Mackie HD1221 - Line out issue!

Izzyprad

Inspired
Hello,

I gigged with Mackie HD1221 for the first time yesterday, and believe it or not, I had to play the entire set without any guitar sound coming out of these speakers.

First of all, my simple set up:
Axe FX >> 2 x Mackie HD1221(XLR in) >> 2 x XLR from loop out to FOH

We were getting ready for sound check, I plugged 2 x XLRs in LOOP OUT on my 2 mackie HD1221s for FOH, and all of a sudden there was no sound on these speakers. My initial response - WHAT THE HELL!

When I read the manual (pg 15 - http://www.mackie.com/products/hd1221/pdf/hd1221_om.pdf) it said:
" The LOOP OUT jack is wired straight from the main input connector - there is no electronic circuitry between - so the signal coming out of the LOOP OUT jack is ecactly the same as the original signal going in. "

So all this time, I was thinking that I will be able to use these speakers and send the signal from LOOP OUT to FOH simultaneously!

What am I missing here?

Last edited:
I have a mackie but I never ran into this issue. Give a call to their customer support or maybe the guys at Sweetwater
are always very helpful ( that's where I mine). Wish I could help but that's a pretty strange problem you have because it should just work?

Thanks! Yeah I sent them an email regarding that issue. I was really surprised and pissed at the same time to find that out on stage!

i'm not sure why the speaker stopped making sound when you used the loop. not supposed to do that.

the best thing about mackie is their instruction manuals. there's a ton of great "general" information about sound and PAs in there in addition to actual instructions for the product. i mean look at this caption for hooking up the speaker for monitors. haha classic!

mackie.jpg

Thanks!

Exactly, I looked at the picture above from the manual and thought it should work, so I went on stage without testing. Unfortunately that was not the case!

I am wondering if it has to do something with the input impedance of the mixer! Impedance mismatch maybe??

Reponse from Mackie:

"Thanks for writing. Your speakers should still be functioning as normal when utilizing the “Loop Out” output to a line input. Verify that the FOH engineer is plugging you into a line input. If he is using a mic input, make sure phantom power is turned off on that channel. If phantom power is applied to the “Loop Out” it WILL mute the internal speaker, as it does not want to see any incoming voltage. "

Why the sound guy would turn on the phantom power is beyond me. LOL

Reponse from Mackie:

"Thanks for writing. Your speakers should still be functioning as normal when utilizing the “Loop Out” output to a line input. Verify that the FOH engineer is plugging you into a line input. If he is using a mic input, make sure phantom power is turned off on that channel. If phantom power is applied to the “Loop Out” it WILL mute the internal speaker, as it does not want to see any incoming voltage. "

Why the sound guy would turn on the phantom power is beyond me. LOL

Actually this just happened to me also, where does it say there is protection against this ? Just wondering where you got your info from, Thanks!!

I know its a few week old thread, but i am curious of the OP as to why you are connecting like that and not going output 1 of the axe to FOH and output 2 of the axe to your monitors (mackie).

Guess he just wanted to connect via XLR in both cases.
Im using output two for my Eventide eclipse, but actually I ended up using the 1/4" out to my Mackies and the XLR to the board from output 1. I am going in the line in of the board with some adapters in order to not get the Phantom power.

Back
Top Bottom