Magical Marsha (sense of humor required)

tgunn

Experienced
I'm a part of a little project where three of us will meet a couple of times a year,
find a song from the 80's, rearrange it, record it and make it super "magical"
in the cheesiest meaning of the word. Then we make a video in the same
fashion and all play our characters (sandy, mandy, randy and solos played by
randy's brother, candy).

Of course, a guitar solo is a requirement for any self respecting 80's song
and this time I used the AxeFx' Marsha. I'm still tweaking my marsha patches
but I'm really digging this amp. It really cleans up nicely. Btw, that part in
the middle is reserved for breakdancing... :shock: :?

If the cheese is too much for you, the solo starts at 4:00 but if you listen to
the whole song you will get a nice tan.

http://soundcloud.com/tommigunn/summer-lovers

ps: the group is called Magical Moments and we've got a couple of other videos up on youtube if you're curious.

... of course soundcloud went offline soon after I uploaded the track. They're back up now

LOL... that was cool... funny... and then the solo... sounds gainy as crap (meant in a GOOD way ), yet clean and clear... can you give details on guitar, pickups, and maybe even share the patch for examination ?

Sounds great !

Cool!

The minute from 2:45 is genius!!!

And in the solo you nailed all the '80s must-in-a-solo :D

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, very much appreciated and
the singer is very happy to hear that even here she's the star ;)

I'll happily post my presets (they've already changed somewhat though).
When recording the solo I basically switched to a crunch preset I had,
added a "tad" of gain and then went from BE to HBE! :twisted: after that
a flurry of notes just came out.

I don't really think this recording really does the Marsha justice :oops:
but as for the guitar, I recorded the solo the same day I got my brand
new Suhr GG FM and what an incredible instrument! Granted, I'm a
total Guthrie fanboy but this is how I'd spec my dream guitar.

Now back to more recording. Not Magical Moments this time though.

I'll post my presets soon in case someone is remotely interested :) Thanks again.

:lol: :lol: :lol: SO MUCH FUN! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks like a lot of work. :shock:

You guys do this just for fun?

I'm really impressed.

It's worth listening to the whole song JUST to hear the solo ! ... but I think the video is almost better than the song !
Looks like you guys have alot of fun ! Cool !

I love the song and the solo and the video, but the other two videos are also great !
My favourite is "Dreams Are My Reality"... :p
It was a huge hit here in France back in the early 80s, a song from a very popular film called "La Boum" (i believe it was released in the UK and maybe the US too, under the name "The Party", but many films had that name).
You can still hear this song hundreds of times every day on the French radios...

Thanks for the great feedback. Yes, these videos are only made for fun but you're right that they take a long time to do... spinning out of control. By comparison, the first time we did a video, it took us a 10 minute trip to the supermarket! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_iAk76rHYs (a very different Duran Duran song that I had never heard... bass drum inaudible on laptop speakers unfortunately). But this was way before I had my Axe of course.

Aside from the videos, we've done a few recordings in the past and they're all covers. Most of the time I've never heard the song before like that Reality song but Kim (a.k.a. Mandy, the "rapper") is German and tells me it was very popular there too. Magical Moments is starting to take time from our "real" bands :lol:

That's a scream! Very 80's authentic shreddy solo, too. Way cool phrasing.

I'm using Marsha for all my Marshall sounds now, what a killer sim (the real ones are killer too but I love my axe too much to ever go back to a single amp).

Loved it. The solo is classic - a) killer playing; b) hilarious video to go with the solo.

Your 'thing' is so ABBA like on video... crazy fun.

Back
Top Bottom