Mackie MR8 MkII

plyall

Power User
Folks -

Not selling for Mackie here, but I stumbled across the most amazing set of INEXPENSIVE studio monitors. They are the Mackie MR8 MK II. Granted, they are not the top of the line Mackies, but I gotta say that I HATED the first generation of Mackie monitors. These were $250 each at Guitar Center. I went shopping because I blew out/aged out my old Event BAS 20/20's. I expected to lay out about $600+ per monitor, and listened to monitors in that range. The guy that was helping me told me up front that he didn't care for the Mackies. I didn't like the JBL's (too inefficient, not capable of enough low end), the Yamaha's (louder/more efficient), but they were harsh. I listened to the Mackie's basically on the way out the door. Wow. Great response, great imaging, and my jaw dropped when I heard the price! The only downside to the Mackie's is that they are bit large. Because they were so relatively inexpensive (and I had expected much more), I bought an additional set of monitors to give me another perspective when mixing/mastering (such as I do, that is). These were the Tannoy Reveal 501a's. For little monitors, they have amazing range, and was able to pick them up for $160 each. These wouldn't be a bad choice all by themselves.

I auditioned these for about two hours listening to Dire Straits' Brothers in Arms; Dire Straits Love over Gold; Steely Dan's Babylon Sisters, Peter Gabriel's So, and a few other CD's. Frickin' amazing.

Again - I have no interest in either company. In any case, I walked out with 4 monitors for less than I expected to lay out for 2. I have been listening to these for the past two days and they make me smile. I just thought I'd pass this along to folks that may be in the market for studio monitors on a budget.

Go have a listen for yourselves. Obviously I liked them both. Happy auditioning!

Pete

Back
Top Bottom