Mackie HR824 repair question

Chad Beattie

Experienced
I have a Mackie HR824 that won't turn on. I took the amp off and checked fuse which ended up being blown. I replaced that and it just blows the fuse again. Haven't found anyone locally that works on these. So my question is this:

There is a place online that repairs for a flat fee of $155 + $20 shipping. You take the amp off and ship it to them, they fix the amp and ship it back.

Or... eBay has used Mackie HR824's for around the same price. I figured I could take the amp off and swap it out.

Since I have a matched pair from when I originally bought them, would it be better to have the original amp repaired or swap it out. Not sure what makes the biggest difference match wise or if it would even be enough to matter.

Or maybe Cliff or needs something extra todo and I could ship it to Fractal :)

Thanks

It’s likely that you have 1 or more failed electrolytic capacitors in the power supply. I have a pair of 824’s and while still working are showing little issues. One is the power does not shut off with the switch or at least as fast as originally. Also I believe one is a little less loud than the other.

Capacitors have a life span in electronics. As old as these are likely to be, mine as well, it may be time has come for some electronic maintainance.

I wouldn’t suggest buying another pair just for an amp swap as they are likely to start having issues from the same root cause.

IMHO, a little expert TLC will get you many more years of good use. I will be going down this path too.

Good luck. I hope you have the best outcome.

Quick update. Found a place locally that is an authorized Mackie repair. Ended up being a few shorted capacitors. Total repair cost, $90. A lot less than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom