Made a cab change...

DNW

Power User
Well, I've been using an Atomic passive wedge with my Axe and Matrix set up, and was pretty happy with it. But I started having some problems with low end resonance on certain sounds that I couldn't seem to EQ out, and the tweater is giving some odd noises too. So I started thinking about changing to a more traditional guitar cab set up.

Went ahead with it, and on Sunday I got to put it to use at band volumes. Went with a 2x12 cabinet and put a pair of CL80s in there. Originally tried a V30/CL80 mix, but didn't like what the V30 was doing to the mid-range. The cab sounded fantastic. A little bit of EQ'ing to get it sounding right compared to my low volume guesses at home, but after that everything sounded just right. A different sound to what I was getting with the Atomic (with RW EVM12L IRs), and it's sitting in the mix a lot better now. Also finding it a lot easier to tweak now, but I guess I'd put that and the improvement in sound more down to me simply preferring it this way to sorting through and trialing different IRs and whatnot. No doubt I'll still be doing that and running direct for recording though.

If there's stage room at some places I might still run the Atomic as a monitor, and maybe use it to monitor the violin while having volume control over it for the times I don't want to hear so much of it and whatnot. Will just have to experiment at practices and see what works.

:)

Back
Top Bottom