strip, and ticked 'start sending midi clock' and it is working fine.

Now all I need is for Apple to impliment something that will send basic messages in much the same way as the playback instrument for those synchronised scene changes. Then I'll totally misunderstand that too and be back with some obvious mistake that carefully reading the manual will solve!

Thanks all for your time!

Back
Top Bottom