Made up my mind! sort of...

golden blue

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

So ive decided im definitely going with fractal audio for my guitar rig needs. (Once the IRS gets my return to me that is..soon! please! dammit!)

Ive been watching the youtube vid tutorials, read the g66 beginners guide, and pouring through this forum to familiarize myself with this awesome tech before i actually get it. The only thing is im undecided on what to get exactly.

AX8 or XL+

Im strictly a bedroom studio hobbyist guy. I know the ax8 was designed more for live use and the axe fx for studio. Although the ax8 can most certainly be used in a bedroom studio situation.

I understand that i wont be able to run two amps simultaneously with the AX8.

I figure the work around is just record the separate amps in my DAW on two separate tracks kind of like i do now anyway. Or reamp using my current interface. Maybe im missing something in the info overload ive subjected myself to over the last few days...

Second, i use a lot of reverb and delay effects inside my daw after ive recorded the dry tracks. Not all the time but a lot of time. This is also a potential work around to avoid possibly hitting the cpu ceiling. I DO look forward to using the FAS verbs and delays for those instances where ive decided and commited early on to my guitar tone(s) for a particular song. They ARE superb from what ive heard.

Should i go with an XL+ i cant help but wonder if even though ive got the big brother with ALL the bells and whistles, if ill really use them, and if the AX8 wouldve been more than sufficient for my needs. The exact opposite scenario is also true i suppose which leads me to the pedal board. The MFC 101 is Ex-pensive. So is an XL+. I like the idea of having a pedal board as part of my workflow. Is it an absolute must have with the XL? Could i live without for 6 months to a year until i could pick one up?

The AX8: a leaner version of the fxII that may have all that i could really want and need until i can afford the axe fx3 or 4 or whatever someday that is Also conveniently a pedal board! AND less expensive!

What say you all?

Last edited:
Agree with @ChristThePhone. For bedroom use you’re better off with XL. More than twice the processing power. And in bedroom environment you’re better off having the unit on your desk and operate it with Ax Edit.

If you can get a used XL for the price of a new AX8 it might be the way to go.
But a used XL thats in great shape for $1100? I dunno.. All the ads ive seen in the last week are a little steeper than that. Perhaps i need to look a little longer. I do have time until the tax man pays me back after all...

Last edited:
Agree with @ChristThePhone. For bedroom use you’re better off with XL. More than twice the processing power. And in bedroom environment you’re better off having the unit on your desk and operate it with Ax Edit.

Thats definitely something ive considered. What are your thoughts on the mfc 101? It does seem pretty useful. Quicker access. Or maybe its a little redundant for my purposes? Could i easily go without?

For added confusion , I have the AX8 , and couldn't be happier. It's a simpler , version of the II , that's controllable with your feet. It lacks some of the features that you have mentioned , but I am glad it does.
I feel it makes a great first step into Fractal. I've had mine since it was released , and still haven't used it's full potential.
Think over the scenarios of how you are going to use it ( AX8 or Axe-II ) I don't want to lead you in the wrong direction. I'm glad I started with the AX8 , but I was headed down the eventual path towards the II , before the III was announced.
BTW , I will not be selling my AX8 when or after I finally get an Axe-Fx III. Sound , Size , portability , sound , ------ALL too good to let go.
Good luck.

Thats definitely something ive considered. What are your thoughts on the mfc 101? It does seem pretty useful. Quicker access. Or maybe its a little redundant for my purposes? Could i easily go without?

It's great but really only for using the Ax FX II live. At home I never use it for playing/recording. Perhaps if you're recording and you need to switch scenes or something maybe it's useful but you can probably get by without it.

Back
Top Bottom