Main interface suggestion for AES or SPDIF connection with Axe FX III

Mladen

Due to the DAW and Asio driver limitation of using only one audio interface, I would use an AES or SPDIF connection of the Axe FX III with the main interface.
Does anyone have any experience to suggest which audio interface I should get to work with Axe FX III via AES or at least SPDIF connection? Through my research, I came to a dilemma between the RME Fireface UCX II (or UFX II) and the Steinberg AXR4U. There would be a USB connection with the host PC. RME has USB2 connection and Steinberg USB3 but RME has a very well developed USB2 driver and excellent technical support.
Any suggestions?

RME has lots of videos explaining why you don't need USB3 for audio, they are right, but seem oddly stubborn about that.
I'm guessing they have invested engineering capital into optimizing for that USB2 chipset, and don't think they can recoup the cost to redo that with USB3.

For me it didn't matter I couldn't find a new RME fireface UCX II for purchase, at least not in the US.
I think they have have had supply chain issues since the AKG(audio/DAC chip supplier) factory fire

Assuming your single ASIO device limitation prohibits you from some other input you desire, vocal mic, etc?
I'm out of my depth when it comes to mic preamps, but that pre-amp selection/capability seems like it would be a bigger variable based on taste/dsp capabilites.

The digital is easy, there isn't much "quality" to it, they just have to not mess it up.

AES or SPDIF, it's all bits, and the Axe is going to be 48k two channels. Unless you need to physically route that digital via xlr cables, I wouldn't get hung up on lack of AES, signal wise it's all equal. Your interface is going to be clocked at 48k(internal or external clock) to make that work.

MOTU new ultralike mk5 sounded good, but mine flaked out, and I hated the physical interface, main volume knob right next to headphone.

My dream would be for the RME ADI-2 Pro FS to have the most minimal of monitor mixing capabilities :)

In that price range, apollo is good if you have thunderbolt interfaces.

Below that price range, the always in stock, boring pick, focusrite clarett+ pre4, which I where I ended up for now.
I don't really use the mic inputs, so for me it's just digital mixer(USB/DAW and Axe spdif), and "good enough" DAC to monitors.

RME has lots of videos explaining why you don't need USB3 for audio, they are right, but seem oddly stubborn about that.
I'm guessing they have invested engineering capital into optimizing for that USB2 chipset, and don't think they can recoup the cost to redo that with USB3.

For me it didn't matter I couldn't find a new RME fireface UCX II for purchase, at least not in the US.
I think they have have had supply chain issues since the AKG(audio/DAC chip supplier) factory fire

Assuming your single ASIO device limitation prohibits you from some other input you desire, vocal mic, etc?
I'm out of my depth when it comes to mic preamps, but that pre-amp selection/capability seems like it would be a bigger variable based on taste/dsp capabilites.

The digital is easy, there isn't much "quality" to it, they just have to not mess it up.

AES or SPDIF, it's all bits, and the Axe is going to be 48k two channels. Unless you need to physically route that digital via xlr cables, I wouldn't get hung up on lack of AES, signal wise it's all equal. Your interface is going to be clocked at 48k(internal or external clock) to make that work.

MOTU new ultralike mk5 sounded good, but mine flaked out, and I hated the physical interface, main volume knob right next to headphone.

My dream would be for the RME ADI-2 Pro FS to have the most minimal of monitor mixing capabilities :)

In that price range, apollo is good if you have thunderbolt interfaces.

Below that price range, the always in stock, boring pick, focusrite clarett+ pre4, which I where I ended up for now.
I don't really use the mic inputs, so for me it's just digital mixer(USB/DAW and Axe spdif), and "good enough" DAC to monitors.
Yes, RME seem oddly stuborn about we don't need USB3 for audio.
I didn't know about the DAC chip factory fire from the AKG supplier. That explains why you can't find a new UFX+ as well.
Yes, RME ADI-2 Pro FS nice peace of gear 😊.
I love apollo all from UAD but I am Windows environment and USB.
You didn't say anything about the Steinberg AXR4U. Or don't you think it makes the shortlist here?

Don't know much about Steinberg/Yamaha interfaces. Couldn't find any independent reviews.
One of their big features is a high sample rate, with the axefx3 as a digital input, you won't get to use that crazy high sample rate, 384khz.

Re: UA Apollo, on PC, the USB3 might be thunderbolt, it's just not always thunderbolt.

I'm hoping RME re-designs something around available chips, or AKM(not AKG as I have above) chips become available.
AKM stated they are supposed to be back in mass production sometime this quarter.

Last edited:
Yes, RME seem oddly stuborn about we don't need USB3 for audio.
I didn't know about the DAC chip factory fire from the AKG supplier. That explains why you can't find a new UFX+ as well.
Yes, RME ADI-2 Pro FS nice peace of gear 😊.
I love apollo all from UAD but I am Windows environment and USB.
You didn't say anything about the Steinberg AXR4U. Or don't you think it makes the shortlist here?
Why do they need usb 3 or thunderbolt? My interface is bud powered usb2 and works flawless with like 3ms roundtrip latency.

Rme is the best at what they do imo. I believe they don’t need usb 3. When they do, they will use it.

Just like if cliff says I don’t need a Randall Rg100-ES or century 200, I believe him. Until he says I don’t.

Don't know much about Steinberg/Yamaha interfaces. Couldn't find any independent reviews.
One of their big features is a high sample rate, with the axefx3 as a digital input, you won't get to use that crazy high sample rate, 384khz.

Re: UA Apollo, on PC, the USB3 might be thunderbolt, it's just not always thunderbolt.

I'm hoping RME re-designs something around available chips, or AKM(not AKG as I have above) chips become available.
AKM stated they are supposed to be back in mass production sometime this quarter.
Thanks for this information I appreciate it.

Rme is the best at what they do imo. I believe they don’t need usb 3. When they do, they will use it.
I know that and RME has proven it in many ways, but I still wish it was USB3 and that's why I tried to find UFX+ without success.

I don't care about USB3 for audio, it's absolutely unnecessary.

However, not having a USB-C connector in 2022 is utterly archaic (something I desperately wish Fractal agreed with).

I could not find a UAD interface with USB and wired SPDIF or AES support required for Axe FX III.
I have an apollo twin usb3 dual core. It interfaces fine with the axe fx 3 via spdif with 2 optical to coaxial spdif converters.
it's been collecting dust since I got the usb2 rme babyface.

it's for sale...

I have an apollo twin usb3 dual core. It interfaces fine with the axe fx 3 via spdif with 2 optical to coaxial spdif converters.
it's been collecting dust since I got the usb2 rme babyface.

it's for sale...
Doesn't this device only have optical input and not output. I would like to have the possibility of reamping with Axe FX III via SPDIF.
I don't buy used devices, I'm looking for a new one.
I would like to avoid an optical to coaxial conversion so I search interface with wired or coaxial AES or SPDIF connection.

Thanks for another vote for RME 🙂

Presonus 1810C.
It would be unwise to trade my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB for a Presonus 1810C which is quite lower level just to get a coaxial SPDIF connection but thanks for the suggestion Doug. I watched your nice tutorial videos with that interface.

Last edited:
It would be unwise to trade my Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB for a Presonus 1810C which is quite lower level just to get a coaxial SPDIF connection but thanks for the suggestion Doug. I watched your nice tutorial videos with that interface.
I can't find where you mentioned your Focusrite interface prior to this, but even so I would still recommend trying out the 1810C. Are you sure that it's "quite lower level"? I replaced my Apollo Quad + Dangerous DBox setup with this unit and it sounds just as good, if not better. I have my Axe-Fx III running into the Presonus via SPDIF, works great. But yes, the 2 that you are looking at are top notch and quite a bit more expensive. Thanks for watching!

I can't find where you mentioned your Focusrite interface prior to this, but even so I would still recommend trying out the 1810C. Are you sure that it's "quite lower level"? I replaced my Apollo Quad + Dangerous DBox setup with this unit and it sounds just as good, if not better. I have my Axe-Fx III running into the Presonus via SPDIF, works great. But yes, the 2 that you are looking at are top notch and quite a bit more expensive. Thanks for watching!
I didn't mention the interface I have now, because the topic of suggestions is what I should get, not what I have.
I'm sorry if I offended you with the comparison of Clarett and Presonus 1810C. It's just my opinion that Scarlett is in the range of 1810C and that Clarett is a higher level. I am looking for as you said the top notch.

The possibilities are endless. The only real difference of any importance between usb 2,3, and thunderbolt is bandwidth, not really speed. Any speed difference is negligible. Bandwidth matters if you’re recording anything upwards of 16 tracks or so at the same time of 48k. Usb2 will choke first. Very few of us are doing this anyway.
I go spdif into my Apollo. I plug into the Apollo hiz so I can record a clean and an affected track together.

I didn't mention the interface I have now, because the topic of suggestions is what I should get, not what I have.
I'm sorry if I offended you with the comparison of Clarett and Presonus 1810C. It's just my opinion that Scarlett is in the range of 1810C and that Clarett is a higher level. I am looking for as you said the top notch.
Can you explain what "Top notch" means to you? The only need you've mentioned is a spdif interface. A Scarlett 8i6 will work just as well as an Apogee Symphony I/O for that purpose, so you'll have to provide some more details if you'd like meaningful feedback :). For example, are you recording large sessions? If so, how many mics are you recording simultaneously? What kind of sessions are these? Are you recording orchestras?

Can you explain what "Top notch" means to you? The only need you've mentioned is a spdif interface. A Scarlett 8i6 will work just as well as an Apogee Symphony I/O for that purpose, so you'll have to provide some more details if you'd like meaningful feedback :). For example, are you recording large sessions? If so, how many mics are you recording simultaneously? What kind of sessions are these? Are you recording orchestras?
Let me explain: I would like to have a Porche and drive it easily through the streets of the city and always know that it can take off when I want.
It is similar with the audio interface to which my Axe FX III is connected by AES connection. Just to be among the best. And maybe I won't buy it if I don't find what I want. For example I can't find a new RME Fireface UFX+ anywhere. Maybe UFXII or UCX II, although USB2 annoys me. But jamess announced to me the possibility soon resumption of production with them.
And maybe I'll start a new PC configuration with a Thunderbolt connection. What's a shame is that I spend a lot of time on this instead of making music.
Maybe Porche is not the best example, because again I go to the area of speed and not bandwidth, although the essence is the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom