Mackie goes coax - new DLM series

Tommy Tequila

Experienced
So now there's another entry in the coax sweepstakes, the Mackie DLM series. Of course, they don't call it coaxial (how mundane!), it is a "Mackie designed, vertically-aligned, common-magnet TruSource driver".

Mackie - DLM Powered Loudspeakers: Line-Up

Sweetwater puts the 8" at $699, 12" at $849 so they are pretty much smack dab in the middle range against QSC, etc., with more features.

Could be interesting...

TT

but they are cubes?

They have a kickstand...

On another note, I thought their YouTube video for these was an odd sales technique.
They were demonstrating (in their own way) how a non-coax monitor is a poor design.
Which to me says - "all of the other speakers we designed are no good".

On yet another note.....I'm all over that DL1608 Mixer like a fat kid on a cupcake.
Been on the back order list since they anounced it.

So now there's another entry in the coax sweepstakes, the Mackie DLM series. Of course, they don't call it coaxial (how mundane!), it is a "Mackie designed, vertically-aligned, common-magnet TruSource driver".

Hmm .. interesting, but 3 things put me off:

1) It's class D. I have heard good class D bass amps, I have yet to hear a Class D mid/top that I actually like. I've tried a few, and so far not one has really done it for me.

2) The DSP ... seems to be trying to do rather too much for my liking. When I have paid the money for an Axe FX2, which has 24 bit/ 48KHz A/D and D/A ... putting the output through anything less is just a waste. I'd rather it went through a decent analogue filter than a DSP with a lower bit depth or rate than the Axe 2. I couldn't find a spec on the Mackie site, given what the DSP is is trying to do (speakers, mixer, multi-effects unit) I doubt they have spent too much of the budget on the device.

and finally ..

3) the power rating. 2000W? really? 2000W into a 12" driver, ??? Must be some funny "peak instaneaous, one cycle only, do not repeat test for 20 minutes" figure ... so I am assuming this is just some joke figure to appeal to the plastic-box DJ market ... which tends to make me want to take the other figures with a decent sized pinch of salt too.

I'll pass. This appears to be aimed at the DJ market, with emphasis on bling rather than fidelity.

This appears to be aimed at the DJ market, with emphasis on bling rather than fidelity.

I would tend to agree, especially since the Subwoofer that goes along with the series is a powered 12".

But one interesting point is that the 'mixer' seems to be aimed at vocal effects, etc. Maybe also targetted at solo acoustic acts?

I would tend to agree, especially since the Subwoofer that goes along with the series is a powered 12".

But one interesting point is that the 'mixer' seems to be aimed at vocal effects, etc. Maybe also targetted at solo acoustic acts?

Could well be that ... Or possibly Kareoke? The far-east is a much larger market for this sort of stuff and Kareoke is very popular .. if you look at the combination of inputs etc, it would be ideal for that. It is certainly trying to do a lot ... I'm sure it would make a kick ass system for doing discos art weddings etc.

I just noticed they are quoting 2000W for the 8" too ... too funny.

Well, of COURSE it has 2000 watts -- that makes it at least twice as good as QSC, right?:)

Next is a Behringer with 2001 watts -- for that futuristic spacious sound.

On a more serious note, if these are at all flat/good sounding, they could form the core of a very light and compact rig for the AxeFx. We'll see when then start shipping them, I guess.

RCF, DLM, CFR, CLR... so many choices.

TT

For what it's worth, Mackie used to own RCF. I think the NX series was designed after they separated, but I'm not certain about that. So it might not mean anything, but there's some common lineage there.

For what it's worth, Mackie used to own RCF. I think the NX series was designed after they separated, but I'm not certain about that. So it might not mean anything, but there's some common lineage there.

Are you sure? Mackie and EAW are in partnership. I was not aware of any affiliation between RCF and Mackie in any way.

Are you sure? Mackie and EAW are in partnership. I was not aware of any affiliation between RCF and Mackie in any way.

Not a lot of info out there...but yes, they used to be affiliated.

For folks that know the older RCF ART200 and ART300 series....you can sometimes find them with a Mackie badge on the front.
Also the SRM450's used to be made in the RCF plant in Italy (then later were produced in China). You can find folks advertising Mackie SRM450's made in the Itialian factory as a 'superior' version.

Some chatter on the topic:
PA Advice - Basschat

Not a lot of info out there...but yes, they used to be affiliated.

For folks that know the older RCF ART200 and ART300 series....you can sometimes find them with a Mackie badge on the front.
Also the SRM450's used to be made in the RCF plant in Italy (then later were produced in China). You can find folks advertising Mackie SRM450's made in the Itialian factory as a 'superior' version.

Some chatter on the topic:
PA Advice - Basschat

Interesting. So this is back about 2003-2004 then?

I do not think the NX series (which debuted last year, unless I am mistaken) would have any Mackie influence.

I am a fan of both companies; no implied superiority or otherwise meant in any way. Just facts... wasn't aware of the past Mackie/RCF connection till... today!

Mackie (Loud Technologies) used to own RCF. I'm not sure exactly when they bought them. The first round of Mackie speakers were RCF designed and (I believe) made, if not straight rebadges of existing RCFs. They sold them off around 2004 as stated below, and I'm not suggesting Mackie engineers had any influence on RCF's design of the NX. If anything, the relationship was the other way around -- Mackie bought RCF to get into the speaker business. Maybe they learned something from the RCF guys. But it was 8 years ago. As far as the meaning for this new Mackie speaker, the former relationship may be nothing more than a moderately interesting factoid.

Mackie (Loud Technologies) used to own RCF. I'm not sure exactly when they bought them. The first round of Mackie speakers were RCF designed and (I believe) made, if not straight rebadges of existing RCFs.

Sounds about right, as you say the first Mackie stuff was heavily RCF influenced, used RCF drivers etc, its seems to have turned into yet another plastic box maker since they divested in RCF, the stuff since then doesn't appear to be as good, presumably made in China, and in my opinion has not really as good as the early Mackie stuff.

If you look at the various companies owned by Loud Inc, they have EAW and Martin to do the real stuff, Mackie catches the higher volume, semi-pro and low end pro market in my view.

Their little mixers were always good though, installed loads of those at one time or another.

Hmm .. interesting, but 3 things put me off:

1) It's class D. I have heard good class D bass amps, I have yet to hear a Class D mid/top that I actually like. I've tried a few, and so far not one has really done it for me.

2) The DSP ... seems to be trying to do rather too much for my liking. When I have paid the money for an Axe FX2, which has 24 bit/ 48KHz A/D and D/A ... putting the output through anything less is just a waste. I'd rather it went through a decent analogue filter than a DSP with a lower bit depth or rate than the Axe 2. I couldn't find a spec on the Mackie site, given what the DSP is is trying to do (speakers, mixer, multi-effects unit) I doubt they have spent too much of the budget on the device.

and finally ..

3) the power rating. 2000W? really? 2000W into a 12" driver, ??? Must be some funny "peak instaneaous, one cycle only, do not repeat test for 20 minutes" figure ... so I am assuming this is just some joke figure to appeal to the plastic-box DJ market ... which tends to make me want to take the other figures with a decent sized pinch of salt too.

I'll pass. This appears to be aimed at the DJ market, with emphasis on bling rather than fidelity.

I tried lately one new PA system with class D power amp..And it was totally joke ! You have to divide this 2000 watts by 10..Actually in real life it's about 200 watts due to my experience..

Back
Top Bottom