Made a Youtube video playing Voodoo Chile to expose a wider audience

Wonderful tone!!!
I'm thinking of all who want to reproduce your tone with the Axe (me also?): ok for the patch and IR profile, and the firmware version too, but the first variable is the guitar itself. Which string gauge? You think it's a critical point? The patch can work well with any fender model? For example: I have a very clear Swamp Ash body whit maple neck and keyboard with a standard gauge... maybe I have no chances to reach the tone!!

Wonderful tone!!!
I'm thinking of all who want to reproduce your tone with the Axe (me also?): ok for the patch and IR profile, and the firmware version too, but the first variable is the guitar itself. Which string gauge? You think it's a critical point? The patch can work well with any fender model? For example: I have a very clear Swamp Ash body whit maple neck and keyboard with a standard gauge... maybe I have no chances to reach the tone!!

yes, the guitar is going to be a critical part to the equation, and it should be. Honestly, the BEST part about the AxeFx2 is that it IS like a real tube amp. It only amplifies what you put in. Modellers that try to make your strat into a les paul, or your PRS into a strat is bad mojo IMO. This unit takes the core guitar sound and then puts it into whatever amp you want.

String gauge matters, but everything sorta matters with a guitar. I'd say the most important part of my guitar is how it sounds unplugged. its very resonant and has killer midrange woody qualities to the sound. Its something that is a big part of that good SRV tone.

Very nice! I love how many people on TGP are now ready to buy the Axe after seeing this.

I posted the video on Anthony of Stevie Snacks' wall on Facebook & he said, "I have seen it and now I have to check it out." :)

Wonderful tone!!!

I don't know what kind of pickups you have in your guitar, but let's say you have something based on an early Fender pickup. Assuming that, you'll need to match the gain level properly in the patch and you'll probably need to roll off your tone control a little on the guitar (Possibly to around 6-7ish). If you can play in the SRV style, that should get you most of the way there. Playing it like SRV did is far more important than whether or not you're playing an ash strat with a maple neck. You will need high action and an explosive picking hand technique if you want to really nail it. If you get those things right, the string gauge becomes less important as well. Others will disagree with me on the string gauge bit, but my experience has been that the difference it makes isn't huge and slightly adjusting a few knobs can make up the difference. Just my $.02.

This video is really great, and reminded me that I need to get back to making an SRV patch for my Standard. Maybe over the long weekend I'll get to try. I had a few at one time that I thought were really great, but I never re-did them after FW 11 came out. I never gigged with them, so their wasn't much motivation. I want to make them again though. I had built patches around his SSS and Vibroverb rig, but I think this time around I'm going to hone in on the Vibro more. If I can get a second instance of Axe-Edit running, I'll take a look at your patch to see if you're approaching it the same why I was going to.

It will be interesting to see if we come up with similar sounding results. If I build something good, I'll post it for others to mess with as well.

D

Back
Top Bottom